2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

Just curious for peoples opinions.

Do you consider having read the translation to disqualify author from “never read before”?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you consider having read a different version (e.g. manga vs LN) to disqualify author from “never read before”?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Would you consider news articles or Wikipedia to count for “non-fiction”?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but only if I read a certain quantity
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

Regarding my thoughts for the second poll, since I seen to be in the minority: it’s my understanding that the original writer is not usually involved/heavily involved in the adaptation, so you’re not really reading their work, as it were.

(Granted, you could make a strong case that that’s the same situation as reading one of their works translated, and I did vote that for me personally reading a translated work disqualified that author from having never been read before.)

5 Likes

Exactly, and that’s why I also voted that it’s fine.
I read Terry Pratchett in both French and English and it was a different experience. I guess that’s because the translator was really good and came up with similar puns that convey the same mood while sounding natural in French. So it felt different in terms of writing style, and that’s between two languages that are very similar.
If it’s between Japanese and say English, you may as well have never read that author before.

7 Likes

I personally think it’s different, because to me the essential nature of “author you’ve never read before” is that you’re taking a chance on something where you don’t know what you’re getting – their writing could be great or it could turn out to be not my cup of tea, but either way it’s a step into the unknown, maybe out of my comfort zone. So for me a book where I’ve already read it in English or where I’ve read the story in some other medium doesn’t meet the “something unknown” aspect I want for that square.

10 Likes

For me it would depend on the context. If you are reading the original of a book you have already read, then the novelty might be low, although, for a very literary book, I think the writing is very important so I would still count it.
But if you are reading a different book, in a different language, I feel like the author might just as well be new to you.

(At the end of the day, people can fill their bingo card whichever way they want, though)

7 Likes

Sounds like so much fun ! I couldn’t help but join (2 days before the new year is not too late right ? :sweat_smile: ).

Here is my card :

12 Likes

Of course not! Hopefully we’ll have people join even after the challenge formally starts as well.

9 Likes

So how does reading a “higher natively level” book work? Only the highest level book you’ll read in 2024 counts, or the first time you surpass your 2023 highest level or…?

3 Likes

The original/official prompt is

8 Likes

This sounds like a fun challenge so why not, I’ll give it a go. Good excuse to read things you might not have otherwise. Here’s my card https://bingobaker.com/#658fdf69e61dcc15.

Items ticked off:

11 Likes

I’d like to participate:

For the qualifier tile, can you pick the prompt or does someone need to assign it to you?

12 Likes

I believe you can pick it yourself.

6 Likes

Edit: I’m using the spiced up version of trying to fill the board as fast as possible by only counting books that tick at least 3 boxes (boxes may have been ticked before to avoid deadlocks).

Well, I finished 麦ふみクーツェ | L34?? today. It took me 14 hours, but I read it in a single day and it is a prize winner (never heard of that prize, but if they think it’s worth mentioning on the cover, it’s good enough for me).
Nearly a bingo on day one :rofl:

Edit: I guess I could nominate it for “bad cover”, but I really liked it (also, it’s a present, so I can’t really say I chose it despite or because of the cover)

Edit3: Oh wait, it was also a new author for me… doesn’t really matter though.

15 Likes

1 down, though I planned for this specifically, or I would have struggled to get this one ticked off.

10 Likes

Looking at books over 43 for the Higher Natively Level box, I was immediately attracted by 砂の女 | L45 (learnnatively.com), so much so that I wanted to start it right away. Guess what, no ebook :frowning:

9 Likes

A few of us are planning to have an informal club for 春琴抄 | L52?? at some point this year (probably not immediately as I think we’re all a bit burnt out on clubs right now). Feel free to join!

Plot (from Google):

盲目の三味線師匠春琴に仕える佐助の愛と献身を描いて谷崎文学の頂点をなす作品。 幼い頃から春琴に付添い、彼女にとってなくてはならぬ人間になっていた奉公人の佐助は、後年春琴がその美貌を何者かによって傷つけられるや、彼女の面影を脳裡に永遠に保有するため自ら盲目の世界に入る。

It’s romance and I know you don’t like romance, but if it’s anything at all like 痴人の愛 it will be ridiculous fun

7 Likes

It’s interesting to see how when we get to these higher grade levels we’re reliant on one or two users for the grading (almost all of them seem to be from bison).

I’m probably going to skip the “higher level” book, but I added a link to Amazon and cdjapan for the physical book version of 春琴抄 | L52?? since I was looking at it.

7 Likes

Yeah, that can cause some issues although with enough people reading it will even out. I want to say この本を盗む者は | L36 was L41 when the club picked it and it dropped significantly. I also got some comments a year or two ago to the effect of I was under leveling things and it had an outsize influence since I was often the only reader, although again, once some more people had tackled it it would wind up in an ok spot.

11 Likes

No ebook but certainly worth a read (and order of a physical copy)! One of my favorites! :smiling_face: I hope you like 砂…

Editing to add since I have a monkey brain and didn’t think to include it in my original post: Besides 砂の女, 午後の曳航 | L45 is tied for most difficult at level 45. I aim going to aim for 仮面の告白 | L49?? as my highest level read this year as I’ve had the paperback sitting on my shelf for a while. That is in addition to any informal 谷崎潤一郎 club read alongs.

7 Likes

I’ve just started コンビニ人間 for workplace setting. Seems good so far :smiley:

9 Likes