Add Visual Novels & Video Games

For what it’s worth, I think:

• Most of the time, it might be easier to treat releases as part of a family of games (without implying any kind of sequence) and have relationship information like prequel/sequel/remake/etc. if it applies.
  • Adding rating locking to any part of this adds more complications than it is worth, and every game page should just be rated on its own. What if content matter is different? What if furigana, voice over, a switch shortcut between EN/JP or a log function was added?
3 Likes

I think I agree that’d be ideal… have it be a ‘collection’ or ‘family’ rather than a 'series. Unfortunately though, we only really have series right now to indicate connections. I think it’d be best to use series for the time being.

Hmm, I guess I’m somewhat wary that we’d get enough gradings per game. I’m assuming most VNs and video games will have many items in these families and I’d assume that people will somewhat randomly distribute over them?

I do agree that it could be noisy, but it very well could be similar to books, where the ‘noise’ in the ratings is well worth the tradeoff of having more gradings.

We could of course start out with individual gradings, see how it goes and then switch to some locking if we like? Maybe that’s the best course of action.

2 Likes

I think that might be the way, yeah.

2 Likes

This feels like it’s going to get messy quickly when you have a series of games were each individual game has gone through multiple re-releases; see Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, or Metal Gear Solid. The content in all of those is going to vary based on which release of the game it is, too, so you can’t really collapse then into one item for every entry in the series.

3 Likes

Yes. Higurashi for example has significant differences in content across releases on different consoles and PC and even between the original and modern PC releases.

Newer re-releases of other games (especially common on 3DS → Switch ports, for example) may also add features that affect the difficulty for a language learner meaningfully, such as more audio clips, furigana, logs, pausable cutscenes etc.

Going back to Higurashi as an example, each episode is so long, that at least personally I’d want to be able to mark them off as completed as I go were I to attempt it in Japanese.

3 Likes

In the case of Higurashi at least, I believe those episodes are actually sold as individual units anyway, so it would make sense to break those down into their own Natively entries.

2 Likes

It seems to be one massive series with all the chapters separate on IGDB, like you’re describing.

So under the current proposal, yes, they’d all get separate Natively entries in that series, but with different difficulty ratings.

4 Likes

FYI - this feature is now in progress! We will be doing IGDB only to start off. I’ve had some chats with people and I know they’ve had issues with some VNs not being on there, but it makes sense to start there and then add VNDB afterwards.

See here - Big Picture - Natively Upcoming Features (2023-2024) - #59 by brandon

18 Likes

Just pressing the :heart: button is not enough for that, so:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I’ve been wanting a Natively for video games for a loooooong time

8 Likes