初心者のライトノベル読書会 📚 Beginner's Light Novel Book Club L20-29

I think it’s more useful to check the dictionaries that are included; the requirements of a Japanese middle schooler or university student don’t really map well into the different levels of development of a foreign language learner. For that particular model the J-J dictionaries are good (Meikyou has good simple explanations a lot of the time, and Koujien will help with words that are more obscure and not in Meikyou), and the collocation dictionary is probably handy. The J-E selection is the usual “cheaper model” ones, though; no Kenkyusha JE, in particular. On the other hand the price is right so especially if you’re mostly transitioning towards monolingual dictionaries it could be ideal.

1 Like

@Megumin @pm215 that is quite helpful - thx!!

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B08MW29HND/

This is the fancy one I have.

AS @pm215 mentioned, I bought it after looking at the dictionaries.
This one has beginner, and more advanced in the same device.

2 Likes

I decided to give it a go, and bought the first one you linked… Will be curious to see how much use/benefit comes of it, when it gets here in 2 weeks :slight_smile:

Worst case, if it turns out I don’t like it, I could find someone to pass it on to. Thx again to you both!

3 Likes

I can tell you is not a bad one the one I bought used for 20EUR, but my Kanji game was not there when I got it, so is a bit hard on me.

Let me know how it fares to you!

2 Likes

Book:

Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: yes
(Optional) Is this book available in Korean?:

Summary - Japanese

【恋をした。フラれた。どこにも行けないあたしは猫になった。絶対泣ける青春ストーリー!】
中2のあたしは同級生の日之出に恋してる。
毎日アタックしてはフラれているんだけど、おかげでついたあだ名はムゲ(無限大謎人間)。
学校では男子に嫌がらせされ、家に帰ればお父さんの婚約者がいて、居場所なんてどこにもない。
でも、あたしにはとっておきの秘密があった。白い子猫に変身できるのだ。
毎晩あたしは猫になり、日之出のもとに通うけど、ある日を境に人間に戻れなくなり…。

Summary - English

The line between human and animal starts to blur when a peculiar girl transforms herself into a cat to gain the attention of her crush.

Content warnings if known

bullying

Why are you nominating this book: it’s been on my list for a while now but it’s supposed to be an easier read and it has a furigana version. It also contains cats :joy:

5 Likes

Book:

Is there an audiobook available?: not that I could find
Is there an all-furigana version available?: yes but it changes by dropping a chapter - https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4046311703/ref=nosim?tag=natively0d-22
키노의 여행 01권 | L30??

Summary - Japanese

世界は美しくなんかない。

「キノはどうして旅を続けているの?」 「ボクはね、たまに自分がどうしようもない、愚かで矮小な奴ではないか? ものすごく汚い人間ではないか? なぜだかよく分からないけど、そう感じる時があるんだ……でもそんな時は必ず、それ以外のもの、例えば世界とか、他の人間の生き方とかが、全て美しく、素敵なものの様に感じるんだ。とても、愛しく思えるんだよ……。ボクは、それらをもっともっと知りたくて、そのために旅をしている様な気がする」 ―――短編連作の形で綴られる人間キノと言葉を話す二輪車エルメスの旅の話。今までにない新感覚ノベルが登場!

Summary - English

The story follows the travels of Kino, a young adventurer who rides a talking motorcycle named Hermes. They explore the people and cultures of different places throughout their adventures, spending only three days at each location.

Guns, human trafficking, suicide, murder, death. Lots of heavy topics are implied if not fully broached.

Why are you nominating this book: I have read it before and found it very thought provoking but it’s not for the faint of heart. It deals with some heavy topics and can be very descriptive. It reminded me of a more adult orientated version of a story I read as a kid. I think a few people have mentioned wanting to read this so I thought it would be a decent recommendation.

5 Likes

Book:

Is there an audiobook available?: not that I could find
Is there an all-furigana version available?: yes (link in natively profile for both furigana version shown in the pic and non-furigana version)

Summary - Japanese

お母さんの「花」、雪の日に生まれた姉の「雪」、そして雨の日に生まれた弟の「雨」の三人家族には人には言えない秘密があった。二人の子どもたちのお父さんは、じつは、おおかみおとこだったのだ…

Summary - English

The story covers 13 years and begins with a 19-year-old college student named Hana who encounters and falls in “fairy tale-like” love with a “wolf man.” After marrying the wolf man, Hana gives birth and raises two wolf children—an older sister named Yuki who was born on a snowy day, and a younger brother named Ame who was born on a rainy day. The four quietly lived in a corner of a city to conceal the existence of the “wolf children,” but when the wolf man suddenly dies, Hana decides to move to a rural town far removed from the city

None that I know of

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve seen the anime for it and thought it was quite wholesome.

Book

Is there an audiobook available?: not sure
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no
너밖에 들리지 않아 | L30??

Summary - Japanese

私はケータイを持ってない。なぜなら、私には友達がいないから。だから毎日空想をして、憧れ続けていたある日。頭の中に鳴り響いた美しいメロディ。それは、同じさみしさを抱えた少年からのSOSだった……。

Summary - English

Calling You
A girl creates an imaginary cell phone…which one day rings. The boy on the other end claims to be calling from his own imaginary cell phone…

Kiz/Kids
Two damaged children bond over one’s ability to heal wounds.

Singing Flower
A patient at a hospital finds a flower with the face of a girl, that hums a beautiful melody.

Death, sacrifice, I think it is quite heavy hearted and may be depressing or triggering for some people.

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve found 乙一’s writing to be relatively straight forward most of the time, simple to read and easy to understand. Hoping this is of a similar vein. It’s a collection of short stories which I find I enjoy more and it also has supernatural aspects to each story which can be interesting.

7 Likes

Korean versions of recent noms:

The last one is the 乙一 book.

4 Likes

Thank you!! I hadn’t gotten around to looking for those yet. Will update the nomination list :slight_smile:

@CatDQ can you add them into your posts when you have a moment?

3 Likes

Btw we’re at 14 nominations so far!! Should we start voting tomorrow, or wait a bit more, in case anyone still wants to nominate?

In any case, I wanna wrap that up before December 1st, to give people as much time as possible to order the book, if needed. So Nov 23 is the latest voting would start.

3 Likes

I have read this. Loved it. Furigana version is available: 角川つばさ文庫版 きみにしか聞こえない | L27
Not 100% sure they are the exact same stories, but if you have the non-furigana version, you can check:

• きみにしか聞こえない
  • ウソカノ

I have CWs in my review, if anyone needs them.

5 Likes

I’ve the non furigana version.

First two are the same but the third story is 華歌. Might need to see if I can get the other version to read that last story

2 Likes

Will add after my lesson :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

tbf, it was the weakest story of those three and it’s probably included in another collection from that author, I’d assume. So, if you keep reading, you’ll eventually come across it. :smiley:

1 Like

No answers yet - that’s what you get for not making this a poll :laughing:

• Let’s vote now
  • Let’s wait a bit more
0 voters
5 Likes

I did consider doing that lol

That begs the question though… How long does your poll stay open for? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nov 23 of course :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just for gathering sentiment, so you can act on it any time you want.

1 Like

Alright, seems like the overwhelming majority want to vote. Poll will remain open until 11/28 Midnight EST (UTC-05:00), so vote by then! You can vote for up to 5 books. Nominations List link, for easy reference

What will our first novel be?
  • ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う。
  • 痛いのは嫌なので防御力に極振りしたいと思います。1
  • 僕と死神の七日間
  • くまクマ熊ベアー 1
  • 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった… 1
  • 黒猫ニャンゴの冒険 レア属性を引き当てたので、気ままな冒険者を目指します
  • また、同じ夢を見ていた
  • サマーウォーズ
  • 明日をくれた君に、光のラブレターを
  • おまえをオタクにしてやるから、俺をリア充にしてくれ!
  • 泣きたい私は猫をかぶる
  • キノの旅 1
  • おおかみこどもの雨と雪
  • きみにしか聞こえない
0 voters
7 Likes

Just to make sure everyone sees, since I added the note a bit late: you can choose up to 5 books. Looking forward to seeing what we pick :slight_smile:

5 Likes