📚 bibliothecary's bibliophilia 📚

:kr: Korean :heart_eyes:

I’ve been focusing a bit more on Korean recently, so just a quick update!

Reading

Looking at my finished books, there was a 3-month period (Nov-Jan) when I didn’t finish a single Korean book. :melting_face: Although I did read during that time, it was definitely less consistent than before (for various reasons), but thankfully I’ve become motivated to dive back into Korean again.

I’ve finished a few childrens books and some 만화 (been dipping into various series like Goldilocks! :laughing:). I’ve just finished 너의 유니버스 | L22, and as I was reading, I realised that with this particular book the reading experience has been so smooth and enjoyable. I didn’t need to look up many words (I got a little annoyed any time I did, because it broke my reading flow), and most of the time I was reading (and understanding) relatively quickly and easily.

It’s nice to come across a book (that’s not a picture book or graded reader) that doesn’t take much effort to read. Obviously looking stuff up is just a part of learning, and it’s going to continue for a long time, but it’s nice to have a break and just read read.

I don’t know why I always have to write huge essays on short books, though. :sweat_smile:

Hanja

The topic of hanja came up the other day, and it’s been rolling around in the back of my mind, since it’s something I think would be useful. After a bit of consideration, I think I’ve found a learning method that I’m happy with, so I’ll try it out and see if I like it.

I’m using this anki deck, which has just under 2k cards (I’m guessing the ones learned in school). I’m planning to learn them by grade, as specified on 한자사전, and adding examples from the hanja app. I’ve edited the cards, so the front just has the hanja, and the back looks like this:

I think if you weren’t bothered about the actual Chinese characters (understandable if you’re not planning on reading academic/archaic/high-brow stuff), it would still be useful to learn the meaning/reading (사람 인 in this example), as it can help with memorisation and guessing the meaning of new words you come across.

I’m not sure if I’ll learn all the ones in the deck - I’ve come across some already that don’t have any examples on the hanja app, and naver doesn’t seem particularly good at finding words if you only search individual hanja. Just gonna suspend them for now, I might have a look to see if there are other Korean dictionaries that do better with their results.

I’m also gonna make an effort to add hanja to my vocab notes. I might just display the hanja on the vocab cards, or add a hanja card type… We’ll see.

6 Likes