👨‍❤️‍👨 BL Book Club 🎓 BL University 📚

@shablul Have you requested these to be added to Natively? If not, I can do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did 2 of them, the third I forgot, thanks for the reminder lmao

2 Likes

花馨る雨の名を
Book type: light novel
eBook available? yes
Audiobook available? unknown

Summary - Japanese

あの雨の日を忘れられない。

入谷友紀の自慢の店『水華茶荘』は中国茶専門のカフェだ。
客足は少ないけれど、好きなものばかりを揃えた店は居心地がいい。
ある雨の日、客もいない店でお気に入りの中国茶を淹れたところにひとりの客が訪れた。
精悍な顔立ちのスーツを着た青年、長谷部だ。
どうやら長谷部は入谷のことを知っているようで……
それから、雨の日になると現れる長谷部と親しくなるうちに、入谷は自分の気持ちが友情ではないことに気付きはじめて——
恋に臆病なふたりの不器用な恋の物語。

Summary - English (own translation)

I will never forget that rainy day.

Iriya Yuki’s pride and joy is his shop, Suikachasou, a café that specializes in Chinese teas. It doesn’t get much foot traffic, but the shop is cozy, filled with the things he loves.

One rainy day as he’s about to brew himself a cup of his favorite Chinese tea when the shop is empty, a single customer drops in: a sharp-featured young man in a suit, named Hasebe. Somehow, Hasebe seems to know him…

On every rainy day thereafter, Hasebe appears at the shop, and as they grow closer, Iriya begins to realize that his own feelings toward Hasebe aren’t purely those of friendship…

The clumsy love story of two men who are timid when it comes to love.

Content warnings

There’s some smut. The first chapter could be considered mildly dubious since one of them’s drunk, but I don’t remember anything else needing warning.

While the summary does kinda make it seem stalkery, no worries, it’s not. (from ch 1) Iriya and Hasebe met before in college and (confirmed later) Hasebe did not track him down or anything, just passed by his shop by chance that day and saw him in there and decided to go in since he hadn’t been able to completely forget him.

Reason for nominating:
This is the first BL novel I read, drawn in by Takarai Rihito’s art on the cover, and I quite liked it. It’s also the better of Chishima’s two novels, in my opinion. There’s some repetition to establish atmosphere, but I didn’t find it to be overdone, and in fact, the book was quite comfortable; it made me want to drink tea on a rainy day lol. And the sexytimes-use euphemisms, while probably not anything I’d use in English, didn’t make me want to drop my head in my hands, either, which is definitely a plus.

6 Likes

I don’t see why not; that kind of info could be included in the content warnings.

3 Likes

Okay, cool. I’ve updated it :+1:

2 Likes

flesh&blood

Title: FLESH & BLOOD 1 | L33
Book type: Light novel
Ebook available?: Yes
Audiobook available?: No (There is a 21 CD, fantastically-produced drama CD series for those interested)
Full-furigana version available?: No

Summary - Japanese

2007年バースデーフェア・店頭配布用小冊子「予感」収録。●イギリス海賊の英雄キャプテン・ドレイク――彼に憧れる高校生の海斗(かいと)は、夏休みを利用して、海賊巡りの旅を計画。ところがドレイクゆかりの地プリマスで、海斗はなんと、次元の壁に飲み込まれ、大航海時代へタイムスリップ!! ドレイクの信頼も厚い、海賊船の船長ジェフリーに助けられ…!? エリザベス女王率いる海賊達と、スペイン無敵艦隊がくり広げる海洋ラブ・ロマン!! ※電子版には、紙版に収録されている挿絵は収録されていません。

Summary - English

(deepL, w/ minor clean up by me) Short story “Premonition”, distributed for the 2007 Birthday Fair, included. Kaito, a high school student who idolizes the heroic English pirate, Captain Drake, plans to take advantage of his summer vacation to go on a pirate tour. However, in Plymouth, a place associated with Drake, Kaito is swallowed by a dimensional rift and is transported back in time to the Age of Discovery! He is rescued by Geoffrey, the captain of a pirate ship, who works for Captain Drake. The pirates led by Queen Elizabeth and the invincible Spanish fleet unfold in this maritime love romance! The digital version does not include the illustrations in the paper version.

Content warnings

Minor forced kiss, but nothing other than that.

Reason(s) for nominating: Flesh&Blood is one of my all-time favorite series; I’ve been reading through it slowly with a book group on Wanikani (I’m about halfway through right now), and I want to spread the love to everyone. :heavy_heart_exclamation: This is a fairly long series (24 volumes), so there’ll be absolutely no plot resolution, just setup, in this volume. On the other hand, you’ve got a fantastic series to keep you company if you do enjoy it! (Plus there’s an excellent 21 CD drama CD adaption for those interested in the audio side of things.)

Just ask my homies @nikoru and @pyororon if you need a second/third opinion.

7 Likes

With all the extras… 34 CDs! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Indeed! Guess who owns every single one of those I’m told that the seiyuus in the CDs are really well-known, though I’m no expert on the industry.

Partial list here

2 Likes

Ooo, having scripts is handy. It’s a definite plus having so much info on the series already available on WK. Tempting, very tempting… :eyes:

2 Likes

Lol, you should see our F&B home post there. We’ve put a ton of work into cataloging all the historical stuff, nautical terms, bonus stories (all like 100 of them…) etc.

All that’s to say, though, that there’s plenty of prior material to lean on if need be for a book club in this forum.

2 Likes

do you know, does the drama cd series follow the books or is it like extra stories? :thinking:

2 Likes

Follows the books. Pretty closely, too from what I’ve listened to (up to partially through CD 4). I haven’t listened to any of the bonus CDs, so I presume but can’t confirm that those are totally new stories not featured in the books. Also there’s a set of original extra stories written by the author for purchasing sets of the CDs, but that’s neither here nor there.

4 Likes

Can confirm, it’s such a fun series!

4 Likes

Not to forget the Royal Wallpaper™ where I tried to keep track of the connections between the real historical people that get mentioned in the series (starting from Vol. 4, I think) :blush:

4 Likes

僕らの食卓
Book type: manga
eBook available? yes

Summary - Japanese

会社員の豊は、誰かと食事をするのが苦手。
しかし、昼食をとろうとしていた公園で出会った兄弟・穣と種になぜか「おにぎりの作り方」を教えることに。
以来、彼らと一緒に食事をすることが増えた豊。
いつしか、みんなでご飯を食べるのが楽しみに思えてーー。

Summary - English (own translation)

Office worker Yutaka isn’t good at eating with other people, but when he meets brothers Minoru and Tane as he’s about to take his lunch at a park, he somehow ends up teaching them how to make onigiri. After that day, he finds himself eating meals with them more and more, and before he realizes it, he begins to look forward to eating together with everyone.

Reason for nominating:
Autumn is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere (or, well, I guess technically it’s already here, though it sure as hey don’t feel like it here in Texas lol), and this manga feels like autumn, which made me think of it. It’s soft and warm and cozy. (It does also take place in autumn and winter.) I remember likening it to a warm bowl of freshly cooked white rice the first time I read it. It’s really lovely and it’s one of my faves. It’s in the same vein as those child-raising BLs, except instead of a single father with his young child, it’s an older brother with his much-younger little brother; Yutaka and Minoru are both 23.

11 Likes

My favourite type of BL! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Oh, it’s nice that’s a single volume; makes it easy to decide how much of the manga to read.

2 Likes

Title: 心を半分残したままでいる (amazon link, natively request sent)
Book type: Light novel
Ebook available?: yes
Audiobook available?: no
Full-furigana version available?: no

Summary - Japanese

静良井真文(しずらい・まさふみ)には一年半以上前の記憶がない。記憶障害を起こしやすい彼は日々を日記に綴っており、それをもとに恋人だった『M』という男を探していた。ある日ふとしたきっかけで行きつけの喫茶店のマスター・中上と親しくなる。彼の申し出で一緒に『M』を探すうち、静良井は中上に惹かれていくと同時に、彼――中上衛こそが『M』ではないかという考えを抱き始め……?

Summary - English (DeepL)

Masafumi Shizurai has no memory of more than a year and a half ago. Prone to memory lapses, he keeps a diary of his daily life, which he uses to search for his former lover, a man named “M.” One day, he suddenly becomes friendly with Nakagami, the master of a coffee shop he frequents. As they search for “M” together at his suggestion, Shizurai becomes attracted to Nakagami and at the same time begins to think that he - Mamoru Nakagami - might be “M.” …?

Content warnings

Nothing I know of at this point

Reason(s) for nominating: I thought the cover looked nice when I saw it on amazon and the memory loss trope is kiiind of a weakness of mine, because I always want to find out the backstory :laughing:

4 Likes

Some of these nominations look really sweet so I might be tempted to join this book club :face_holding_back_tears:

6 Likes

I’m really really sorry, one last entry since I didnt know Mangas were a viable option until I saw a Manga entry, feel free to remove any of my other entries if you feel like I clogged things
there’s a manga I’ve been wanting to read and would love to nominate (it also has a drama btw!)

きのう何食べた?

Summary - Japanese

(yes this is the summary, I am not making this up :joy:)
鮭とごぼうの炊き込みごはん、いわしの梅煮、たけのことがんもとこんにゃくの煮物、栗ごはん、トマトとツナのぶっかけそうめん、鶏肉のオーブン焼き、ナスとトマトと豚肉のピリ辛中華風煮込み、いちごジャムetc.……

Summary - English

(an actual summary compared to the Japanese :rofl: )
A hard-working middle-aged gay couple in Tokyo come to enjoy the finer moments of life through food. After long days at work, either in the law firm or the hair salon, Shiro and Kenji will always have down time together by the dinner table, where they can discuss their troubles, hash out their feelings and enjoy delicately prepared home cooked meals!

Ebook available? yes

Reason(s) for nominating: has a drama and I think I heard something about a movie coming out? and hence I wanted to try it out for some time now (+ I like this mangaka ever since “Antique Bakery”)

7 Likes