Book Providers Megathread (Official Management)

One is DLSite

The other one is DMM

I haven’t used them personally for Books though, so I can’t say much about.

And another one I used way in the past but no longer use:

https://www.hmv.co.jp/books/

4 Likes

Sorry, are these affiliate programs? Or just book providers that you like?

If you can set up their affiliate program by the 27th of this month (not sure how long it takes to do something like that), tag me; I just found out I’ve got points I need to use anyway, so I can try to make sure some of that book money goes to you.

5 Likes

Those are just book providers.

Sadly, most of the providers in Japan their affiliate is for your own point usage.

Having said that, another one I haven’t used in ages, and they have an associate program too:

https://www.yesasia.com/global/en/associate.html

4 Likes

Since no one has done Kindle yet, I might as well.

Amazon Kindle JP is the Japanese branch of the Amazon ebook shop with a very large - and constantly growing - catalog of books. Aside from buying individual books, there is also Kindle Unlimited (an all-you-can-read flat fee) available. Included books change regularly.

• Address: Local address required. No verification process.
  • Payment: in Yen; some non-Japanese credit cards work, but not all; gift cards avaible
  • international IP address: often causes issues
  • Access: Physical Amazon Kindle e-reader or app for mobile devices and PC or read in browser (proprietary e-book file format)
  • Notes: Regular sales and a point system are offered. The physical Kindle e-reader includes dictionary look-up functionality.
  • Recommendation: Bookwalker usually has the better deals and doesn’t have any issues with international IP addresses.

I purposefully do not mention de-drm possibilities, because - while it’s not illegal - it’s probably not something you want on your page. :slight_smile: Basically, if you include de-drm amazon wins the ebook game. But just looking at prices and ease-of-use (i.e. no VPN required) bookwalker is the way to go, imo.

5 Likes

Excellent, thank you!! Added :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shouldn’t this also include Kindle, audible JP and bookwalker? because of their 聞き放題/読み放題 offerings?

And since you have aozora on there, you could also include their 朗読 branch: https://aozoraroudoku.jp
Free audiobooks. :slight_smile:

Last but not least, the aozora link seems broken:
(it’s missing the www https://www.aozora.gr.jp)

4 Likes

I have to add to the Kindle thing, DO NOT add an international phone number to your billing address, or they will use it to lock you out.

Gotta love Japanese and their www mania.

While cdjapan.co.jp works without www, neowing.co.jp (The JP Version) doesn’t :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

So, i think this gets a bit complicated. Is there any content that is subscription only? I think as long as you’re able to purchase stand-alone, then it should be listed as purchase. The main issue I was concerned about was subscription-only services as some people might not like that.

Does that make sense? We could always say in the description that there’s a subscription offering & what the pros are for that.

Oh really?? Will add… although it won’t appear until someone adds a link on a particular book.

Oh no, I never realized :sweat_smile:

Ah, duly noted! Updated.

4 Likes

ah, I see. I misunderstood the filter. maybe you could call it “subscription-only” or something? But maybe I am the only one who thought it meant “service that offers a subscription” :thinking:

I added a link to 一人の芭蕉の問題 | L35?? :smiley:
I wish I had better IT knowledge and could write a script that checks all aozora books on natively against the roudoku database. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

This should really be me… I have a whole automated system now which is constantly checking new books against certain providers which I’ve written a function for.

Eventually I’ll get around to aozora. Although it is a little tricky because I can’t just use a simple ISBN check :thinking:

2 Likes

Wow Sticker - Wow Stickers

2 Likes

I think this is overstating the problem quite a bit. I’d say rarely causes issues.

I think it depends on how important an ereader is to the individual. I think it’s possible to get a general purpose Android-based ereader that can render books from the Bookwalker app, but that’s probably significantly more complicated technically than using a Kindle and dealing with a VPN once a year. For people happy to read on their phone or normal Android tablet or iPad, I agree that Bookwalker is likely much easier.

3 Likes

I split the difference and said ‘sometimes’ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I remembered another book provider but except for the free content I never bought from it so I don’t know details like I did with CMOA

IMPORTANT EDIT: THERE WAS AN OFFLINE READING BUTTON, it downloads whatever chapter you’re reading to the browser cache

edit 2: found the app for this on the androind
when I entered the Japanese store with a Japan account I found an app called ヤンジャン

There is also technically free webtoons to read in different languages through

2 Likes

@brandon There’s a typo in the entry for Aozora Roudoku – in the body text for it it has Aozora Roudouku with a stray extra ‘u’.

2 Likes

Does anybody have experience with honto.jp for ebooks and want to write up the entry? My experience is only with buying print books, for which the answer is “don’t use them unless you’re in Japan, because they only do international shipping via buyee now, and you’ll end up paying both Japanese and your local sales tax”. Which is worth noting but probably works better as an addendum to a summary of what you can use them for.

I could write up an entry for kinokuniya.co.jp, but given that their web UI is strictly Japanese only and there’s enough oddities to their setup to make it a bit hard to recommend, I’m not sure it’s worthwhile?

2 Likes

frankly I think any site is good for recommendation
bookwalker (the Japanese site since the global site only sells merchandise in English), aozora, cmoa and more are also only in Japanese, they’re not built for “learners”, they’re targeted towards Japanese audience only

3 Likes

In the Book Providers, for the digital platforms I’d love to have incorporated what kind of DRM they use.

E.G. Adobe Digital Editions, Kindle, MobiPocket, etc…

2 Likes

Ah, right. That suggests that it would probably be helpful for each entry to record whether the site has an English UI (maybe distinguish “English by default” and “can select English somewhere in a menu”?) and have that as a search filter criterion – I can imagine that many Natively users won’t yet be at a level with the language to be comfortable ordering from a purely-Japanese-language website.

4 Likes