Bug report - Incorrect pages read

I had a browse of a previous thread and it looks like bug reports go here? ~ Bug reports ~ - #8 by brandon

Looks like nothing is setup for bug reports here though….

Bug:

Saw this come up on my activity feed. Looks like there is a bug with reporting how many pages where read, the numbers are too high.

Link to user: Miffy's activity | Natively

[From Brandon]

Action Items:

• Reach out to Miffy, see if it was indeed a kindle edition with percentage issue
  • Make a dev alert around ridiculous looking page numbers. Analyze how many times it happened in the past. Is it an issue?
  • Potentially address with more prominent toggle to percentage

I think I actually saw that pop up in my own feed at some point as well; I had assumed they were reporting their Kindle location in the book instead of actual page counts. You can alter the number of pages in a book, right?

3 Likes

Ahh, that would make sense!

Their stats are gonna be off the charts

2 Likes

I think the system should check for this, and tell you that the page read can not be higher than the total, so I’m raising this to Brandon.

1 Like

That would probably frustrate people with different edititions. Sometimes I adjust it lower, sometimes I adjust it higher. Depends on what my personal copy has.

Perhaps cannot be higher than some % of the default? Although I’m inclined to not care much about how people want to count their own pages.

8 Likes

I see, I haven’t considered different editions.

Perhaps a mix of a warning if you are sure you want to submit that data and a tolerance of a % over the default page amount?

3 Likes

Why though? The only harm done is a slight bit of confusion for others in the activity feed, and that they are ruining their own “pages read” stat. Apart from that, I would assume the person in question knows exactly what they are doing there, i.e.:

In that case they probably also set their page count to the max kindle location that is displayed in each book.

For example, this screenshot from my Kindle app:

Honeyview_2022-07-15 01.42.52.354

If I’d set the page count on that book to 3078 here, and enter that I’m now on “page” 2963, it would properly compute my percentage.

I don’t know why they are not just entering percentages, but if they feel like this is more comfortable, then more power to them.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve noticed this high page count in the activity too. I’m also not terribly concerned about it… ultimately I just want to empower the user to track how they see fit. I agree, it’s probably a kindle edition.

Kindle editions should probably always use percentages and this user very well could just not know that you can input percentages. I do think I could make the toggle between pages & percentages more obvious, which could fix this issue… which is probably the action item I’d take from this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I know I didn’t realize until someone here on the forums pointed it out to me; I think I always assumed that the arrows you’d normally click to swap between pages and percent were arrows to de-/increment the page count.

1 Like

While you’re at it, could you also make it that it remembers that I input percentage last time for that book? Right now it always switches back to “pages”, and when I manually switch back to percentage it keeps the “pages” value (instead of my last percentage), so I can’t e.g. just press the “up” button twice to say that I read another 2 percent.

4 Likes

I guess, as long as the website never does stats comparison, or average read time among users, that’s fine.

Otherwise we will have people that read 3000+ pages per minute, and that’s not ideal.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. I hadn’t really thought of doing that but you’re right it’s a possibility… not really in the plans as of yet. Of course, it’s better if the page counts are reasonable, but I don’t think we should go overboard for this one case - it’s the first one I’ve seen and I do think a UI solution is probably the right play here.

With that in mind, I’m not entirely sure what to do with this request. Is it alright to simply close with the action item ‘make toggle more prominent’? Probably that’s what I prefer to do.

3 Likes

That could be one solution, but I think maybe aside from pages and percentage, another could be added as “other” then you can use whatever unit you want, and it doesn’t count towards statistics.

1 Like

Approved. Will do:

• Reach out to Miffy, see if it was indeed a kindle edition with percentage issue
  • Make a dev alert around ridiculous looking page numbers. Analyze how many times it happened in the past. Is it an issue?
  • Potentially address with more prominent toggle to percentage
5 Likes