🥳 Children's Book Club 📚 Next: 魔女の宅急便 1

The level range is more of a guideline than a rule, since not all books have been graded (enough) to have an accurate Natively level. However the purpose of the club is to read easier material than the kinds of books being read in other book clubs, since quite a few people have mentioned being unable to participate due to the language difficulty being too high.

Ultimately I’m leaving it up to the individual’s discretion - if there’s a book you’re interested in that isn’t on Natively / has a temporary grading / is graded above L26, I’d suggest looking at a preview if there’s one available to gauge the language level. If it’s too difficult, it might be more suited to another book club.

7 Likes

Fair enough. Well then I’ll leave it up to anyone else if wants to nominate 鬼滅の刃.

Looks like there was only one user grading on it after all.

1 Like

I’m not a part of this club, but just wanted to say…

There are a lot of unrestricted level clubs going on right now. This (along with the beginner LN club) are really the only ones that have any sort of guideline around level. I was hoping that there would be some beginner clubs formed on Natively and I was excited this one was forming.

Like you say, I think a lot of people are unable to participate in other clubs, so I think it’d be ok to disallow books outside the level range unless there’s strong reason to think the current level isn’t accurate.

Feel free to ignore all this, but I couldn’t help but comment :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

just noticed this so using it too

1 Like

Taking chance that you are lurking in this thread

@brandon I think Haruhi book got refused back in the day, because there was the normal edition, and the editions handling is not in. Do you think there’s any chance to put that in, since some wording has been changed to lower the level and is not just adding furigana to it?

(I submitted a formal request, but not sure how that’s handled once it got a refusal)

1 Like

Title: 小説 金の国 水の国
Available formats: physical / ebook / full furigana

Summary - Japanese

昔々、隣り合う仲の悪い国がありました。

毎日毎日、つまらないことでいがみ合い、
とうとう犬のうんこの片づけの件で戦争になってしまい
慌てて仲裁に入った神様は2つの国の長に言いました。

A国は国で一番美しい娘をB国に嫁にやり
B国は国で一番賢い若者をA国に婿にやりなさい―――

そんな中、A国の姫・サーラはB国の青年と偶然出会い…。

丁寧に近づいていく二人の心が、
強く動かす未来とは――――!?

Summary - English

Once upon a time, two countries who shared a border wouldn’t stop squabbling over petty issues. Their spats eventually escalated into war… over an incident involving dog poop. Finally, the gods declared that both nations had to call a truce. The most beautiful girl in the Gold Kingdom would marry the smartest man in the Water Kingdom, paving the way to a new era of peace! When Sarah, a princess from the Gold Kingdom, meets a charming man named Naranbayar from the Water Kingdom, they decide to do what it takes to stop more pointless conflict between their countries—by pretending to be in love. Will their plan work? And what if real romantic feelings blossom between them?

Content Warnings

no idea

Reason(s) for nominating: Really want to read this book, like prev nomination it’s also in my TBR lol

6 Likes

@brandon

I requested the Haruhi book, but when it was added, I got added the non-tsubasa version.
And I’m unable to find the rewritten for middle schoolers version on Natively.

Is this a bug or it will remain all in the same link until editions are implemented?

1 Like

Is it rewritten or simply with furigana? Most tsubasa are simply furigana which is why we don’t normally add.

When editions drop, it will certainly clear this up a bit.

1 Like

From wikipedia:

小学生向けに漢字にルビをつけて読みやすくし、一部表現を変えてある。

So some words have been changed, is not a simple just add furigana.

I think I put this on notes when requesting the book, but I also might have forgotten.

1 Like

Ok, well can you send the amazon url as feedback on the current haruhi page?

Then the request will direct to me.

1 Like

Done, sorry for the extra work :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Title: 四つ子ぐらし 1 ひみつの姉妹生活、スタート! | L22
Available formats: physical / ebook / audiobook / full furigana

Summary - Japanese

ひとりぼっちだと思ってた私……、実は四つ子だった!?

私、宮美(みやび)三風(みふ)。
両親も親戚もいなくって、ひとりぼっちの小学校6年生……だと、12年間ずっと思っていたのに!
なんとある日、四つ子だったことがわかったの!!!!
顔も声もまったく同じ女の子、 一花ちゃん、二鳥ちゃん、四月ちゃん。
それぞれ別の場所で孤独に育った私たちは、これから四人、一つ屋根の下で暮らすことになった。だけど、四つ子だけの生活は、大混乱!
その上、育ってきた環境の違いが思わぬすれ違いを生んで…?
みんな同じで、みんな違う! キュートな姉妹生活、始まります!

Summary - English

I thought I was all alone… I was actually a quadruplet!

I’m Miyabi Mifu.
I’m a sixth grader and for 12 years… I thought I was all alone, with no parents or relatives!
One day, I found out that I was a quadruplet !!!!
Girls with exactly the same face and voice, Ichika, Nitori and April.
Each of us grew up alone in a different place, but now the four of us are going to live under one roof. However, life with only the four of us is very confusing!
And the differences in our upbringing have led to unexpected differences…?
They are all the same, but they are all different! The cute life of sisters is about to begin!
(DeepL)

Reason(s) for nominating: First of all, the story sounds really cute! :heart_eyes: There’s also a lot that makes this a good choice for learners: it has full furigana (yay!); it’s the first of a 15-volume series (lots of material if you enjoy the first book); and audiobooks are available for the whole series!

8 Likes

I have been listening to those as they come out. The books are surprisingly not childish. They deal with some sad realities. It’s still for kids, don’t get me wrong, but some stuff really hit me in the feels.

7 Likes

I’ve read the first 15 volumes, and I very much enjoyed it. Lots of life lessons in this series. Highly recommended!

3 Likes

By the way, even short texts like that would be great as a review so that it’ll reach people who are looking at the book :slight_smile:

@bibliothecary, do you have any plans on how we’ll continue with the club? E.g. when would the club start, when will we vote etc.

3 Likes

ngl, I thought I had written a review. My brain remembers writing a review. I have the strong suspicion that I was thinking about writing one in my head and then never actually did. I have now rectified this. :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

Nice!

I kinda would’ve expected at least a 4/5 for entertainment after reading your review and what you said here. What does 3/5 mean to you?

1 Like

It’s still a children’s book and if I remember correctly, book 1 is mainly set up of the overall storyline, which is pleasant enough but not really high entertainment. :slight_smile:

My review is for the series as a whole. Some books were more interesting then others. :melting_face: But 3 is “I had a good time, but it’s nothing to write home about” kinda thing.

5 Likes

Since it’s been almost a week since the last nomination, I’ll set up the poll on Friday - so if anyone has any last-minute nominations, get them in quick! :slightly_smiling_face:

The poll will close December 3rd, and the home thread for the winner will open and include a vote for when to start. It might take longer than usual for physical copies to be delivered over the holidays, so I’d guess we might start mid-January. :thinking:

9 Likes

It’s time to vote!

For more information on each book, refer to the Nominations List or click on the book title, which will take you to the Natively page.

* The tsubasa edition hasn’t been added to Natively yet, but you can see the original version here: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 | L36.

2 Likes