Do you (and how do you) study book vocab?

Ah cool, now i know :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve tried this before, but it always errors out for me. :frowning: Anyone know if there’s a trick to importing csv data into koohi? I always get “No valid data to import to server” whenever I try.

Edit: Figured it out; I wasn’t setting the Word Field # input correctly in the Field Settings box. Time to import!

1 Like

I look up words on Takoboto (a dictionary app) and I use the list function to create a list of words for each book I read. I only enter words or kanji into anki which are at the level I’m targeting (n2) or below. I make the occasional exception for n1 words that seem to crop up a lot in what I’m reading! I’m not so fast at getting round to entering words into anki, but as I save the words I’ve checked into a master list of ‘checked vocab’ it stops me repeatedly looking up the same words.

2 Likes

I’m probably in the minority here but I actually don’t study vocabulary from any books. Not even textbooks :sweat_smile:

So far, I’ve found that the best way for me to remember vocabulary is to come across it several times either in the same story/ text book or used within writing answers to things. It’s how I learned most of the vocabulary from Minna no Nihongo, by coming across it in context. I have tried using things like anki and even physical flashcards previously but it doesn’t work for me no matter how much I try those methods for vocab or conjugations.

I use the same method for learning kanji recognition - by coming across it in context. With MNN it’s obviously easier to check the vocabulary meaning by finding it in the lesson or the conjugation tables if it’s a verb but that does make it mire difficult to learn it when reading a book without a vocabulary list.

That’s not to say I won’t look things up, just if it doesn’t come up several times either in what I’m reading or across several texts, then at my stage it’s probably not as important for me to remember it so I’ll just look it up as I need to and eventually I’ll remember it without having to spend hours doing rote memorization when I could be spending that time on other things in Japanese that I enjoy more.

9 Likes

I set this up on my used Android e-reader (Boox Nova Pro) today, and it was not for the faint of heart.

1. Allow third party apps and disable Google play protect on play store.
  2. Install Kiwi Browser and AnkiDroid from the play store.
  3. Install Yomichan on Kiwi Browser.
  4. Download JMDict dictionary and import to Yomichan.
  5. Install AnkiConnect Droid.
    Remove their Android 8+ dependencies so it would work with an Android 6.0.1 device. Build a new apkg in Android studio. Transfer the apkg back to the device via USB using Android Transfer. Finally uninstall the incompatible version and install the packaged one. Launch the app and “start service”.
  6. Set up Yomichan: set scan to “no key”, delay to 0, and enable Anki.
  7. Get an ebook file on Amazon by choosing “Download and transfer via USB” in “Content & devices”. De-DRM with Calibre to convert the ebook file to EPUB format.
  8. Transfer the EPUB book to the e-reader via USB. In the Kiwi browser visit ttu reader and select the EPUB file.

If nothing goes wrong it should work! :innocent:

Definitely worth it if you’re mining, but the reading experience such as turning pages and bookmarking is not as great as the preinstalled reader or koreader.

8 Likes

Yeah I get that.

I prefer Apple Books as a reader, but lookups pale in comparison to Yomichan. Btw, a trick for anyone using Apple Books: enable the Chinese & Korean dictionaries, you’ll notice why soon enough!

Once we’re じょうず we can use our preferred reader… or even physical books :scream_cat:

Same, no study crew :smile_cat:

I’ll let you know how effective it was for me once get my N2 result.

8 Likes

I used to use jpdb.io, but the workload gets heavy quickly, and original sentence context is not available. Many words and expressions do not lend themselves to isolated srs.

I switched to just reading the paperbook and photographing each page into the incomparable Nihongo iOS dictionary app on the fly. The OCR is scary accurate (it often works on handwritten restaurant menus) and lets you save the vocab to decks with the photo attached. I never actually go back and study them, but it lets me move through the book quickly with a clickable copy of each page on my phone. It’s actually faster and smoother than using a Kindle.

I use Takoboto (android jisho app) and add all my new words to a list for that specific book, and then I send all of those to Anki, and after a while they will show up for my morning anki sessions :slight_smile:
I settled for this method after trying a lot of different workflows because it’s the fastest and I can do it wherever I am.
I find a new word, I look it up and it’s in my anki deck. I can format the takoboto cards however I wish and if I want to embelish them later on with a context sentence and audio/image I use https://www.immersionkit.com/dictionary once those cards pop up.

3 Likes

I usually put my vocab together with other vocab in an Anki deck, but since I’ve already accumulated over 10k words, I’m a little more picky and only do it if I see the word appear in the current or other works 2-3 times.

1 Like

If I’m studying for a particular book, I’d find a premade deck on jpdb.io, and study it before reading (and keep at it once I start reading). The other approach I think is beneficial is Satori Reader, bc of how integrated everything is there. You just add words as you’re going, and the SRS automatically has them with all the context, audio, link to actual story section, etc.

Not directly for books: I’ve gotten most of my vocab through music, WaniKani, and Satori Reader. I do WK every day (lvl 28), and otherwise try to minimize active study of vocab b/c it’s boring, static, and less efficient (for where I’m at).

My general mentality: If I see a word repeatedly, I’ll eventually remember it. If I’m not seeing it repeatedly enough, then it doesn’t really matter (for now) if I remember it. Reading within a series is helpful bc you get repeat vocab, and consistent writing style (so less info to process).

3 Likes