Earwen's Japanese study log (with a side of German)

What do you think of ラブコン as a show so far? I was thinking of watching it at one point

1 Like

to be honest it’s not my kind of show so I’m not really sure I can judge it well? I wouldn’t really pick it up if it weren’t for the kansai ben aspect. I don’t really enjoy straight romances. However I like the lead character and I feel like it’s a pretty realistic depiction of highschool kids so far. It’s also funny, like it doesn’t make me laugh out loud or anything but it’s pretty constantly amusing.

3 Likes

Having watched about 2/3 of it, I’d chime in that it’s a well done romance for the genre. But you have to be willing to deal with the “tall girls can’t date shorter boys” drama because that is at the heart of the entire series.

3 Likes

Yeah I can see the insecurity stuff getting old, but I think it’s not unrealistic for that age to have such hangups, so so far it isn’t bothering me. I enjoy how natural the interactions between characters feel. The banter between the two leads feels really true to life.

All that said I only watched 2.5 episodes so my thoughts my change.

3 Likes

You can add ジョゼと虎と魚たち | L26 to the list of Kansai-ben content. Among everything I’ve watched/read until now, this is the story with the highest concentration of Kansai-ben (and more specifically Ōsaka-ben) that I know. All characters speak in the dialect.

3 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation!

For this weekly update, I have to admit I’ve not been doing great, for no real reason beyond that I was too preoccupied with other things.

jp

Wanikani reviews as usual, still on level 24, which is the longest any level has taken me by now. However my accuracy is down so I don’t want to add too many new cards.

I did some satori reader chapters but not too much, honestly not sure why I’ve been feeling so low on motivation lately. Well, I do sort of know. I’ve not been enjoying my wanikani lessons, because I do not do consistent reading to see what I learn in action. I will just have to set time aside everyday to read consistently without waiting for some vague inspiration to pick up japanese.

de

I fell behind on my reviews here a few times this week, which overall isn’t a big deal. But kind of more of a sign of how demotivated I’ve been.
I’ve read around 80% of the third earthsea book. I meant to finish it before today so I can start the krimi book club pick. Issue is, I don’t like this book very much. It’s the sort of writing I don’t enjoy in any language, and the plot didn’t grab me either. I will finish it, but added to the general sluggishness this week, it’s a bit demotivating once again lol

on the bright side, things can only go up from here.

4 Likes

1000% this. I’ve tried relying on motivation many times in the past and it always fails eventually. You have to build a habit. Read every day, even if it’s just a single page of manga, or a single paragraph of text. After a couple of months the habit will be pretty well formed and it will be a lot easier to start/continue reading when you don’t have the motivation. It will be like brushing your teeth or getting up for work; it’s just something that you do without needing motivation.

4 Likes

If you’re still looking for Kansai-ben content, the current Light Novel Book Club pick 京都寺町三条のホームズ | L29 might be a candidate? Some of the customers speak the dialect. Though I should mention that I’ve only read the prologue so far, so I have no idea if the rest of the book is the same. Just thought I’d mention it before I forget/in case you want to join us.

2 Likes

And also sadly it’s the risk with this author, it seems… In the context of Die kleine Hexe I stumbled upon some news reports about him having written a book in his young age that glorified the Nazi regime, which he never clarified or even dissociated himself from:

OTOH there is Krabat which clearly shows he changed his mind over time. So maybe one shouldn’t overestimate the other book. But still sad that he never opened up about it.

3 Likes

Dr Seuss wrote anti-Japanese propaganda cartoons, but also the Sneetches. People are multifaceted and have the ability to change. But also their uncomfortable works should be challenged (and not like, 50 years after writing them…).

2 Likes

pretty alright week!

jp

Started level 25 of wanikani
Satori Reader: read at least a chapter a day, still not as much as I’d like, but realistically I was simply busy with other stuff.
Manga: Keeping up with the yuri club pick, but not feeling much like reading manga lately
Watching: watched a few eps of lovely complex. Not much but that’s mostly because I’m not a big anime watcher in general, I watch little even with english subs unless I’m obsessed with a series.
Kansai-ben: lovely complex and the yuri club pick both have kansai-ben. I think I’m getting relaively comfortable with it.

de

Finished the third earthsea book, keeping up with the krimi club pick.
I skipped reviews a few times this week which I’m ok with as I did them on the weekend.

Overall: I think I can still make a bit more time to study over other things but definitely better than the past few weeks so I’m content.

7 Likes