Home thread for 十角館の殺人! 🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 | Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️

I started reading ‘And then there were none’ today, since that seems to be all the rage nowadays (and also because, for all that I read a lot of mystery/crime/detective stories in Japanese, I haven’t read a lot of the western classics aside from Sherlock Holmes).

I don’t think it’ll take me longer than a week or two at the most but I realized that I don’t actually know how much time is left before the official start of 十角館の殺人.

Has that been mentioned somewhere or has it yet to be decided?

3 Likes

According to the OP of the Mystery Book Club, starting date is August 8. As far as I can see it’s not mentioned in this thread at all. We should probably add it.

4 Likes

Thanks! I actually checked that thread too but I must have skimmed too much. :see_no_evil:

That’s perfect. I’ll be traveling for work next week and may have to start slightly late anyway, but that should give me plenty of time to finish ‘And then there were none’.

2 Likes

Post has been updated to show the start date :white_check_mark:

I’m down for this, especially as the split is leaning towards a two week first thread. I will not make a ‘final call’ until polling closes, but the two options are quite similar to each other so I think overall it’s just a matter of preference as to how VROOM you wanna be towards the end of the book :joy:

7 Likes

So how are we dealing with the prologue + first chapter? Do we decide a cut-off point for the first week, or do we just make a two-week thread and everyone reads as far as they like? I tend to favour the latter. Accidental spoilers so early on shouldn’t be a big problem, and not splitting a chapter into two threads is just neater. What do you think?

6 Likes

I was planning on one thread, yep. I think it’d be confusing if I cut a two week reading assignment into two threads as it’d be unclear what to discuss where.

5 Likes

pikachudetective

Week 1 + 2 thread is now open

And I need to get the reading done :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Should we keep a prominent schedule with links to the discussion thread on the top post? I’m asking as I now have a link to this thread on the main book page :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Minor bug report for the new Natively book club tag on the main site:

Summary

The tag in the top left of the picture doesn’t show any text.

2 Likes

Home thread top post has been updated to now list the weekly threads as they open :pencil2:

Edit: Also thanks for doing this! How exciting to be the first tagged book club :sparkles:

6 Likes

Ooh, nice! Just thought I’d mention it actually links to post number 27, if you meant to link to the op.

2 Likes

Oh thank you! Fixed :slight_smile:

Oh good catch, fixed.

Oh great, much better! If you wanted to go a step further, you could get a little fancy like they do in the WK book club and make a table, like so (copied from シャドーハウス (Beginner Book Club) - Book Clubs - WaniKani Community):

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Wk 1 Jul 16th Ch 1 ケイトとエミリコ 12
Wk 2 Jul 23th Ch 2 壊れた人形は 13
Wk 3 Jul 30th Ch 3 説明書

Also, I think we could hide a lot of the past information (polls, chapter information) in a ‘details’ dropdown and make the top post more relevant to potential newcomers in the future.

I guess I keep adding on suggestions :joy::joy: if you prefer I can try take a crack at updating the top post… I’m mostly just inspired from that beginner book club thread, it presents the relevant information well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I made the table but oh how I despise discourse tables. They’re such a pain. It feels like more formatting than is necessary.
I also put the majority of the content behind a detail drop down, but that did destroy the poll.

Feel free to edit the main post, formatting and visuals have never been my forte.

5 Likes

Looks good to me!! :grin:

2 Likes

I added a chart with character names and readings as well as some basic notes to remember who is who to the top post of this thread. It is a wiki so anyone can edit it. Please take care to hide any spoiler notes behind spoiler tags. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just 24 pages this week! Week 4 thread has opened :female_detective:

9 Likes

The list with the readings for each name is so helpful!

6 Likes

Another short week at 22 pages! Week 5 is open! :female_detective:

2 Likes

Week 6 thread is open! 39 pages this week and an extra poll to vote on what cadence we want to finish out the book on. :calendar:

2 Likes

Week 7 thread is open! The results of the poll showed a win for a swifter read towards everyone’s demise the ending so we’ll be reading three chapters this week (6, 7, and 8) totaling 43 pages.

6 Likes