🇰🇷 🇯🇵 Home Thread for 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 📚 🪱

Week 9 has been posted! I’ve noted it there, but this is the last week I have page numbers for for the Junior version. If anyone’s reading along with the JP Junior/has access to it, I’d appreciate you tossing page numbers for part 2 my way!

5 Likes

Posting next week’s chapters a few days early since I’ll be traveling:

3 Likes

Week 11’s thread here!

1 Like

Week 12 has been posted!

1 Like

Week 13 is up! This is the end of the main narrative of book 1; next week is only side stories.

Since this week is the end of the main book, I wanted to put up some polls to get some feedback on the book, as well as our first multilanguage attempt. First off:

Did you enjoy reading 本好き?
  • Yes
  • It was so-so
  • No
0 voters
Do you think you’ll continue reading further LN volumes of 本好き?
  • Yes, and I would participate in a spin-off book club continuing the series
  • Yes, but I’ll be doing it solo on my own time
  • Yes, but by reading the manga/watching the anime
  • No
0 voters
How did you feel about the reading pace set?
  • It was too slow
  • It was too fast
  • It was just right
0 voters
How did you feel about our first multilingual book club?
  • I had issues with the setup/support for either or both languages
  • I thought the two languages were handled well
0 voters
Would you be interested in participating in another multilingual book club?
  • Yes, but only if certain changes are made
  • Yes, this setup was fine
  • No
0 voters

More detailed thoughts are always welcome!

1 Like

There’s no “yes and I read them already; only two weeks until the last volume comes out!” option :disappointed:

6 Likes

For anyone interested in the audiobooks, just FYI Audible US is having their cyber Monday sale (not sure if you have to be an active subscriber). Most of the audiobooks are about 5 USD right now. The drama CDs are like 1.5 - 4 USD.

I…may have picked up almost the whole series.

7 Likes

Dang, I only see full price audiobooks. :frowning:

Edit: Ah-hah, you have to actually be subscribed to see the sale price. Free trial for the win~

4 Likes

Is premium plus the equivalent of 聴き放題? (i.e. can just just listen to almost whatever then?)
It sounds silly that it’s cheaper than just buying the audio file…
I mean, maybe you’ll want to listen to it 5 times over the course of multiple months (and absolutely nothing else), but, as much as I love that series, even I wouldn’t do that :stuck_out_tongue:

Also discourse is telling me:

You’ve replied to @eefara 3 times, did you know you could send them a personal message instead?

Oh no, a whole 3 times? Incredible.

4 Likes

I’m not the right person to ask, unfortunately; I’ve only got a very passing relationship with audiobook services in general and Audible in particular. They’ve got several tiers iirc and it’s all very confusing. @.@

Nanny Discourse. :face_exhaling:

In other news, I’m now the proud owner of 11 more 本好き audiobooks (says the person who isn’t sure if they like the series or not). Anyone know if the drama CDs are any good?

4 Likes

I guess I should try them… they are on audible 聴き放題 (we only have a single tier in Japan).
I’m probably not the most impartial person to judge their quality, though :joy:

1 Like

Not for the American version, no. It’s just 1 book from an ‘extended catalogue’ for free each month - most of which isn’t Japanese. I believe Japanese Audible is different. @Biblio would know more there.

Edit: I realized I explained this badly. I have premium plus which means I pay $15/month for a ‘credit’ which I can use to purchase anything in their catalogue, regardless of price. Audible Plus (which is a terrible name for the basic tier) is like 訊き放題 if you had a really terrible definition of 放題. I technically have their 訊き放題 built into my plan but I don’t think I’ve used it for anything except podcasts

1 Like

That’s different indeed. Japanese 聴き放題 (that’s the one I have but, again, it’s also the only option) is 1500 jpy per month and it’s almost everything in the catalog (but you can’t keep anything if you stop).

4 Likes

Aaah good to know. Be careful! that’s how I got suckered in (tho I’ma need to pause mine, just about bought my entire wish list)

Not quite. It gets you a credit to spend to buy one audiobook a month to keep, discounts on some books (including this sale), and a VERY limited selection of free to listen books (本好き not included). You can pause it anytime though, so I’ll probably pause mine until more of my now gutted wishlist builds up and we get another big sale.

Oddly enough some of the 本好き pre-orders I was able to buy for ~4 USD. It’s stupid cheap as far as audiobooks go.

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s the same across all countries but for UK audible, you get a number of credits each month to buy books (credit number depends on the subscription you have) and you also get access to the subscriber catalog (free books subscribers can access) as well as podcasts and also get access to buy more credits at a lower cost as well as access to sales. I think you can listen to the podcasts even if you don’t subscribe and there are some free books for everyone to read. Most of the free language learning ones are first parts of a series for how to learn that language or are language learning vocabulary books though from what I’ve seen.

2 Likes

I paused all book clubs while in Japan (!!) for the last two weeks, and I think I was already behind before pausing cause I don’t think I’m more than halfway through book 1, but you all have convinced me to buy audiobooks 2 and 3 anyway. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I listened to the first half of CD1 on my morning commute. So far, they are replaying the best moments from arc 2 and arc 3. The dialogues are a bit simplified to be as understandable as possible without extra context, but it’s nice. I wonder if they are using the voice actors from the anime? (I could easily check, but I’m not curious enough about it).
The special effects felt a bit too much but otherwise the production quality is nice. I wouldn’t pay for it on its own, but since I can listen to all of it for “free”, I might as well. I have been looking for something to listen to during my daily commute anyway.

Edit: I listened to the second half on the way back. It focuses almost exclusively on the end of the third arc, with even a medley of short scenes (only a few sentences each) from the extra stories in volume 12.
I wonder if all cds are like that…

Edit edit: according to the description, cd2 covers volumes 13-15 plus some focus on other characters (unclear if that’s original for the cd or available in the volumes of short stories) and one extra original story.

Edit3: I guess I’ll just keep posting my impressions. I listened to CD2 today. It was fairly good. I really like Main’s voice actress. The extra story was nothing to write home about, but that’s still fun for the 本好き starved.
Actually they should cover exactly the number of days left until the next volume is released! Perfect!

5 Likes

I’m on the fence for the drama CDs, but I’ll probably go for the ones that are like 1-3USD.

The problem I see is guessing properly when you have to listen to them with respect to the books to not get spoilers.

1 Like

So far, CD1 requires to have finished volume 12. It’s a hard requirement since it includes a big spoiler.
CD2 contains stuff from volumes 13-15.
I’m planning to listen to CD3 today, but the blurb says it covers volume 18.
I’ll check the description of the other ones later.

3 Likes