🇰🇷 🇯🇵 Home Thread for 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 📚 🪱

It’s hard for me to judge because I haven’t participated in a book club before, but @Biblio’s idea seems good. A few people (including me!) have mentioned the book level will be a stretch for them, so it might be better to err on the side of caution and start off with a lower number of pages to read.

5 Likes

Good idea. :+1: This is what that schedule would look like:

Speed-up starts on week 7
Week Start Date Chapter Number Notes # of Pages :jp: # of Pages :kr:
1 Sept 4 1 4 4
2 11 10
2 Sept 11 3 12 12
4 9 8
3 Sept 18 5 10 8
6 9 10
4 Sept 25 7 9 9
8 10 9
5 Oct 2 9 10 9
10 10 8
6 Oct 9 11 14 12
12 12 10
7 Oct 16 13 schedule speed-up to 30 pgs/week 13 13
14 13 10
8 Oct 23 15 13 11
16 16 14
9 Oct 30 17 16 14
18 12 11
10 Nov 6 19 16 15
20 10 9
21 10 9
11 Nov 13 22 17 14
23 11 8
12 Nov 20 24 10 10
25 19 17
13 Nov 27 26 14 14
(14?) Dec 4 SS 1 13 10
SS 2 15 11
Afterword 3 2

We would end on the last week of November (or the first week of Dec if we did the extras.)

@Biblio and @bibliothecary, new poll added!

3 Likes

(For those, like me, calculating in characters rather than chapters: 1 chapter is 5-6000 :jp: characters.)

2 Likes

Throwing in my two cents on pacing: coming from the copcraft book club, I found around 30 pages a week to be manageable even with the difficulty level. Reading along with the audiobook and doing a lot of pausing for lookups (e-book w/yomichan) took around 2 hours per chapter, and the chapters I read without the audiobook was around 2.5h. Having read a bit into the first volume of 本好き, I think it’s a fair bit easier than copcraft in terms of uncommon vocab and would probably take less time to read overall.

That being said, I think an increase in pace at the halfway point could make for a good compromise, though I’m confused as to what the current poll is asking (might be a good idea to make a new poll and put it alongside the other options).

3 Likes

Sorry about that; checking back on those, I should have worded the second one differently. Basically, in addition to the 20pg/week and 30pg/week schedules, how would you feel about a schedule that starts at 20pg/week and increases to 30pg/week partway through?

Looking at it all, I should have just scrapped the first poll instead of trying to force in a second. I’m sorry guys. orz @bibliothecary @Biblio @NihongoLearner19 @Athakaspen @senkuma @bungakushoujo could you guys all vote one more time? I’m really sorry. :pray:

8 Likes

I like the idea of starting with 20 pages a week and ramping up to 30 because the end of the 木洩れ日 book club will overlap with the beginning of this one. It would be nice to start slower and then ramp up after the other club ends!

4 Likes

This will be my first book read alongside a book club where I set out with the intention of finishing it (my previous multilingual book club attempt was over a year ago and only to see how much I could read and understand and I didn’t get very far :joy:).

I’ll try to keep pace but my studying overall has been in fits and starts so I might fall behind, especially since I’m going to need to be reading this at home only so I can do look ups and listen to the audiobook as well.

7 Likes

Have no fear about falling behind! Feel free to ask questions even if you have; folks are always more than happy to answer questions. And you likely won’t be the only person who may or may not fall behind; people read at different paces for all kinds of reasons.

We’re glad to have you, regardless!

8 Likes

Not sure if someone is going to go with the Junior version of 本好きの下剋上 第一部 兵士の娘1 | L28 , but if you do, remember the page counts are totally different.

4 Likes

Aaah, that’s a good point! If we do have Junior bunko readers, please let me know guys, and I can add that to the schedule!

Edit: added a brand-new poll to the home post to gather stats! Man, I’m thinking I need to reserve the second post for polls in future book clubs; the OP’s getting pretty crowded…

3 Likes

I can help with the first half if needed for the page numbers.

2 Likes

As an aside, my answer to this is actually audiobook + physical book + ebook, but there was no option (I’ll do a listen with audio + physical, and then probly switch to ebook for reading, bc easier to pull up vocab)

4 Likes

Ah, thank you for the feedback! I’ll need to see if I can remember to add an Other category in the future or something; I don’t necessarily want to list every possible permutation of options, but I love hearing about all the different study/reading methods.

3 Likes

Aww shucks.

No option for “My cat while read it to me while I take a bath in my jacuzzi” then.

5 Likes

Hey man, if that’s what the masses demand, who am I to argue.

3 Likes

Same! I have the Junior physical book, the regular e-book (thanks again @eefara!), and the audiobook, so I’ll be doing some combination of all three throughout.

5 Likes

I’ll be doing the same for Japanese (only ebook for Korean though). :smiling_face:

@eefara I posted it in the other thread, but here’s the character list - most have the names formatted like so:

Korean (Japanese, English)

2 Likes

Ah, perfect! Thank you! Does anyone know if it would be a spoiler for me to paste the full character table into each week’s thread? (Or at least as far as I can figure who shows up in volume 1.)

1 Like

The characters themselves aren’t spoilers, methinks, but if you give more information on them, that could be. Like who is related to whom, what job they have etc. that part goes into spoilers.

2 Likes

Since we do have at least one person following along with the Junior version, could I get page numbers from either @Mara and/or @Megumin and/or anyone else with access to both books?

I’m going to need to figure out the best way to show page numbers/weekly goals now that we’ll be tracking three different versions: original JP, Junior JP, and KR. :thinking:

Also! If you have not voted on your preferred schedule, please do so!

Edit: Could I have someone who’s familiar with volume 1 check out the character chart in the home post? See if missed anyone from volume 1/have too many people not relevant there. Normally we’d fill this out as we go along, but since we have a handy wiki in a language I can’t read :person_shrugging:

3 Likes