Yuri/GL/wlw book club - Reading: アステリズムに花束を 百合SFアンソロジー

I gotta say, it’s nice that most of the nominations are manga; I like voting on shorter things for once.

4 Likes

I think it’s worth having the weekly threads to avoid spoilers, and so people who join late or read at their own pace have a structure.

I wonder what the pacing will be like with manga… I’ve only tried LN & VN clubs so far

2 Likes

so far the “adjust” is winning (only 3 people though lmao) so I guess we’ll wait and see how it goes either way

I’m guessing depending on how long chapters and the difficulty are it won’t be more then a chapter or 2 a week :thinking:

1 Like

In my experience, it usually works out that if the chapters are shorter, it’s 2/week, but if they’re longer, it’s 1/week, and if the first chapter is particularly long it might get split over 2. It depends on how the participants vote, though.

3 Likes

I thought the style of the cover art on this book looked familiar, and I finally realized today that it reminded me of ともだち同盟 | L30??, a book I heard about from a YouTube clip ages ago and know nothing about. But, I think I was right to associate them, since one of the short stories is by the same author! I know nothing about either book but this one gets my vote by “degrees of separation from my want to read list” :laughing:

4 Likes

Should tied nominations for removal all be removed?

• Yes
  • No, we should vote for what will be removed
  • No, I have another idea (and will reply with it or send you a message about it)
0 voters

Should removed nominations have a cooling period before they can be nominated again?

• Yes, at least 1 cycle
  • Yes, at least 2 cycles
  • No
0 voters

I probably wouldn’t remove anything since there are already 8 slots for new nominations.

3 Likes

I’m honestly half half on the matter
on one hand I get why 8 nominations suddenly disappearing is a lot
on the other hand I honestly feel like we might not get anything new or be able to refresh things properly for anyone joining in the middle if we don’t remove things to some degree

in that sense I personally feel like removing just in case and letting it be renominated next time is a better compromise (hence I changed my vote from “at least 1 cycle” to “no”)

2 Likes

Why 8? Didn’t the previous poll indicate to only remove ones with no votes? Or ones with 3 or fewer votes?

1 Like

I made both the indicator (you can see I put both in the nomination rules), the no votes one was pretty obvious but you can see how majority of the time nominations will probably have at least one vote (from the nominator or etc), and so I honestly believe that rarely will we see no votes at all

hence I added the x=3 one - which will turn into an 8 (as of now) if we do remove tied nominations

So only 4 nominations would survive? Ruthless! :joy:

5 Likes

Also, now I’ve felt forced to vote even though I don’t plan to join in the first round just to keep books I might vote for later in the running.

3 Likes

good :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

edit: I myself am considering playing around with my votes to keep some of my nominations lol especially since there’s a clear winner :joy:

edit2: impossible :smiling_face_with_tear:

I think you might want to ease off on the nomination chopping… folks don’t tend to love playing the voting game, and there’s still plenty of nomination slots open to get new things in the mix. If it becomes a problem in the future, it’s always possible to change the rules to address it then, but it seems like a waste to eliminate nominations after only one round of voting and before the slots are even filled.

2 Likes

I don’t care too much how this club ends up handling chops, but if I’ve seen anything it’s that many people actually love voting and voting strategy :joy:

3 Likes

I second this. Also, this is by far the most complicated book club I’ve ever seen. Feels like overkill to me.

2 Likes

Lol, perhaps I misread the situation. Just thinking basically it creates a lot of complication to keep having to nominate or re-nominate, but perhaps that’s part of the fun, just sharing various books that you’re interested in, with the possibility that one gets chosen for the club …

P.S. for me, depending on the format, nominating a book can sometimes feel like a lot of work, so I might be somewhat discouraged from nominating if it so easy for the nomination to get discarded?

P.P.S. if the nomination format were simplified, like all you have to do is link the book’s Natively page and write a brief note about why you are nominating it, that might change that feeling. For me at least.

3 Likes

regarding polls I would agree with cat, if there’s a pattern I noticed in this forum is that polls tend to be popular :joy:

regarding the nomination template that’s actually a good idea, minimizing things would probably help a lot in terms of making it easier to do
things like the summary in Japanese and available formats are easier to write off, not 100% sure about the English summary and book type though :thinking:

I think what I’ll do is a poll (again :crazy_face:) to see what people feel they’re comfortable with removing (content warning for example is pretty important for me to leave there since the summary doesn’t always address all the things that tend to send people off)
if something gets more then 8 votes we can remove it from the template, does that sound fair? (as in you will be able to vote on a bunch of fields to remove and if a certain field gets 8 votes it’ll be removed, it can be none or all of them etc)

3 Likes

I honestly apologize that you feel that way…

could you pinpoint in what sense does it feel complicated? I’ll try to address everything as much as I can without going against voted results…

Too many polls and rules. I think you’ve added more rules for this new book club than many WaniKani book clubs have added over several years. I think it’s better to start with fewer rules and only make changes as necessary over time.

3 Likes