Korean Beta - Feedback from Korean Users

So, both amazon.co.jp & TMDB have excellent coverage for Japanese it seems. There have been a few very rare cases where something wasn’t on TMDB or Amazon, but I believe the one or two times that’s happened, it’s been understandable… they’ve been quite obscure and it’s not really an issue for users.

I will say though, I’m not sure how many legitimate children’s shows people have added… it’s been mostly animation and live action. I could see children’s shows being a bit less likely to be added as the audience is less likely to track them i’d guess. I’m not sure.

Regardless though, please let me know how much of an issue it ends up being. For TV, most of the things i’ve been interested in have been on Netflix which obviously has great coverage. Have there been many things you couldn’t find on Yes24? From my exploration before launch, Yes24 seemed to have by far the best breadth compared to Amazon, Kyobo, Aladin… et al… but i’m still not sure of the coverage.

Also, I do think adding TMDB isn’t too hard, so that is an option if you’re willing to add things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dang. Now there’s some reading practice for you.

4 Likes

I’ve added dates for 플라워링 하트 and tried syncing, but the problem is still persisting. I also added 생일왕국의 프린세스 프링, but series/episodes haven’t appeared. Not sure if I’ve done something wrong, it needs approval, or just takes a while to update. Haven’t finished adding all the episodes yet, though.

The middle activity seems odd here, too…?

I’ve only had a couple so far, but I’ve just put them aside until I’ve finished adding the other hundreds of books. :grin:

Something else that might be another external site issue: Just Watch doesn’t list Viki for 커피프린스, even though it’s one of their providers and the series is licenced in my region.

On a related note, would it be possible to be able to add links like the ‘where to find’ section for books? Some series (especially children’s ones) are available for free on their official youtube channels.

I’ve also noticed you can’t switch languages if you’re on a series page. The link changes (?_language=jpn/kor), but otherwise the page (and selected language) stays the same. For pages that don’t have a direct equivalent, could toggling the language send you to the dashboard?

Giving you lots of work today! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense, good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing :joy::joy:

Interesting. I haven’t yet heard complaints around that. I’m not sure… perhaps they have a reporting form too?

Potentially. Right now, I can add them in the admin as a ‘more information link’… so if you put them in your book addition notes when you initially add them, I can upload the link.

Or you can submit feedback if they’re already added.

interesting. I’ll try take a look soon…

2 Likes

Just synced both shows mentioned previously and they’ve updated. Unless you made any changes, I guess it just takes a while for edits on TMDB to come through. :slightly_smiling_face:

On a different note, I changed my default + setting a couple of days ago to ‘owned’, but on a different device it’s still showing ‘wish list’.

1 Like

@brandon One problem I’ve been having is that my stats page for Japanese is completely blank when I click on it. I’m not sure why since the Korean one is working, but I’m assuming it has something to do with having both languages enabled in my settings.

screenshot

2 Likes

I did not, good to know!

Hmm. Yeah. It looks like I only save it to your device’s session, not onto the user account. I could change that.

Whoops! Should be fixed now. Nice catch.

In other news, I think we’re really close to formal launch! There are a few more things I want to do tomorrow, but really hopeful that Tuesday is the day. FWIW, all I mean by ‘launch’ is putting a post in /r/Korean on reddit… after the buzz dies down there, I may announce it a few other places too, open to suggestions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I posted in the wrong thread :upside_down_face:

Exciting stuff! :star_struck:

Maybe /r/LanguageLearning, discord servers for Korean / general language learning?

2 Likes

Those are good callouts, we’ll see! TBH, i’m sure just from r/Korean, I’ll be working overtime for a while :laughing:

I’ve noted your issue with the activity, but probably won’t investigate if i’m honest… too much to do…

As for the toggle without changing the language setting, yeah that’d be nice. The only issue is that i’d like to change the profile url with whatever language you’re on (in case you decide to link). The way i’m doing it is very quick and dirty but handles that use case. In the future, it wouldn’t be too hard to update the url without changing the language setting.

Would recommend a product request if you feel strongly about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even though it’s Japanese-focused, you could probably get a few bites advertising on Wanikani due to the sheer size of the community.

2 Likes

@brandon Shouldn’t this thread be locked? :eyes:

I decided to look and there have been threads on learning Koren on WK in the past, but most are now locked due to inactivity for >1 year. But I agree - announcing there might help.

Googling, the Let’s Learn Korean discord has >56k members. There’s also servers that are ‘tagged’ as learn-korean, I guess? https://disboard.org/servers/tag/learn-korean

I’ve been using Discord casually since 2020 but tbh I still don’t get how it all works as it’s my least used social media :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hey all - I’m still not sure if i’ll be able to launch tonight or if i’ll hold off until tomorrow morning.

But it won’t be delayed past tomorrow morning!

In other news, I’ve slightly changed the book submission process. Now, I always ask if the book is part of a series or not, regardless if I discover one on Yes24. Only once you check that box will you see if I did find one automatically… and then I will prompt you to double check it.

Basically, these Yes24 series are too much and often are just massive publisher collections. It may be a continuing problem, but hopefully these changes will help address it.

Edit: Also - I’ve put a lot of work into the book addition process to make it more robust and ready for launch. You shouldn’t be seeing any ‘issues with servers’ errors anymore. If I do encounter an error (less common now), it should prompt you with a better suggestion :slight_smile:

Edit 2: Ok not tonight, but we’re ready to go for tomorrow morning :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Posted on r/Korean! Any new users who pop by, welcome! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, I guess the reddit launch is over… Mods removed the post! :sweat_smile:

Apparently my post didn’t qualify for their ‘one self promotion post a week’ rule, very frustrating.

In any case, I do think Korean will take a bit more work to find readers who are able to grade and are interested. As we’ve discussed, the Korean online community is a bit smaller.
So if you know people interested let them know!

It’ll be a continuing process, but we’ll find the initial user base :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well that’s disappointing. :disappointed:

I guess it might be worth messaging the mods of communities before posting to save that happening again.

In addition to discords and reddits, what about posting in the forums of MangaUpdates, Anilist, MAL, or even Goodreads groups focused on Korean books?

I’m sure there must be bloggers and youtubers that might be interested in trying/reviewing the site. The only Korean learner’s blog I follow is Hangukdrama, who’s been around for 10+ years and does regular reviews for Korean and Japanese learning materials.

Just some ideas. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Their modmail is literally not even working haha. Yeah, I probably should’ve but modmail usually takes forever wrt approval (i think it’s their lowest priority). And it seemed pretty clear in the rules… ugh. But yeah, always best to message first, which you usually have to do.

That’s… actually not a bad idea! I’ve never thought of it. Granted i’m literally poaching users from their website, so might be more controversial. We’ll see :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I’ve hit some people up on instagram and twitter. But if you have suggestions let me know. I could ask for a blog review too, but it’s a little early.

We literally just need a cadre of 5-8 super readers and we’re golden. That gets the ball rolling on the grading and then everything else is easy. We’ll get there, but yes keep the ideas coming :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Novel Updates’ forums might be a decent place as well.

2 Likes

Man all the forums on the other sites are janky. And no, i’m not finding any active korean discussions. Granted I couldn’t even find a search function on goodreads ㅎㅎㅎ.

I’ll keep looking.

2 Likes