๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท Korean Fiction Book Club ๐Ÿ“– Now reading ์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ด! ๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธ

I just had a conference talking about this topic this morning! Gorillas, for example, have almost become extinct in nature because of Ebola. This book explores a really interesting scenario!

Iโ€™d also love to learn more biology related vocab in Korean. Iโ€™m still a long way off from being able to read research papers in Korean, but this can only help!

3 Likes

It might be worth having a look around for childrenโ€™s science textbooks and websites if itโ€™s something youโ€™re interested in. :slightly_smiling_face:

๊ธด๊ธด๋ฐค | L30?? is another childrenโ€™s book on my TBR which is tangentially related, about the last surviving rhino on earth and its friendship with a penguin, which won a childrenโ€™s literature award (the book, not the penguin :rofl:).

3 Likes

Iโ€™ll probably do that soon, but I think I still need to improve a bit before thatโ€™s actually doable. I plan on reading ์œ ๋ฏธ์˜ ์„ธํฌ๋“ค | L24?? first, since it being a webtoon should make it easier to follow. I tried to read it a while ago, but then I was also struggling with reading anything at all, and obviously the completely new to me biology vocab didnโ€™t help.
From the naver series description: ์œ ๋ฏธ๋Š” ์ง€๊ธˆ ๋ฌด์Šจ ์ƒ๊ฐ์„ ํ•˜๊ณ  ์žˆ์„๊นŒ?
๊ทธ๋…€์˜ ๋จธ๋ฆฟ์†์—์„œ ๋ฐ”์˜๊ฒŒ ์›€์ง์ด๋Š” ์„ธํฌ๋“ค ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ!

3 Likes

*Screenshot 2024-02-08 193754

Book: ์„œ์šธ ์‚ฌ๋Š” ์™ธ๊ณ„์ธ๋“ค | L22??
Genre: Young Adult
Length: 256 pages
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Korean

์ด ์†Œ์„ค์€ ๋นผ๊ณกํ•œ ์•„ํŒŒํŠธ์™€ ๊ฑฐ๋Œ€ํ•œ ๊ฑด๋ฌผ์ด ๋‘˜๋Ÿฌ์‹ผ ์ž‘์€ ์ฃผํƒ์„ ๋ฐฐ๊ฒฝ์œผ๋กœ ํŽผ์ณ์ง„๋‹ค. ๋งˆ๋‹น์—๋Š” ๋ฌดํ™”๊ณผ๋‚˜๋ฌด ํ•œ ๊ทธ๋ฃจ๊ฐ€ ํ’์„ฑํ•œ ์žŽ์„ ๋“œ๋ฆฌ์šด ์ด ์ง‘์— ์ค‘ํ•™๊ต๋ฅผ ์žํ‡ดํ•˜๊ณ  ์™ธํ†จ์ด๋กœ ์‚ด์•„์˜จ ์—ด์—ฌ๋Ÿ ์‚ด โ€˜์œค์‚ฌ์šฐโ€™๊ฐ€ ์ด์‚ฌ ์˜จ๋‹ค. ์—ฌ๊ณ ์ƒ ๋”ธ์„ ๋‘” ์•ˆ์ฃผ์ธ โ€˜์ฐ”๋ ˆ๊ฝƒ ์”จโ€™๋Š” ๋‚˜์ด๋ฅผ ์ง์ž‘ํ•˜๊ธฐ ์–ด๋ ค์šธ ๋งŒํผ ์ Š์–ด ๋ณด์ด๋Š” ๋ฐ๋‹ค ๊ธฐํ’ˆ์ด ์žˆ๊ณ  ์‹ ๋น„๋กœ์šด ๋Š๋‚Œ์„ ์ฃผ์ง€๋งŒ, ์‚ฌ์‹ค ๊ทธ๋…€๋Š” ๊ธ€์„ ์•Œ์ง€ ๋ชปํ•œ๋‹ค. ์ด ๋‘˜์ด ๋งˆ์Œ์„ ์—ด๊ณ  ๋‹ค๊ฐ€์„œ๋ฉด์„œ ์น˜์œ ์˜ ๊ธฐ์ ์ด ์‹œ์ž‘๋˜๋Š”๋ฐโ€ฆ.
์‚ฌ์šฐ๋Š” ์–ด๋ฆฐ ์‹œ์ ˆ ํ•™๊ต ๊ต์‚ฌ์—๊ฒŒ ์„ฑ์ถ”ํ–‰์„ ๋‹นํ•˜๊ณ ๋„ ์ฃผ๋ณ€์œผ๋กœ๋ถ€ํ„ฐ ๋ณดํ˜ธ๋‚˜ ์œ„๋กœ๋ฅผ ๋ฐ›์ง€ ๋ชปํ•œ๋‹ค. ์Šค์Šค๋กœ๋ฅผ ์ง€๊ตฌ์— ๋ฒ„๋ ค์ง„ โ€˜์™ธ๊ณ„์ธโ€™์ด๋ผ ์ƒ๊ฐํ•˜๋Š” ์‚ฌ์šฐ๋Š” ์ง‘ ์ฐฝ๋ฌธ์— ์ข…์ด๋ฅผ ๋•์ง€๋•์ง€ ๋ถ™์ด๊ณ  ์„ธ์ƒ๊ณผ ๋‹จ์ ˆํ•œ๋‹ค. ์„ฑํญ๋ ฅ ํ”ผํ•ด์ž์ธ ์ฃผ์ธ๊ณต์€ ๊ธฐ์กด ์ฒญ์†Œ๋…„์†Œ์„ค์—์„œ๋Š” ๋ณด๊ธฐ ๋“œ๋ฌธ ์บ๋ฆญํ„ฐ๋‹ค. ์ž‘๊ฐ€๋Š” ์‚ฌํšŒ์  ๋ฌธ์ œ๋ฅผ ์†Œ์„ค ์†์œผ๋กœ ๋Œ์–ด๋“ค์ด๊ณ  ์ƒ์ฒ˜ ๋ฐ›์€ ์ธ๋ฌผ์„ ์ž์‹ ๋งŒ์˜ ๋ฐฉ๋ฒ•์œผ๋กœ ๋ณด๋“ฌ๋Š”๋‹ค. ๋™์‹œ์— ์ง€๊ธˆ๋„ ์œ ์‚ฌํ•œ ์•„ํ””์— ์‹œ๋‹ฌ๋ฆฌ๋Š” ๋งŽ์€ ์‹ญ๋Œ€์—๊ฒŒ ์œ„๋กœ๋ฅผ ์ „ํ•˜๊ณ ์ž ํ•œ๋‹ค.
์ด ์ž‘ํ’ˆ์—์„œ๋Š” ๋ˆ๊ณผ ์š•๋ง์— ์ฐŒ๋“  ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์˜ ๋ฏผ๋‚ฏ์ด ๊ทธ๋Œ€๋กœ ๋“œ๋Ÿฌ๋‚œ๋‹ค. ์–ด๋ฆฐ ์œค์‚ฌ์šฐ๋ฅผ ํ–ฅํ•ด ์ถ”์•…ํ•œ ์š•๋ง์„ ๋“œ๋Ÿฌ๋‚ธ ๊ต์‚ฌ, ์‚ฌ์šฐ์˜ ๊ณ ํ†ต์„ ๋– ๋ฒŒ๋ฆฐ ์–ด๋ฅธ๊ณผ ๋†€๋ฆฌ๋Š” ์•„์ด๋“ค, ์ฐ”๋ ˆ๊ฝƒ ์”จ์˜ ์ง‘์„ ์ฐจ์ง€ํ•˜๋ ค๊ณ  ํšŒ์œ ์™€ ํญ๋ ฅ์„ ์ผ์‚ผ์€ ์ผ๋‹น๋“คโ€ฆ. ์‚ฌ์šฐ์™€ ์ฐ”๋ ˆ๊ฝƒ ์”จ๋Š” ์„ธ์ƒ์—์„œ ์ƒ์ฒ˜๋ฐ›๊ณ  ์‚ฌ๋žŒ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์— ๋‹ค์นœ, ๊ฐ์ž์˜ ์‚ฌ์—ฐ์„ ๊ฐ€์ง€๊ณ  ์‚ด์•„๊ฐ„๋‹ค. ๊ทธ๋Ÿฌ๋‚˜ ์—ญ์„ค์ ์ด๊ฒŒ๋„ ์ƒ์ฒ˜๊ฐ€ ์žˆ์—ˆ๊ธฐ์— ์ด ๋‘ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์€ ์„œ๋กœ์˜ ์Šฌํ””๊ณผ ์•„ํ””์„ ๋“ค์—ฌ๋‹ค๋ณด๊ณ  ์†Œํ†ตํ•˜๋Š” ์ผ์˜ ์†Œ์ค‘ํ•จ์„ ๊นจ๋‹ซ๋Š”๋‹ค.

Summary - English

This novel plays out against the backdrop of a small home surrounded by apartments and huge buildings. Itโ€™s to this little house with a fig tree in the yard, that 18 year old Yoon Sa-woo moves after dropping out of school and lives alone.

Mrs Wildrose looks deceivingly young but she has a high school aged daughter. Despite the air of mystery and elegance she excudes the truth is that she is illiterate.

As these two become close and open themselves up to one another, they start to heal from their traumas.

Sa-woo experienced sexual harassment from a teacher at school and wasnโ€™t protected or comforted by those around him. Considering himself an alien who has been abandoned on earth, he papers over the windows of his home and cuts himself off from the world. Having suffered sexual violence heโ€™s a rare character in youth literature.

The author uses the novel to explore social issues and the way those that are hurt can be taken care of in their own way. And at the same time conveys a sense of comfort to the many teens who are troubled by similar pain.

In this novel those that are driven by money and greed are laid bare. The teacher that displayed ugly desire towards young Yoon Sa-woo, the adults that gossiped about and kids that teased him about his suffering, and the group that tried to occupy Mrs Wildroseโ€™s house through cajoling and violence. Sa-woo and Mrs Wildrose, as hurt people in the world, each live their own stories. Through their hurt the two come to realise the value in understanding one anotherโ€™s pain and sadness.

Content warnings if known

Sexual violence

Why are you nominating this book: While the subject matter might seem heavy this is a YA book so I donโ€™t think itโ€™ll be too dark and based on the reviews it seems itโ€™ll have a positive/comforting message. It piqued my interest for tackling an unfamiliar topic within YA, and based on the Migaku stats the vocab is overall pretty high frequency so I think we could get a lot out of it as learners.

4 Likes

Really happy to see nominations coming in! :blush: Just taking a casual mood poll here, how long should we leave nominations open? I know @HopeWaterfall wanted to work through ์†Œ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋Š” ์†Œ๋…„ first so I donโ€™t want to get too ahead of things here since this club is quite small. Maybe until end of month, then a week long vote, and the start mid-Marchโ€ฆ?

4 Likes

Sounds good! :slightly_smiling_face:

Iโ€™m technically on week 5 of Week 10 of ์†Œ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋Š” ์†Œ๋…„ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘‚ Korean Fiction Book Club ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท, so thereโ€™s a chance I can finish just in time to start the next book if I get my act together. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just a small bump from me that, at least according to the initial vibe-check, nominations are still open for the club, and voting for the next book will begin soon!

3 Likes

Thank you for bumping this!

@bibliothecary @HopeWaterfall @bizoo - are we all still feeling like we would want to vote and start relatively soonish?

2 Likes

Iโ€™m fine with that! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah Iโ€™m good to start whenever :blush:

1 Like

Iโ€™m okay with that as well

1 Like

Book: ์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ด | L26
Genre: Crime, Suspense, Interview
Length: 200
Is there an ebook available?: yes ( and an audiobook)

Summary - Korean

ใ€Ž์„ธ๊ณ„๋ฅผ ๊ฑด๋„ˆ ๋„ˆ์—๊ฒŒ ๊ฐˆ๊ฒŒใ€ ์ž‘๊ฐ€ ์ด๊ฝƒ๋‹˜ ์‹ ์ž‘
โ€œํŒฉํŠธ๋Š” ์ค‘์š”ํ•˜์ง€ ์•Š์•„. ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์ด ๋ฏฟ๋Š” ๊ฒŒ ๋” ์ค‘์š”ํ•˜์ง€.โ€
์กฐ๊ฐ๋‚œ ์ง„์‹ค๊ณผ ๋ถ€์„œ์ง„ ๋ฏฟ์Œ์— ๊ด€ํ•œ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ

์‹ญ ๋Œ€๋“ค์˜ ์™ธ๋กญ๊ณ  ๋ถˆ์•ˆํ•œ ๋‚ด๋ฉด์„ ๋”ฐ๋œปํ•˜๊ฒŒ ์–ด๋ฃจ๋งŒ์ ธ ์ฃผ๋Š” ์ž‘ํ’ˆ์œผ๋กœ ์ฃผ๋ชฉ๋ฐ›์•„ ์˜จ ์ด๊ฝƒ๋‹˜ ์ž‘๊ฐ€๊ฐ€ ๊ฒฐ๋ง์„ ์˜ˆ์ธกํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์—†๋Š”, ๋†€๋ž๋„๋ก ํก์ธ๋ ฅ ์žˆ๋Š” ์ž‘ํ’ˆ์œผ๋กœ ๋Œ์•„์™”๋‹ค. ใ€Ž์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ดใ€๋Š” ํ•œ ์—ฌ๊ณ ์ƒ์˜ ์ฃฝ์Œ์ด๋ผ๋Š”, ๊ฒฐ์ฝ” ํ‰๋ฒ”ํ•˜์ง€ ์•Š์€ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ํ†ตํ•ด ๋…์ž๋“ค์—๊ฒŒ ์ง„์‹ค๊ณผ ๋ฏฟ์Œ์— ๊ด€ํ•œ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ๊ฑด๋„จ๋‹ค.

์†Œ์„ค์˜ ์ฃผ์ธ๊ณต์ธ ์ฃผ์—ฐ๊ณผ ์„œ์€์€ ๋‘˜๋„ ์—†๋Š” ๋‹จ์ง ์นœ๊ตฌ๋‹ค. ๋‘ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์ด ํฌ๊ฒŒ ์‹ธ์šด ์–ด๋Š ๋‚ , ํ•™๊ต ๊ฑด๋ฌผ ๋’ค ๊ณตํ„ฐ์—์„œ ์„œ์€์ด ์‹œ์ฒด๋กœ ๋ฐœ๊ฒฌ๋˜๊ณ  ๊ฐ€์žฅ ์œ ๋ ฅํ•œ ์šฉ์˜์ž๋กœ ์ฃผ์—ฐ์ด ์ฒดํฌ๋œ๋‹ค. ๊ทธ๋Ÿฐ๋ฐ ์–ด์ฐŒ ๋œ ์ผ์ธ์ง€ ์ฃผ์—ฐ์€ ๊ทธ๋‚ ์˜ ์ผ์ด ๋„๋ฌด์ง€ ๊ธฐ์–ต๋‚˜์ง€ ์•Š๋Š”๋‹ค. ์ฃผ์—ฐ์€ ์ •๋ง ์„œ์€์„ ์ฃฝ์˜€์„๊นŒ? ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๋Š” ์ฃผ์—ฐ๊ณผ ์„œ์€์— ๋Œ€ํ•ด ์ฆ์–ธํ•˜๋Š” ์—ด์ผ๊ณฑ ๋ช…์˜ ์ธํ„ฐ๋ทฐ์™€ ์ฃผ์—ฐ์˜ ์ฃผ๋ณ€ ์ธ๋ฌผ๋“ค์˜ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๊ฐ€ ๊ต์ฐจ๋˜๋Š” ๋…ํŠนํ•œ ๋ฐฉ์‹์œผ๋กœ ์ „๊ฐœ๋œ๋‹ค. ์ธํ„ฐ๋ทฐ์ด์— ๋”ฐ๋ผ ์ฃผ์—ฐ๊ณผ ์„œ์€์ด ์–ด๋–ค ์•„์ด์˜€๋Š”์ง€, ๋‘˜์˜ ๊ด€๊ณ„๋Š” ์–ด๋• ๋Š”์ง€๊ฐ€ ์‹œ์‹œ๊ฐ๊ฐ ๋ณ€๋ชจํ•ด ๊ฐ„๋‹ค. ๋ฐ˜์ „์— ๋ฐ˜์ „์„ ๊ฑฐ๋“ญํ•˜๋ฉฐ ๋…์ž๋ฅผ ํ˜ผ๋ž€์— ๋น ๋œจ๋ฆฌ๋Š” ์˜ˆ์ธก ๋ถˆ๊ฐ€๋Šฅํ•œ ์ „๊ฐœ๋Š” ๋…์ž๋“ค์—๊ฒŒ ๋๊นŒ์ง€ ์ฑ…์„ ์†์—์„œ ๋†“์ง€ ๋ชปํ•˜๊ฒŒ ํ•˜๋Š” ์—„์ฒญ๋‚œ ๋ชฐ์ž…๊ฐ์„ ์„ ์‚ฌํ•œ๋‹ค.

ใ€Ž์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ดใ€๋Š” ๋ณด์ด๋Š” ๋Œ€๋กœ๋งŒ ๋ณด๊ณ  ๋“ฃ๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ๋ง๋งŒ ๋“ฃ๊ณ  ๋ฏฟ๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ๊ฒƒ๋งŒ ๋ฏฟ๋Š” ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค๋กœ ๊ฐ€๋“ํ•œ ์„ธ์ƒ์ด ์–ผ๋งˆ๋‚˜ ์•ผ๋งŒ์ ์ธ์ง€๋ฅผ ๋…์ž๋“ค์˜ ๋ˆˆ์•ž์— ์ƒ์ƒํ•˜๊ฒŒ ํŽผ์ณ ๋ณด์ธ๋‹ค. ์ด๊ฝƒ๋‹˜ ์ž‘๊ฐ€์˜ ์ „์ž‘๋“ค์ด ์‹ญ ๋Œ€๋“ค์—๊ฒŒ ๊ฑด๋„ค๋Š” ๋‹ค์ •ํ•œ ์œ„๋กœ์˜€๋‹ค๋ฉด, ใ€Ž์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ดใ€๋Š” ์‹ญ ๋Œ€๋“ค์˜ ๊ณ์— ์„  ์ž‘๊ฐ€๊ฐ€ ์ง„์‹ค์ด ๋ฉ‹๋Œ€๋กœ ํŽธ์ง‘๋˜๊ณ  ์†Œ๋น„๋˜๋Š” ์„ธ์ƒ์— ๋˜์ง€๋Š” ์„œ๋Š˜ํ•œ ๊ฒฝ๊ณ ๋ผ๊ณ  ํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋‹ค.

Summary - English

New book from the author of โ€œI will cross the world to youโ€
โ€œFacts donโ€™t matter, what people believe matters more.โ€
A story about fragmented truth and shattered faith

Chul Chul-nim, who has been recognized for her warm and heartwarming stories of teenage angst, returns with a surprisingly absorbing novel with an unpredictable ending. "The Child I Want to Kill tells the story of a high school girlโ€™s death, a story that is anything but ordinary, and tells readers a story about truth and faith.

The novelโ€™s protagonists, Joo-yeon and Seo-eun, are best friends. One day, after a big fight, Seo-eun is found dead in a vacant lot behind the school building, and Joo-yeon is arrested as the prime suspect. But for some reason, Joo-yeon canโ€™t remember anything about that day. Did Joo-yeon really kill Seo-eun? The story unfolds in a unique way, with seventeen interviews of people who testify against Joo-yeon and Seo-eun, intercut with the stories of the people around Joo-yeon. Each interview changes the picture of who Joo-yeon and Seo-eun were as children and what their relationship was like. The unpredictable development of the story, with twists and turns that confuse the reader, creates a tremendous sense of immersion that will not let the reader put the book down until the end.

"The Child I Want to Kill vividly reveals the savagery of a world filled with people who see only what they see, hear only what they hear, and believe only what they believe. Whereas her previous books were a tender comfort to teenagers, The Kid I Want to Kill is a chilling warning from an author who has stood beside teenagers in a world where truth is edited and consumed at will.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Content warnings if known

character death, murder investigation

Why are you nominating this book: The topic is a little bit heavy, but itโ€™s also very interesting, and quite deep. I expected that such a topic would have complex vocab, but at least, from what I could read from the preview, itโ€™s a lot easier than ์†Œ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋Š” ์†Œ๋…„ | L27.
Itโ€™s one of the YA books written by famous author ์ด๊ฝƒ๋‹˜, which just makes me want to read it even more. You can check out @lingophile 's review to get a better idea of what the book is like.

4 Likes

Itโ€™s time to vote! :partying_face: Since we have a few book options but not so many members, I would say we all have one vote each for now (subject to change as the club grows)?

Which book would you like to read next as a club?

• ์‹œ๊ฐ„ ๊ณ ์–‘์ด
  • ์„œ์šธ ์‚ฌ๋Š” ์™ธ๊ณ„์ธ๋“ค
  • ์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ด
0 voters

When should we start?

• Letโ€™s start immediately! (March 11)
  • Letโ€™s start soonish (March 18)
  • Letโ€™s start later in the month (March 25)
  • Other (leave a comment)
0 voters
3 Likes

A 3-way tie so far. :eyes: Canโ€™t believe the Korean clubโ€™s going to be reading three books at once this time.

1 Like

The difficulty of being a tiny book club. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

You simply need to have a battle royal for who will be the Korean Monarch. Then their votes count for 2. :thinking:

2 Likes

Paging @HopeWaterfall to break the tie. :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh! We have a in leader in the pollsโ€ฆ :eyes:

2 Likes

Indeed! :eyes: I am going to leave this poll open until Tuesday just in case it attracts anyone else, but itโ€™s looking like we will end up with ์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ด! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Iโ€™m going to call it! :slightly_smiling_face: Looks like we have a winner! Iโ€™ll get a thread set up soon

4 Likes