🙋 Language goals for 2024? How did you do in 2023? ✨

Quick recap of my 2023 goals I posted st the end of 2022:

• Read more
  • Improve my understanding of basic grammar
  • Improve my vocabulary
  • Write more
  • Get a tutor
  • Complete MNN blue text books

Of these, the only one I didn’t do was MNN blue text book since I spent most of the time reviewing and getting stuck in burnout.

I did manage to read several manga as well as a few native level novels which all helped me improve my grammar understanding and vocabulary.

Goals for 2024:

• Fix the burnout so I can get back to proper studying
  • Read more; I’d like to finish Flying witch manga, re-read Kino’s Journey and Zoo book 1 before trying some other short stories (especially Zoo book 2) and light novels (including trying to hopefully read through 本好き later next year by which time I should have the rest of the books so far)
  • Study MNN blue textbook
  • Take more lessons and improve my speaking.

I would like to switch to using my Japanese-Japanese dictionaries as well.

Even though I didn’t manage to do as much as I wanted, I’m still happy with what I have achieved. I’m still a step closer to my overall goal and I have definitely improved from where I was at the start of the year :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

Short version:

• 2023:
    -Japanese :white_check_mark:
    -German :x:

• 2024:
    - Japanese: Immersion, Don’t ignore listening!
    - German(priority): reach B2 (C1 ideally)
    - English: practice writing and speaking

Details:
Japanese

I started learning Japanese in early 2023, so my goal was simply learning the language! Back in spring in order to push myself a bit I set additional goals:
1- take JLPT N2
2- read 2 novels(was so frustrated I couldn’t read anything but graded readers, wanted to read “real” books!)
With ふしぎな図書館 | L24 and むらさきのスカートの女 | L29 I’ve reached my goals.
Overall I’m very satisfied with my progress in Japanese, I’ve done even more than what I expected. Natively has been a great motivator.

:small_blue_diamond: 2024 plans:

• After spending 23 mostly on textbooks I’m gonna switch to immersion, trying to read variety of genres and different authors so that I can discover my interests and gain a general picture of Japanese literature.
  • My listening comprehension is very very weak. I’ll listen to audiobooks, if available, along reading. This one is a must; for some extra effort: watching movies without subs or with JP subs.
German

I wanted to review the lessons I took few years ago (roughly A2 level) in 2023. Sadly only managed to do around 20%.

Finish reviewing my lessons and read B1 & B2 textbooks.
Will try to read novels as well.

English

Didn’t have any goals in 2023!

Much as I’m confident in reading in English(been reading books mainly in English for years), my ‘output’ is lacking A LOT. I can rarely express my points and I’m aware of mistakes I’m making but can’t fix them!
I should try writing and speaking in English more until I can express myself clearly, with minimum errors. This will automatically lead to reviewing some grammar as well.

14 Likes

I randomly found Natively this summer from a link on Reddit. I accidentally ended up reading *checks stats* 139 days, 4 books, and 20 manga (so far). If you would have told me that at the beginning of the year, I would have said you were crazy. Suffice it to say that while I didn’t have any goals at the beginning of the year, I far surpassed any that I would have set.

Echoing a lot of other people, I don’t do well with rigid goals, but I do worse with no goals, so here’s my loosey goosey goalsetting for the next year:

Read comfortably at about level 30, listen comfortably at about level 25

My biggest focus right now is to get my listening level up closer to my reading level. I’d say I can comfortably read materials without excessive lookups at about level 25 right now, but with no text/subs, my listening is somewhere around 20. Ideally I’d like to tighten that range, but I’m also ok with just increasing them both :slight_smile:

Read more days than not

Pretty straightforward, and another one I’m sandbagging a little on to make sure I don’t get discouraged by setting a read every day goal and getting discouraged by missing one day and then knowing my goal is blown for the whole year.

Finish 3 book club books

This honestly feels like I could probably bump up the number here quite a bit, but I also don’t want to set myself up to fail.

Finish 3 Switch games

I bought a ton of second hand games in Japan in May and haven’t started a single one of them. 've also been stuck on the first few hours of the second Famicom Detective game since around the same time (I blame Tears of the Kingdom for sucking up all of my gaming time when I had started it).

Bonus points for:

French

Being in Canada for the next few years (even though it’s not close to the French speaking part of Canada), it feels like a missed opportunity to not work on my French.

I’m a solid A1 right now, but would love to get somewhere around B1 by the end of the year. If we get Natively for French ( :smiling_face:) I’ll want to have some book goals, but for now, keeping it kinda nebulous on purpose.

German?

French leapfrogged over German for “language mistress”. I was at high A2 level when I stopped earlier this year and would like to at least maintain there if possible, but not really a priority.

Mandarin????

So there’s a channel, Comprehensible Mandarin, and they have more than 700 videos, and it really feels like if I could just get to where I could follow what people are saying I’d be able to really take advantage of it, but I have no real motivation for learning it other than it’s there, I do already know kanji so that will help, and it would impress people. Which aren’t great reasons to learn a language :sweat_smile:

Start a language blog?

I sorta want to start a blog for English learners. Probably intermediate level since I love that sort of content and you just need so much. But also, won’t people just rather consume all of the content that already exists in English? Everyone is learning English, and so many people already exist in this space (although, I would argue, lots are grammar focused and pretty boring). :woman_shrugging:t4:

17 Likes

Re the “why would they read mine” - since you’re learning other languages maybe target those learners by talking about things you’re learning about in their cultures at an intermediate friendly level? And sharing how it compares your culture?

6 Likes

While I started Kuma Bear Vol. 1 in 2022, this was the year I finished it, and from there I ended up reading about 13 or 14 novels/light novels which I think was pretty good for being the first year I read native books. That and a handful of manga, though I don’t really count manga the same as prose books since I feel like it’s not as good for vocab retention, but it’s definitely fun.

14 Likes

My goals were:

• Read 2 non-furigana manga: In total I finished 6 manga across 3 different series. Ironically it lead less to “without being able to use Yomichan” than “finding out how to use mokuro to use Yomichan with manga too”, but after figuring out good tooling, I’m definitely not scared of furigana-less manga anymore. :white_check_mark:
  • L27+ book: I read Kino no Tabi at L29. :white_check_mark: (But it was really hard and took such a long time - I think I’ll slowly work my way up to it instead of forcing such a jump again.)
  • Finish up Yokai Watch 1: I didn’t - but that was because I started doing lots and lots of side quests, which involve a ton of reading too. I’m a bit afraid that I’ll lose interest once I finish the main storyline, so I want to play a lot of side quests before I do that. Technically I can’t give this one a checkmark, but I did play much, much more than what would’ve been necessary to simply finish the main storyline, so I feel like I’ve definitely followed the spirit of the goal.

Also I’m on track to achieving my secret goal that I haven’t told anybody about: Reading every single day of 2023! Some days were just “Oh man, I have to go to bed and didn’t read yet, guess I’ll just read one page.”, but on many others I read half an hour, an hour, or more.

For 2024, I don’t have any super specific goals. Reading every day again would be nice. Finally finishing the last bit of N3 on Bunpro, and maybe the first third of N2 would be cool too.

And, uh, getting through this pile and then keeping it up this time:

anki_2023-12-20 02.19.39.557

My biggest problem with reading is definitely my small vocabulary, so I hope to get back into SRS. It’s such an effective tool.
If only it wasn’t so tedious. :smiling_face_with_tear:

13 Likes

I feel that. Do you modify your cards at all? I add all sorts of pictures and example sentences to mine to give myself more memory hooks, and also because occasional silly pics/sentences make things more fun.

3 Likes

I don’t like pictures on my cards so much, and I want audio for my example sentences (and my vocab), so all my cards look like this:

It’s not particularly exciting, but I like the structure :slight_smile:

(On the unflipped side, there is just kanji & kana/word type/example sentence without furigana in Jp->Eng, and meaning/word type/english example sentence in Eng->Jp. And when I flip it, the audio auto-plays.)

6 Likes

Learning to CSS my cards and add all sorts of wacky fields or whatever really unlocked my SRS.

Well that and culling it so I don’t do more than 30min a day because otherwise i get bored af

11 Likes

And that’s literally what I did! :tada:
I’m going to finish 店長がバカすぎて | L30 next, reaching 21 “proper” books versus 42 light novels (and thus reaching 1/3 of my total 活字 books; not half as originally planned, but not bad)
Of course, that assumes that I won’t read any more light novels this year which is… doubtful :sweat_smile: I’m already planning to read log horizon next.

17 Likes

Guess who read every single day in 2023, but forgot it on the 30th of December? That’s right, it’s me.

Ah, well, 364 out of 365 is still a pretty good result. Guess I’ll have to try this again in 2024!

18 Likes

Since I’m going for a holiday trip, I haven’t though too deep into my goals.

I’ll be taking a break, and then look back and probably think of it more positively. It’s been a rough year :melting_face:

Happy new year everyone!

16 Likes

A bit late for the party but here we go
Since I didn’t make any goals for 2023 I’m just going to post what I did

2023 Year in Review

• Read 90 volumes of manga, about 14k pages, which took about 149h
  • Wanikani Level 26->38 / 12 levels in 106h
  • Anki 1744 new cards and 25,861⁩ reviews and completed following decks in 77h
    • N4 Tango Vocab
    • N4 Tango Omega
    • N3 Tango
  • Bunpro for 9h

2024 goals

• Reach Wanikani level 60
  • Read at least volume light novel
  • Finish Tobira
  • Create 3k Anki cards
  • Read 100 manga volumes
  • Watch a video of booktuber channel (https://www.youtube.com/@bellebook)
  • Watch 60h videos in Japanese (can be anime) with jp subs or without sub
  • N4 mock exam over 85% on all categories
14 Likes

I’m probably a little bit late here, but Imma share mine anyway :upside_down_face:

2023 in Review

I don’t really have much to report here, but I started Japanese after dreaming 10 years about learning the language, so I’ll consider that year a victory, just because of that! :wink: Here’s what I was able to get done last year:

• Started learning Japanese on Nov 30th
  • WaniKani: Level 1 → Level 6
  • Started Bunpro

Goals for 2024:

Now, these are pretty hardcore, especially because I started with absolutely zero knowledge about the language, but I belive that I can reach them!

• Level 60 WaniKani
  • Finish grammar on Bunpro up to N1
  • Get to a level where I can comfortably read and listen to ~N2 material
  • Watch at least one anime in Japanese without subtitles (I’m a slow watcher lol)

Let’s see how the year goes!

13 Likes

We’re getting close to the end of the first quarter of the year, how are you all doing so far?

36/150 books so far

I’ve been doing shadowing practice but not daily, I actually feel like I improve more but not practicing everyday.

I’ve only just got round to booking some italki sessions, I plan to do 3-4 30mins sessions per week.

No new friends :sweat_smile: but theres still time!

N1 test is still a maybe.

14 Likes

Very timely of you to ask! Because this pile:

…after chipping at it with 50-75 cards per day now finally looks like this:

anki_2024-03-27 23.21.39.150

After I’m done with it today I’ll be at 0 for the first time in… maybe 2 years! :partying_face:

Apart from that, I’ve been reading every day, so that goal is on track.

18 Likes

Thanks to @Psdes for updating this thread, I almost forgot about it :sweat_smile: My goals are going pretty well so far this year!

Japanese

• 12/50 novels (on track)
  • 16/50 volumes of manga (on track)
  • Making progress with finishing series, but none done yet
  • 15/100 hours of pure listening done (a bit behind)
  • 23/20 TBR books read - completed!

Mandarin

• I’m at 1.13/2M all time (mostly from 你的表情包比本人好看), but I’ve been mostly reading manhua. For reference, I started the year around 1M characters read.
  • No physical books done yet
  • Same for physical manhua
12 Likes

It’s probably good to take a quick status check of where I’m at.

…Welp, I haven’t started this at all. @.@ I need to be a bit more disciplined if I want to cross this goal off my list.

15 Likes

I’m at 0/0 novels. You all can decide if I’m at 0%, 100%, ∞%, or undefined.

20 Likes

Oh boy, check-in time! :fearful:

Japanese
2241/5000 pages read → 44% there
1/4 nonfiction books read → 25%
24 hours of conversation practice → 46%
61 hours of listening practice → 21%
4/5 books from my physical backlog → 80%

I also added on a lil writing goal after making this list:
5364/20,000 characters written → 26%

Swedish

10k anki deck…has been modified so extensively I’m just not going to track this one
I have not read and am not anywhere near reading HP in Swedish

I did start tracking, late, my Swedish hours. So far I have:
11 hours Swedish listening with dual Swedish/English subs
2 hours Swedish listening with only Swedish subs
1 hour Swedish reading practice
13 min Swedish listening with no subs
5 min Swedish reading with audio

11 Likes