ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

I’m testing out gifting books on Bookwalker, so in the club spirit, would anyone like a free Bookwalker copy of 本好き? If there are several people interested, I’ll put names through a random generator.

7 Likes

Is Bookwalker able to be hooked to Yomichan?

I’m not able to do so on trial books so I’m curious as I’d like to use the Gift feature too.

1 Like

I never used Yomichan, so I can’t say for sure, but I would suspect not. You can try with a free book, though. There are always a bunch of free stuff (including light novels or extended preview + manga preview combos that count as a book)

1 Like

Unfortunately not. But with the purchased books you can actually highlight things and get dictionary it Google translate, etc (it works poorly on desktop tho)

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a copy, tho I have one on Kindle, and the physical book already, so feel free to give to anyone else who requests

1 Like

unfortunately not, iirc bookwalker converts the ebook page you’re on into an image before serving to you.
If you’re willing to look around and invest a little bit of time, it is possible to de-DRM your copy from a few of the different available vendors, and then use a yomichan/lookup compatible reader like ttsu. Fair warning however; while it’s not illegal to do so, it’s still definitely a grey area with the terms of service and all. I de-DRM pretty much all my ebooks and haven’t personally been banned off any of the common vendors, but mileage may vary. Or if you’re dead set on using the official reader, I’ve found manga_ocr to work really well with novels and really just about any vertical text.

2 Likes

I’m already doing this with Amazon but I’m looking into alternatives in case my current backdoor closes.

Also I’ve been trying to find a way to read a book along with a friend, while not handing my copy but rather being able to give him a copy of the book digitally.

While Bookwalker allows you to give away books, is not much of help if you have look manually or semi-manually at words for dictionary.

2 Likes

You can’t use yomichan directly, but if you highlight the text in Bookwalker’s desktop reader you can use yomichan on the box that pops up.
Like this:
yomichan

8 Likes

Bumping this for visibility~

In other news, I was considering posting the home thread for this book in the All Languages category, since there’s interest in Korean readers joining us as well. What do you guys think? Anything I should be thinking about ahead of time in regards to a multi-language bookclub?

10 Likes

How are names going to be handled? Using the English name? We might need a wiki for that. It’s especially annoying with translations that change the names as well.

3 Likes

Looking at the list of characters for the Korean version, none of the names have been changed, per se, they’re just written using the Korean alphabet (hangeul). But I agree, a wiki would be useful.

2 Likes

The more the merrier. :partying_face:

4 Likes

I’ll probably need your help to note down proper page counts for Korean for however we divide up the book if you don’t mind, bibliothecary.

1 Like

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face:

When do you usually decide the pace for the next book?

1 Like

I’ll start taking a look when I set up the home thread this weekend, after コップクラフト is all wrapped up. That should give us enough time to look at any housekeeping issues ahead of the Sept. 4th start date as well.

5 Likes

Still interested if nobody else is

1 Like

My physical copy of 本好き arrived today so I’ll be taking part in the book club, probably reading then listening afterwards since I struggle to read and listen at the same time.

12 Likes

I might be interested! I have the full-furigana version, which apparently is only the first half of volume 1 …

7 Likes

I guess you could look at the schedule of the WK book club as an inspiration? At least it would give you the match between percentages and page number.

3 Likes

We’d be happy to have you.
It’s a good way to check if you enjoy the writing. You can always get the second part to continue. :slight_smile:

3 Likes