ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

Small correction that doesn’t affect your point, but SAO is L33 (not 32)

Did Discourse freak out and delete a bunch of votes or something?

3 Likes

Anyway, there’s a good sale for 青春ブタ野郎 for those interested. I bought the first volume for 199 yen. There’s a bunch more around half off, but I didn’t get any beyond the first.

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. :frowning: That’s our top two completely gone. Man, what the heck happened?

1 Like

It is quite a new feeling to see 本好き with no votes :joy:

It looks like everyone is still there but only got one vote (hence why the number of votes now match the number voters)

Edit: I just realized the same thing happened to the start date poll just below it.

I wonder if it happens to all multiple polls, including new ones?

• yes
  • maybe
  • no
  • how about that

0 voters

Well, it looks fine so far.
Maybe if I close it? I’ll wait a little bit anyway.

4 Likes

Whoa. I didn’t update today or anything, although I think I did in the last week. Still, bizarre.

1 Like

It’s possible it happened then and that no one noticed until now.

1 Like

You closed the poll and it still looks fine. At the very least my votes, yours, and Brandon’s all match what they were when the poll was open.

2 Likes

Yes, I got distracted and forgot to mention about it.

I wonder what would happen if @eefara reopened and then closed again the polls? (I assume that the votes are just lost and nothing would happen, but who knows)

1 Like

Thanks for telling! Got it just in case.

1 Like

It was set to close automatically, so unfortunately I don’t think I can reopen it. :confused:

The second one was not, though?

Whoops, you’re right; I didn’t scroll down far enough. I tried opening and re-closing it, but no change. :\

1 Like

Well I think it can be solved by holding a new vote if it’s decided that we want to start a second book club, but I think it’s something that we need to keep an eye on, because it sucks that the votes got lost and the poll got completely shifted.

I tried looking into issues of discourse but found nobody complaining about this behaviour.
Maybe next time set it to manually close just to be safe?

2 Likes

The one that was manually closed had the exact same problem, so, other than offering the option to vote again, a manual close wouldn’t do much if the problem happens again.

3 Likes

Well, but with a manual close you can take a screenshot before something happens.

Then maybe @brandon can report this issue happening if he can’t pinpoint why it’s happening in the back-end

4 Likes

Just curious, after this book club is over, we will get a chance to nominate more books before the next vote, right? Because there is a book I want to nominate for next time that I didn’t have the chance to when the initial nominations were open. :sob:

1 Like

I think you can nominate it now if you want. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Speaking of timing, I wonder when we should have the next poll?
On WK, polls took place ~6 weeks before the next book, so that people had time to get it. Considering that there are only 6 weeks left on コップクラフト, we should start thinking about it, I think.

(Also, there was that as well:

I don’t think we have done that yet :sweat_smile:)

Edit: I just checked and we went from 18 people who cared about the club (15 reading + 3 discussion only) down to 10 at the end of last week (9 reading + 1 discussion only). That feels on par with my experience with book clubs on WK.
As for myself, I realized that I could just follow along the 本好き club with the audiobook only as well.

3 Likes

Book:

Is there an ebook available?: yes
Is there an audiobook available?: no
Is there an all-furigana version available?: no

Summary - Japanese

ウワサのノンストップひきこもりアクション小説、登場!

ひきこもりの大ベテラン佐藤は気づいてしまった。人々をひきこもりの道へと誘惑する巨大組織の陰謀を!――といってどうすることもなく過ごす佐藤の前に現れた美少女・岬。彼女は天使なのか、それとも……。

Summary - English (Anilist)

Tatsuhiro Satou, a university dropout entering his fourth year of unemployment. He leads a reclusive life as a hikikomori, ultimately coming to the bizarre conclusion that this happened due to some sort of conspiracy. One day just when his life seems entirely unchanging, he meets Misaki Nakahara, a mysterious girl who claims to be able to cure Tatsuhiro of his hikikomori ways. She presents him with a contract basically outlining that once a day they would meet in the evening in a local park where Misaki would lecture to Tatsuhiro in an effort to rid him of his lifestyle. During these outings, many subjects are discussed, though they almost always pertain in some way to psychology or psychoanalysis.

Content warnings if known

Suicide and just generally mental health related topics

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve wanted to read this book for years, and having finally ordered it, I thought it would be nice to be able to discuss it with other people. Despite being a light novel, it only has one volume, meaning the club can read the whole story together, instead of potentially having an incomplete narrative from reading only one volume out of many. Besides, who doesn’t like reading books about crazy conspiracy theorists (who hopefully undergo some personal growth)?

6 Likes