ライトノベル読書会 📚 Light Novel Book Club | Next Book Apr 1

The usual M.O. is “good luck in the next voting round” to the second-place winner (unless one of the top two is a really short manga or something), but I don’t see any harm in a poll to hear people’s thoughts for the idea!

Would you be interested in having two novels run concurrently?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No opinion

0 voters

I think the usual reasoning is that a) it’s a lot of work, and b) you might unintentionally split your reader base, leading to lower numbers of participants all around. I’d like to hear people’s thoughts, though; if there’s demand, it could be an interesting experiment to try.

5 Likes

That makes sense! I can definitely see how it would be a lot of work and potentially discouraging if participation is lower… might be too much for anyone who was interested in reading both also!

4 Likes

It’s hard to go for an option, as if there’s a split, then コップクラフト would be a sure no for me.

So I don’t think it’s fair for me to vote, and more fair for people who voted for both コップクラフト and one of the other leading candidates.

Also this would be potentially my first book club, so I’d say I’m not the best to lead one of the clubs if there’s a split.

5 Likes

Hmm. Another thing I thought about was that if the two top books are different lengths, that might make it complicated to know when to start the next round of book club.

Definitely count my “interested” vote as “interested if it seems doable and everyone’s really excited about reading one or both of these books right away” :joy: I’m not super attached to the idea, just curious about the possibility!

1 Like

The vote should be respected, but at the same time I think コップクラフト is pretty out of place when compared to the other books in the lineup.

Every candidate except for コップ and 俺ガイル are L30±1, and so I’d have to assume that the hangup for some people (myself included) would be the jump from the N2 rating to an N1 book. Additionally, コップクラフト is a seemingly complex fantasy setting, and while 俺ガイル is L34, it’s also primarily a SoL set in modern Japan and as such has more of a contextual grounding. I’ll be trying to read along with whatever the winner is, though I am expecting to have to look up a lot more than usual in order to keep up with コップクラフト than any of the other books in the list and I do wonder if I’ll be able to manage it.

I think it would definitely be worth considering some options that could resolve and or alleviate the gap in difficulty. I know WK has multiple book clubs running at once that are sorted into general difficulty levels, and is often taken into account when deciding what to read. I personally think having more than one club running at once isn’t a terrible idea, though some kind of diving line should be agreed upon before doing so.

4 Likes

Which one is this one again? :sweat_smile: やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている?

Thinking about it, I may have not put up the best poll before; re-reading it, I’m not sure if I’m getting good information from it. Bear with me guys, let me put one more up:

Would you be open to participating in two LN club threads at once?
  • Yes, if I was interested in both books
  • No, even if I was interested in both
  • Highly depends on interest, time, book level, etc.
0 voters

I know this is still kind of wobbly; everyone to some extent would decide based on current real-life circumstances. I guess I’m trying to gauge how people are most likely to lean. For instance, if it kind of depends for you, but you’d try to make it work, at least for a week or two, vote for the first option.

5 Likes

lol yeah, that’s the one

1 Like

How the heck is 俺ガイル pulled from that title?

2 Likes

If I had to guess, it’d be「やはりの青春ラブコメはまちっている

1 Like

Oof. That’s like the least informationally-useful acronym (?) I’ve seen in a while. Thanks for the explanation, though!

This is a good point to bring up, going back to your main question. The mystery club here hasn’t been as concerned with level, and I’ve been taking more cues from it compared to WK clubs. Idk if people are tired of me making polls or not; what are everyone’s thoughts on levels?

3 Likes

コップクラ would definitely be a stretch for me level-wise, so not sure if I would be able to participate if that ends up winning. It does sound nice to have another option at a lower reading level if there’s enough interest, but otherwise I’m happy to wait for the next round and see if the next pick is a better level for me. I know the original idea was to have an LN book club, not a level-based one.

1 Like

That’s what the fandom page says (do a Ctrl+F for contraction):

But there’s also a street fighter reference
in there apparently:
https://anilist.co/forum/thread/38936

5 Likes

Hah! That’s hilarious, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Well, that one is easier to answer :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not fussed about levels personally. But if a significant number of people wouldn’t participate bc the winning LN was too hard, but they would participate for #2, that seems like a reasonable time to have 2 threads.

In general, I think having two threads only makes sense if you have two distinct, mostly non-overlapping groups (which so far is what we have here). Otherwise, it seems counterproductive (esp for a first book).

Personally I’m not too enthused about the コップクラフト book, but will give it a try if it wins. If we split, then I’ll only do 本好き (assuming it stays in the top 2). In general, I’d only do two simultaneously, if I really loved both books, and was already reading (or had read) one of them anyway.

6 Likes

yeah, I agree with this. My biggest concern with splitting is it takes the wind out of the sails of the club, but since the two groups aren’t really overlapping much I think it’d be much more feasible than before. I’m also going to echo what @senkuma mentioned of making this club leveled. Lower level books tend not to win/attract many votes in the Mystery Club, but there definitely seems to be an appetite for it in this one.

I’m also not entirely sure if the strong split of コップカラフト vs non-コップカラフト is due to difficulty so much as subject matter :sweat_smile: I know I’m interested in it because it aligns with my interests and I’m generally not a big LN person, and it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume from that that people who are big into LN might not like the themes of コップカラフト as much.

5 Likes

Currently @Belerith seems to be the only one who voted for the current #1 and #2 options.

So yeah, the overlapping members would be @Belerith and whoever would join to the winner even if they didn’t vote for that option.

Again the problem with コップクラフト for me is not the level, I’m willing to try new heights, and with help from the book club might be doable, but the series status and the history of the author is a big concern for me.

@Naphthalene , without spoilers, if you read Vol. 1 in a vacuum it has a full conclusion and doesn’t need the ongoing? AKA nothing important left hanging or open, and it can be considered as a one shot story?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s fine as a one shot, the story is solved by the end of the book. I don’t know how things are in the other volumes, but I kinda assume that it’s one of those cop/crime series where each volume introduces a different murder/crime/whatever and the main characters just solve the case.

5 Likes

In my case, it’s because I have read コップカラフト once and 本好き twice-ish (published version + なろう version). I really like 本好き… but not to the point of reading the first volume 3 times. I would not even read コップカラフト twice typically, but I don’t mind listening to it this time around.

4 Likes

I guess that’s the case for me for 本好き.

My idea was jumping into the anime when I finished the books that correspond to it, but I wouldn’t mind a re-read since I enjoy it, and I would probably get stuff I missed the first round, but yeah, reading it 3 times would be a stretch.

4 Likes