🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う!

Book: グラスホッパー | L35
Is there an ebook available?: Yes

Summary - Japanese

「復讐を横取りされた。嘘?」元教師の鈴木は、妻を殺した男が車に轢かれる瞬間を目撃する。
どうやら「押し屋」と呼ばれる殺し屋の仕業らしい。
鈴木は正体を探るため、彼の後を追う。
一方、自殺専門の殺し屋「鯨」、ナイフ使いの天才「蝉」も「押し屋」を追い始める。
それぞれの思惑のもとに──。
「鈴木」「鯨」「蝉」、三人の思いが交錯するとき、物語は唸りをあげて動き出す。

Summary - English

“Revenge has been stolen. Is this a lie?” Suzuki, a former teacher, witnesses the moment a man who killed his wife is hit by a car. It seems to be the work of an assassin called “Oshiya”. Suzuki follows him to find out who he really is.

Meanwhile, “Whale”, an assassin who specializes in suicide, and “Cicada”, a genius with a knife, also begin to pursue “Oshiya”. Each of them has its own agenda.

When the thoughts of Suzuki, Whale, and Cicada intersect, the story begins to roar.

Content warnings if known

Nothing

Why are you nominating this book: It’s the first book of the 殺し屋 series and seems to be quite popular in the mystery genre. Only ~300 pages and based on what I read from the first few pages, the writing is quite straightforward so hopefully even a “beginner” can follow along just fine.

7 Likes

Ooh! Natively’s first bookclub! I’m definitely interested in participating as well! Gotta look through my own wishlist and see what would fit here.

How should manga be handled? Wanikani typically only does one volume, but if the reading level of those here skews higher, we could get away with reading more.

3 Likes

I actually have no idea how to handle manga in a book club because it tends to be several volumes and more expensive so I left it off :sweat_smile: I can read a single manga volume in an afternoon but they’re pricey! :scream:

3 Likes

I’m very interested in this book club! Thanks for organizing, @cat!

I went through my list to see which books I might nominate, but it’s so easy to get lost in this sea of options… I might selfishly nominate 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 by Riku Onda (not on Natively yet), which was recently translated as “Fish Swimming in Dappled Sunlight”, just because I was going to read it anyway, but book clubs are all about discovering new things, right?

I remember two books I had read in translation many years ago and loved them at the time. One was Out by Natsuo Kirino (OUT 上 | L35), the other was In the Miso Soup (イン ザ・ミソスープ) by Ryu Murakami. Sadly, none of these seem to be out in ebook form, or I’d very gladly reread them in Japanese.

I found two other Natsuo Kirino books that might be worth checking out. 柔らかな頬 上 | L30??, which was awarded the Naoki Prize, and 顔に降りかかる雨, which was awarded the Edogawa Rampo prize. Not sure about her writing style in Japanese, I’ll have to check a sample first. But 柔らかな頬 consists of two volumes, the first of which is 359 pages, and 顔に降りかかる雨, is 496 long, so both probably a little too long for a book club?

Anyway, I’ll keep looking, and I’m looking forward to more of everyone’s nominations. I hope we get a lot until the voting date!

9 Likes

Ahhh yes! You have such good taste in mystery novels! I’m excited! :smiley:
I submitted a handful yesterday to be added to the site so I could nominate them, and need to check my paperback 積読 pile to see if any have ebook versions as well.

I’ve been wanting to read Natuso Kirino for awhile now too.

I’m not sure about page limit, but perhaps 400 for now? Once things inch past that I do worry it would intimidate people, but I’m happy to hear opinions!

2 Likes

Book: 聖母|L31
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

東京都藍出市で、幼稚園児の遺体が発見された。被害者は死後に性的暴行を加えられていた。事件のニュースを見た主婦・保奈美は、大切なひとり娘も狙われるのでは、と恐怖を覚える。警察は懸命に捜査を続けるが、犯人は一向に捕まらない。娘を守るため、母がとった行動とは。結末を知った時、世界は一変する。驚愕の長編サスペンス・ミステリー!

Summary - English

The body of a kindergartener was found in Aide, Tokyo. The victim had been sexually assaulted after her death. When housewife Honami sees the news of the incident, she fears that her precious only daughter may also be targeted. The police continue their investigation, but the perpetrator is never caught. What action does the mother take to protect her daughter? An astonishing full-length suspense mystery.
Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Judging from the summary, sexual assault and murder of young children.

I didn’t know anything about this book until a few hours ago, and normally the religious title and cover would put me off, but I read various reviews that all talked about such a mindblowing twist that they had to question their understanding of what they had read till then, so that sounded intriguing. And I’m always up for discovering new authors.

4 Likes

Book: 柔らかな頬 上 | L30??

Summary - Japanese

カスミは、故郷・北海道を捨てた。が、皮肉にも、その北海道で娘が謎の失踪を遂げる。
友人家族の北海道の別荘に招かれ、夫、子供と共に出かけたカスミ。5歳の娘・有香が忽然と姿を消す。実は、 石山とカスミと不倫の関係であり。カスミと石山は家族の目を盗み、逢引きを重ねていたのだ。夫と子供を捨てても構わないと決心したその朝、娘は消えた。有香が消えた原因はもしや自分にあるのか? 罪悪感に苦しむカスミは一人、娘を探し続けるが、何の手がかりも無いまま月日が過ぎ、事件は風化してゆく。しかし4年後、元刑事の内海が再捜査を申し出る。カスミは一人娘の行方を追い求め事件現場の北海道へと飛ぶ。
この一作がミステリーの概念を変えた、話題の直木賞受賞作。

Summary - English

Constituting the north of the Japanese archipelago, Hokkaido is an inhospitable region of harsh mountains and gray sea. At eighteen, Kasumi got on a bus and fled the family home to try her luck in Tokyo, never to see her parents again. After fifteen years of absence, she returns for a few days to her native region, at the invitation of a couple of friends, the Ishiyamas, accompanied by her husband and her two daughters. But one fine morning, five-year-old Yuka disappears without a trace. All searches will be in vain. Did the little girl run away, like her mother years earlier? Was she the victim of an accident or a heinous crime? But which of the relatives or neighbors could have committed such an act? Kasumi is racked with guilt because this stay was actually just a pretext to see Yohei Ishiyama, the couple’s friend, who is also her lover. Then begins for Kasumi a slow drift, a desperate investigation in search of her missing daughter, during which she will receive the unexpected help of Utsumi, a former police inspector suffering from stomach cancer. These two characters, as if torn from life by their respective tragedy, will sink like ghosts into the foggy mornings of Hokkaido…
from Amazon.fr

Not known, but Kirino does tend to get dark and doesn’t shy away from gore or violence.

I was blown away when I read Out in translation, many years ago. I’ve read other books by Kirino since, always in translation, and they were good, but Out continued to stand out. This book has won the prestigious Naoki prize, and some reviewers group it with Out among her best books. I’m very interested to finally read this author in her native language. However, note that the book comes in two volumes. Volume 1 is a manageable 358 pages, but then there’s a whole other volume after it…

3 Likes

Just a note, the title didn’t seem to be displaying correctly here.

What a thing to be convicted of.

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. It showed up fine on the preview. And I can’t for the life of me make it display correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Huh. The joys of automatic translation… :joy:

4 Likes

Book: 十角館の殺人 | L34

Summary - Japanese

十角形の奇妙な館が建つ孤島・角島を大学ミステリ研の7人が訪れた。館を建てた建築家・中村青司は、半年前に炎上した青屋敷で焼死したという。やがて学生たちを襲う連続殺人。ミステリ史上最大級の、驚愕の結末が読者を待ち受ける!
1987年の刊行以来、多くの読者に衝撃を与え続けた名作が新装改訂版で登場。

Summary - English

Ayatsuji reinvigorates the classical English mysteries of Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ellery Queen, and John Dickson Carr by stripping them down to their essentials and examining their moving parts. In this novel, six members of the Kyoto University Mystery Club—each taking the alias of a famous mystery writer—assemble on an abandoned island and take up residence in a decagonally shaped house. Naturally, soon enough the students begin to be killed off, and the race is on to discover the murderer’s identity. Meanwhile, back on the mainland, two members of the club who chose not to go receive mysterious letters that lead them to believe that something is afoot on the island. Along with an enthusiastic partner, they set about trying to solve another mystery from years past, which has connections to the island. Ayatsuji leaves no doubts about his intentions, making copious references to Christie’s And Then There Were None, and even the characters are well aware that they have stumbled into a work of their favorite type of fiction. The metafictional trappings are good fun, but they wouldn’t mean much if the mystery itself wasn’t equally fun and tricky. And it is.

None that I know of.

This book keeps coming up whenever I search for Japanese mystery recommendations. It’s very much an Agatha Christie-style mystery. Not my style generally, but it might be fun to read something less gritty for a change.

7 Likes

Sorry if this was too many nominations from the same person :sweat_smile:. If so, feel free to ignore. It’s just that I got too excited about the club and starting looking for possible books to nominate, which led to an endless rabbit hole that I’m still not out of… I’m stopping with the nominations now though! (At least until the Riku Onda book gets added to Natively…maybe).

3 Likes

The rest was translated so nicely it took me by surprise, haha.

This book looks awesome! I definitely appreciate the less-gritty suggestions; there’s only so many “and after her beloved children were gruesomely killed our single mother with a terrible family situation and drug problem goes to investigate” summaries I can read before they all start to look very samey from the outside.

I’ve got one or two books in mind I’m going to nominate; gonna see if I can get those up tomorrow.

4 Likes

:rofl: I noticed the pattern too, but I assure you, it was completely unintentional!

Looking forward to your nominations!

3 Likes

Book: 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う。 | L31

Summary - Japanese

日本の昔話をミステリで読み解き好評を博した『むかしむかしあるところに、死体がありました。』に続き、西洋童話をベースにした連作短編ミステリが誕生しました。今作の主人公は赤ずきん! ――クッキーとワインを持って旅に出た赤ずきんがその途中で事件に遭遇。「シンデレラ」「ヘンゼルとグレーテル」「眠り姫」「マッチ売りの少女」を下敷きに、小道具を使ったトリック満載! こんなミステリがあったのか、と興奮すること間違いなし。全編を通して『大きな謎』も隠されていて、わくわく・ドキドキが止まりません!

Summary - English

Following the popular “Once upon a time, there was a dead body”, a mystery based on a Japanese folktale, a series of short mysteries based on Western fairy tales has been created. This time, the main character is Red Riding Hood! --The Red Riding Hood sets out on a journey with cookies and wine, but along the way she encounters an incident. Based on “Cinderella,” “Hansel and Gretel,” “Sleeping Beauty,” and “The Match-Seller,” the story is full of tricks using props! You will surely be excited to know that such a mystery exists. There are also “big mysteries” hidden throughout the book, which will keep you excited and thrilled!

None I’m aware of.

Why are you nominating this book: I saw it in some video book review and it looked like a lot a fun. A good option for people wanting a non-gritty book I imagine.
Edit: It will have a movie version in 2023

6 Likes

Book: 大鞠家殺人事件 | L30??

Summary - Japanese

斬りつけられた血まみれの美女、
夜ごと舞いおどる赤頭の小鬼、
酒で溺死させられた死体―
怪異、謎解き、驚愕、これぞ本格推理。
大空襲前夜の商都・船場を舞台に描き、
正統派本格推理の歴史に
新たな頁を加える傑作長編ミステリ
〝物語作家″芦辺拓はここまで凄かった!

大阪の商人文化の中心地として栄華を極めた船場――戦下の昭和18年、婦人化粧品販売で富を築いた大鞠家の長男に嫁ぐことになった陸軍軍人の娘、中久世美禰子。だが夫は軍医として出征することになり、一癖も二癖もある大鞠家の人々のなかに彼女は単身残される。戦局が悪化の一途をたどる中、大鞠家ではある晩“流血の大惨事”が発生する。危機的状況の中、誰が、なぜ、どうやってこのような奇怪な殺人を? 正統派本格推理の歴史に新たな頁を加える傑作長編ミステリ!

Summary - English

A slashed and bloodied beauty, a red-headed imp who dances in the night, a corpse drowned by alcohol.
A mystery, a riddle, and a shock: this is a true mystery.
Set in the mercantile city of Semba on the eve of a major air raid, this is an authentic historical mystery.
A masterpiece that adds a new page to the history of authentic mystery
a new page in the history of authentic mystery.
Taku Ashibe, the “story writer,” has come this far!

In Semba, the center of Osaka’s merchant culture, the year of the war, 1943, Mineko Nakakuze, the daughter of an army soldier, marries the eldest son of the Omari family, which has made a fortune through the sale of women’s cosmetics. However, her husband goes off to war as a military doctor, and she is left alone among the Omari family members, who have their own peculiarities. As the war situation continues to worsen, a “bloody catastrophe” occurs one night in the Ohmari household. Who, why, and how could such a bizarre murder be committed under such critical circumstances? This is a masterpiece of a full-length mystery that adds a new page to the history of authentic mystery!

None that I know of

Why are you nominating this book: Yet another book I read a review of and thought it sounded good. Set during WWII but not actually about the war. Never read this author but based on the cover art of many of their books I dig their style.

4 Likes

Book: テスカトリポカ | L35

Summary - Japanese

鬼才・佐藤究が放つ、クライムノベルの新究極、世界文学の新次元!

メキシコのカルテルに君臨した麻薬密売人のバルミロ・カサソラは、対立組織との抗争の果てにメキシコから逃走し、潜伏先のジャカルタで日本人の臓器ブローカーと出会った。二人は新たな臓器ビジネスを実現させるため日本へと向かう。川崎に生まれ育った天涯孤独の少年・土方コシモはバルミロと出会い、その才能を見出され、知らぬ間に彼らの犯罪に巻きこまれていく――。海を越えて交錯する運命の背後に、滅亡した王国〈アステカ〉の恐るべき神の影がちらつく。人間は暴力から逃れられるのか。心臓密売人の恐怖がやってくる。誰も見たことのない、圧倒的な悪夢と祝祭が、幕を開ける。

Summary - English

A new ultimate of crime novels and a new dimension of world literature by the genius Kyu Sato!

Balmiro Casasola, a drug trafficker who reigned over a Mexican cartel, fled Mexico after a war with a rival organization and met a Japanese organ broker in Jakarta, where he was hiding out. The two travel to Japan in order to realize a new organ business. Koshimo Hijikata, a boy born and raised in Kawasaki and a stranger on his own, meets Valmiro, discovers his talent, and unwittingly becomes involved in their crimes. Behind the intersecting fates across the sea, the shadow of a fearsome god from the ruined kingdom of the Aztecs flickers in the background. Can human beings escape violence? The horror of a heart trafficker is coming. An overwhelming nightmare and festival, the likes of which no one has ever seen, unfolds.

There is a non-zero chance that this book is gorey

Why are you nominating this book: Saw it in a book review, haha. Kind of a break from the normal “whodunnit” type mystery. A bit unsure what genre this book even really is, but it won the Naoki prize and I’ve seen it in mystery book lists so figured I’d add it incase others were interested too!

4 Likes

Oh that’s “only” level 30?

I’ve been putting off some of the classics like that.

変な家 is another shorter possibility. Not sure it’s really level 30 (maybe 28?), I read that many books back and didn’t have many problems.

So many choices here to add to my list :smile_cat:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t consider 1987 a classic. :grin: Language really shouldn’t have changed all that much since then.
But I only now noticed it’s rather huge at 512 pages. :sweat_smile: Sorry I missed it before… @Cat, feel free to remove any of my nominations that may be unsuitable…

Ooh, I remember reading something about that and finding it interesting! Will you nominate it?

3 Likes

While I love a mystery, was trying to resist joining this as I’m already reading far too many different things. That said, this book has been on my ‘want to read’ list for ages so if it ends up getting selected I feel like my limited self control will crumble and I’ll have to join in! (

I guess it depends what kind of difficulty level and speed you’d be wanting for this group. The advanced WK book club have read mystery novels like すべてがfになる (524 pages) before - but at a pace of 50+ pages a week which could be a lot depending on reading experience. That said, I feel like most mysteries are paced in a way that reading at a slow pace could be somewhat difficult…

6 Likes

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m almost kind of hoping that a book I’m not interested in gets picked so I’m safe for the time being. @.@ Stop recommending interesting-looking books, guys!

Speaking of which, all three of my suggestions are by the same author. I haven’t read any of their work, but the more I looked at their stuff the less I was able to decide. Let me know if I should limit them or anything like that.

Edit: can’t post more than three times in a row, so I’ll post my final suggestion after someone reples.

4 Likes