🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う!

I see, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree with @omk3 here - this poll is about process, not medium specifically. My goal is to have this poll once and not have to revisit it for future instances of run offs.

Also on mobile so multiple quotes is always a bit of trouble but in reply to @mita - also part of the goal here is to prevent that kind of situation. If people know it will be read next they’ll (likely) hold off, but if they know it’s the whims of the next poll they can take that into consideration.

I’m leery about holding too many polls as I don’t want to exhaust people with them, and also unless I’m cross-posting each onto WK I’m missing a subset of people who come in for the nomination vote but otherwise aren’t super active on Natively.

7 Likes

I think that’s totally fair! In that case I think it makes sense for the book that came 2nd in a tie run-off to be read next. No need to add an extra qualifications if all that does is complicate things!

9 Likes

Final vote: yes, in the case of a tie we read the winner of the run off followed by the runner up.

Also, one of the nominations has been made into a movie that will be released on Netflix next month:

I actually started listening to the audiobook since I wasn’t sure it would ever win, and it’s a pretty easy listen. A bit silly for sure, but I’m enjoying it.

9 Likes

Just a quick reminder that after 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 concludes (final week opens September 18th) we will move onto medium 霊媒探偵城塚翡翠 | L33 after a 2 week break, meaning the club will start October 9th.

@SophieShiori as you nominated the book would you like to lead the club by posting the weekly threads? If you don’t wish to do so I will handle the threads; no pressure either way.

8 Likes

Oof, that’s midway through my holiday. I guess I’ll catch up the week after…

5 Likes

If you are happy to run the threads I would really appreciate it! I can try and manage it if there are any weeks that you’re busy, but I’ve never done this before :sweat_smile::pray:

3 Likes

Totally happy to run it and I’ll give a shout if I’m expecting to be out of town / away from my computer and need help posting. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to this :smiley:

2 Likes

Quick pulse check re: scheduling.

Medium is a longish book, Natively lists it at 496 pages. The book has a decent number of finished readers and has landed at Level 33. With that in mind:

How fast would you be comfortable reading this book?
  • Up to 30 pages a week
  • Up to 40 pages a week
  • Up to 50 pages a week
  • Up to 60 pages a week
  • I desire to binge read this book
0 voters
Do you prefer to start slow and ramp up near the end, or keep a steady pace?
  • Start slow, ramp up as the reveal nears
  • Keep it steady
0 voters

If you don’t care about the pacing there is the option to vote for both :wink:

4 Likes

Does anyone know how the page counts compare to the audiobook “sections”? I don’t have the ebook but am planning to listen along.

1 Like

I was flipping through the ebook earlier and the chapters are pretty long with only asterisk separators, not true sections. While it’s possible they correspond to those breaks, it’s hard for me to confirm without spoiling things for myself :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I happen to have @Belerith’s paperback copy with me at the moment (don’t ask ok? :sweat_smile:) and I can confirm that it’s a big boi! The 解説 ends on page 482.

5 Likes

The ebook only has like 4 bigger chapters, so you’ll probably have to listen for the last sentence of a week’s section. The % of the ebook should help though. It should be approximately the same in the audiobook.

Edit: I just checked my audiobook and I have 42 sections and checking the first section break it’s in the middle of a section in the ebook, though at a good break point within the text. Checking a couple more section breaks, they do sometimes break at * points in the ebook. Since the sections are fairly short, it’s likely that a break in the audiobook will correspond with where the BC stops for the week (since those tend to also be at natural breaking points.)

At 190k characters, it’s less than some of 本好き books have (I think) but definitely more than your average novel.

5 Likes

So it looks like most people are comfortable somewhere between 30 and 50 pages a week, with a desire to ramp up closer to the end. With that in mind, I’ll try to make a schedule. I’m approximating pages based on the Natively listed 496, but will also give % from my ebook copy.

Week Up to Approximate Pages Percent
Week 1 * - last sentence ending 最後になった 31 8%
Week 2 * - last sentence ending 観ていたのだろう 26 14%
Week 3 * - last sentence ending 明かしてください 26 19%
Week 4 end of 第一話 24 24%
Week 5 * - last sentence ending じいぅと見つめていた 28 31%
Week 6 * - last sentence ending 席に立った 25 37%
Week 7 end of 第二話 29 43%
Week 8 * - last sentence ending 女の子です 29 49%
Week 9 * - last sentence ending 見つかったそうです 33 56%
Week 10 * - last sentence ending 愛しげに抱きしめた 33 64%
Week 11 * - last sentence ending はそう判断した 26 70%
Week 12 English sentence containing “Iced coffee” 29 76%
Week 13 English sentence containing “Grimoire” 29 81%
Week 14 * - last sentence ending その経緯を知りたいです 44 90%
Week 15 until 解説 29 96%

You may note that we actually only truly ramp up once, in week 14. This is because the final chapter has next to no section breaks and the clearest breaks I could find were the English sentences scattered throughout :melting_face: Hopefully this schedule works for everyone – at the very least I feel confident we’ll be moving at a pace sustainable for all club members.

8 Likes

For whoever didn’t grab it during the previous promotion (like me), the Medium audiobook is again 50% off! :partying_face:

3 Likes

One week 'til! Who else is excited? :eyes: I hope those interested in the audiobook managed to snag a copy before it went back to full price.

6 Likes

I have so many things I need to read first :skull:
AND I still want to hit 20 “not light novels” by the end of the year. I have 7 to go.

… well, despite the cover, Booklive puts medium in the 小説・文芸 category, so it works (and I’m not going to question it)

4 Likes

It’s not categorized as a LN, but similar to 屍人荘の殺人シリーズ (series) | L33 (which I won’t read because I hate zombies) there are a lot of reviewers saying it has those vibes but also people saying no, it doesn’t. :person_shrugging: All I want from it is a solid mystery and good characters :pray:

5 Likes

I really like to join this one.
There are 2 challenges.
One is the level. This book is apparently higher than my level. Reading it along others will definitely help me with the difficulty.
The other challenge is the genre. Mystery is not my most favorite genre, but I like reading outside of my comfort zone from time to time and reading with a bookclub is for sure a motivation.
But then again the book is huge, and the difficulty is higher than my current level and I’m sure I’ll fall behind the schedule since my reading speed is still so low.

I look forward to this bookclub whether I’ll join the discussions or not , because I have the book anyway and I’ll read it at some point, only I might catch up later.

7 Likes