🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う!

Book: 点と線 | L36
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

From the book’s Wikipedia page: 福岡市香椎の海岸で発見された男女の情死体に疑問を持った2人の刑事の事件捜査を活写し、F・W・クロフツらによって確立されたアリバイ崩しのスタイルを継承したミステリー長編[注釈 1]。著者の最初の長編推理小説であり、松本清張ブームを巻き起こした作品である。

Content warnings if known

None known

Why are you nominating this book: Found it in my TBR pile :sweat_smile: A language partner recommended this to me at some point.
Looking at the Natively reviews, it doesn’t seem to be popular with everybody, though…
It was written in 1958, so it might contain somewhat old-fashioned language?

5 Likes

I’ve read that and liked it, but it does depend a bit on what your preferences in the genre are… (I won’t be voting for it, purely because I have already read it; it’s one of the top three famous books by the author I alluded to in my nomination of 湖底の光芒 :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize it’s the same author :woman_facepalming: I simply browsed my TBR pile and checked out some books that I suspected might be mystery novels, and that’s how this nomination came about :grin:
@cat if you think you have better nominations in stock, please feel free to drop this one!

2 Likes

I’ve read 点と線 as well, it’s much more of a procedural investigation to dismantle the culprit’s alibi than a whodunnit, and the ‘trick’ is probably not as impactful as when the book was first published.

5 Likes

We don’t absolutely need to fill every voting slot, of course; if there’s spaces left that means next round we don’t have to cull anything to make space for new books.

4 Likes

I have a nomination idea! :partying_face:

Book 満願 | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

死にたい人たちのあいだで、随分評判らしいのよ。

磨かれた文体と冴えわたる技巧。この短篇集は、もはや完璧としか言いようがない――。驚異のミステリー3冠を制覇した名作。

「もういいんです」人を殺めた女は控訴を取り下げ、静かに刑に服したが……。鮮やかな幕切れに真の動機が浮上する表題作をはじめ、恋人との復縁を望む主人公が訪れる「死人宿」、美しき中学生姉妹による官能と戦慄の「柘榴」、ビジネスマンが最悪の状況に直面する息詰まる傑作「万灯」他、「夜警」「関守」の全六篇を収録。史上初めての三冠を達成したミステリー短篇集の金字塔。山本周五郎賞受賞。

Summary - English

Among those who wish to die, it seems to be quite popular.

With polished writing and sharp craftsmanship, this collection of short stories is nothing short of perfection—a masterpiece that has conquered the astonishing triple crown of mysteries.

In the title piece, “It’s Fine Now,” a woman who has killed someone withdraws her appeal and quietly accepts her sentence, but… The true motive surfaces in a brilliant finale. The collection also includes “Dead Man’s Inn,” where the protagonist hopes to reconcile with their lover, the sensual and chilling “Pomegranate” by beautiful high school sisters, and the breathtaking masterpiece “Ten Thousand Lanterns,” where a businessman faces the worst situation, among others. A total of six stories, including “Night Watch” and “Gatekeeper,” make up this monument of a mystery short story collection that achieved the unprecedented triple crown. Winner of the Yamamoto Shugoro Prize.

Content warnings if known

I unfortunately don’t know, but I would suspect some of the usual tropes for mysteries such as murder are present.

Why are you nominating this book: I’ve seen this book around a lot and it has good reviews, so I thought I’d nominate it. It is also a short story collection, which is something different (and if one story is great or to everyone’s tastes, there are more stories.) :blush:

6 Likes

it has an audiobook as well. :eyes:

3 Likes

Done.

Definitely a bummer he seems to be opposed to ebooks, you’d think an author would want more readers.

It’s his most famous book and so I’ve left it in. Really comes down to how the vote goes. I don’t see any reason not to have two books by the same author on the list. If you feel strongly about this though I can remove it.

Added as well.

Also this seems as good a time as any to make a small announcement I’d been sitting on for a bit.

Starting with the next book there will be two changes to hopefully streamlines some bumps I’ve seen in this club and also in other clubs on the forum. Not necessarily recently (this past month or so has been a mess for me, so apologies to anyone in clubs I’m running :see_no_evil: ) but over the past year.

1. This is now officially an ‘Advanced’ club.
Finding a pace that works for everyone and having books of a level everyone can read leads to disappointment and a lot of polling to find comfort zones. I think having clearer ideas upfront of levels and speed will allow people to opt in or out before committing.

With that in mind, here are the rough guidelines going forward based partly on WK’s Advanced Book Club but also partly on what I have seen to largely work for this one.

1. Any level book 25+ is welcome to be nominated, as are unleveled books expected to be 25 or above.
  2. The club will read at a speed of approximately 30-60 pages with the higher page counts weighted toward the end of the schedule. 60 is a max, not a requirement.
  3. Unless the book sections are too difficult to cut appropriately, schedules will be made starting with fewer pages and ramping up in the last ~1/3 of the book.

A beginner/intermediate sister club is welcome, if anyone wants to spin one up. Feel free to overlap on levels - I expect the main difference would be speed and also having an upper (rather than lower) cap.

2. How nomination culling will be handled
What we’ve been doing up to this point is cutting any books that receive no votes. We’re starting to reach the number of voters where I worry about having a no cull cycle and only one spot opens. This can lead to a very stale list of choices. Going forward, we will cut down to 17 to allow for at least 3 new nominations each cycle, based on number of votes. This means:
20 nominations = 1 winner, 2 cut
19 nominations = 1 winner, 1 cut

However any books getting no votes will be cut so if we have, for example, 18 nominations and 1 book wins and 3 have no votes we’d drop down to 14 nominations.

As always, I’m open to hearing feedback and will wait a bit before putting this in the OP and making it ‘official’.
edit: After 12 days there have been no objections so I’ll add this to the OP.

12 Likes

It’s on Natively now (and I edited my nomination post to add it) : 湖底の光芒 | L35??

4 Likes

So do we vote for the next mystery club pick next week? (I’m hoping we can make the timing for physical book purchasing line up with the WK ABC, which has just started voting; plus I have some about-to-expire cdjapan points :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Yep, I’ll put up the vote next week (when Medium officially ends), it will run for one week, and there will be 2 weeks between the end of the vote and the opening of the first week thread.

7 Likes

Ah, thank you for the reminder; looks like I do as well…

5 Likes

that’s how bookwalker got me. :rofl:

1 Like

So double-checking my times here, the next book is slated to start Jan 29?

6 Likes

Yes, that’s correct.

5 Likes

It is time to cat looking at the word 'vote' bouncing !

The nomination list is here. You can vote for up to 5 choices. The poll will close in a week.

• 黒い森の記憶
  • 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う。
  • アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス 1
  • ノッキンオン・ロックドドア
  • 砂の家
  • 変な家
  • 白光
  • 名探偵は嘘をつかない
  • 私が大好きな小説家を殺すまで
  • 時空旅行者の砂時計
  • そして五人がいなくなる<名探偵夢水清志郎事件ノート>
  • 眼球堂の殺人 ~The Book~
  • 『クロック城』殺人事件
  • 黒蜥蜴
  • そして扉は閉ざされた
  • 悲嘆の門 (上)
  • 湖底の光芒
  • 点と線
  • 満願
  • シャドウ
0 voters
6 Likes

I’m pretty new to novels so I don’t know any of those. I will probably join in as long as its not something too above my level :smiley:

Anyway I voted for 4 that sound interesting :v:

7 Likes

There are some intriguing nominations! I remember reading reviews of a few on ho-ling no jikenbo which swung my votes a little :grin: I am not decided yet if I will join or not, it will depend on how much I like the winning book (my tsundoku pile[s] are getting out of hand…)

6 Likes

I only voted for books I already own and I still managed to use up all my votes :weary:

7 Likes

I voted in favor of books that have audiobooks (while also sounding interesting, of course) :smiley:

4 Likes