🕵️‍♀️ 推理小説読書会 📚 Mystery Novel Book Club 👮‍♂️ Preparing to read 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う!

Looking at the list, there seem to be 18 nominations, but one of them is the book we’re currently reading, so three more free slots?

As per WK book club practice, I think it might be useful to also keep a list of removed nominations (people might still want to look them up and either re-nominate them or read them on their own) and books read by the club (a total of one in a couple of weeks time for now!)

4 Likes

I actually had sorta planned something like that via the linking of the home threads in the main post.

My plan was basically to make something like this after we finished our first book:

Nomination List - Click here!
Link to voting results for Current Books
Home Thread for Current Book

Past book clubs!
Voting | Home Thread for X
Voting | Home Thread for Y

Would that work? It seems the simplest to me as it reduces the numbers of posts people have to go dig up on their own if it’s mostly consolidated in the top post.

edit: oh and good call out on 十角館の殺人 still being in the nomination list. I had missed that but it’s removed now.

4 Likes

Having everything linked in the OP like you have is very convenient, yes.
So you’re saying that instead of keeping a list of the removed nominations, there will be a link to all previous polls and people can see them there? That works too. In WK book clubs there’s a list of all removed nominations (with links to their nomination posts) listed under a details tag so that they don’t take up space. We don’t need to do it like that, of course, just using it as an example. The benefit of that is that it keeps all removed nominations in one place.

1 Like

Oh, I see what you’re saying. So having links also to books that got removed due to no votes? Hm, I’ll can do that. Although later as I have to prepare for work now :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s definitely nothing urgent :sweat_smile:
Just a nice thing to have after we’ve had a few runs and the removed nominations have increased to the point that we don’t remember what has already been nominated and what hasn’t.

3 Likes

I became aware of the author 北村 薫 from this post. I found and read the story referenced, and I quite liked the writing. According to Wikipedia, 'Kitamura is known as a writer of mysteries, and rather than the detective and crime stories of traditional mystery, his work mainly focuses on the logical resolution of more “ordinary” puzzles and questions encountered in everyday life. He is considered a pioneer of this style of mystery in Japan, called “everyday mystery” '.

I wanted to nominate either 夜の蝉, which won the 44th Mystery Writers of Japan Award in 1991 or ニッポン硬貨の謎, which won both the 6th Honkaku Mystery Award in 2006 and the 2006 Baka-Misu Award. Read Real Japanese, the book where I read his 百物語 story, has this to say about ニッポン硬貨の謎: ‘a marvelously wacky pastiche, complete with footnotes, that purports - as its subtitle, “Ellery Queen’s Last Case” suggests - to be a translation of the unpublished final work, set in Japan, of the celebrated pseudonymous mystery author and detective, Ellery Queen. This work was also given the Bakamisu prize, which might be translated as the “Are you kidding me!? Mystery Prize,” awarded annually to mysteries with the most mind-boggling, flabbergasting, or ridiculous plots or endings.’

As you see, it sounded like fun, and a good segue to our current reading which also is a homage to, among others, Ellery Queen. But alas, no ebook available, which at least for me, is a major problem. So instead, I thought I’d nominate a relay mystery where he participates, and which is available as an ebook. I tend to not prefer relay mysteries because obviously there can’t have been much careful planning behind the plot, but on the other hand they’re fun in their own way, and a good way to get to know multiple authors at once while still reading one novel instead of a collection of short stories.

3 Likes

Book: 吹雪の山荘 リレーミステリ | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

雪の舞う大晦日、山荘村で起こる殺人。
人気シリーズの名探偵たちの豪華競演で贈る、ここでしか読めない本格リレー・ミステリ!

雪の舞う大晦日、山荘村である清沢郷へそれぞれの思惑を胸に人々がやってきた。矢吹駆の痕跡を追うナディア・モガール。山荘村の管理人として出稼ぎに来ていた刈谷正雄。休暇を過ごすために訪れたブッキーこと《私》と、若竹七海。原稿執筆のためにカンヅメを計画している法月綸太郎。幽霊山荘のリサーチに来た、大学生・有栖川有栖。やがて新年へと日付が変わるころ、幽霊山荘を探索していたメンバーは首なし死体を発見する! 次々に不気味な事件が起こる中、彼らは真相を暴けるのか?

Summary - English

(automatic translation)
On a snowy New Year’s Eve, a murder takes place in a mountain villa village.
A full-fledged relay mystery that can only be read here, given by the gorgeous competition of the famous detectives of the popular series!

On the snowy New Year’s Eve, people came to Kiyosawa-go, a mountain villa village, with their own expectations in mind. Nadia Mogal who chases traces of Kakeru Yabuki. Masao Kariya, who came to work as a manager of a mountain villa village. Wakatake Nanami and “I”, a bookie, who came to spend a vacation. Rintaro Noritsuki is planning a kanzume for writing a manuscript. Arisu Arisugawa, a college student who came to research the haunted villa. When the date changes to the new year, the members who were exploring the haunted villa discover a headless corpse! As eerie incidents occur one after another, can they uncover the truth?

Content warnings if known

None known

Why are you nominating this book: See post above. I wanted to nominate something by 北村 薫, but that’s the only book where he participates that’s available in digital form. A relay mystery could be good fun and a way to get to know multiple authors. Here are the authors participating:
笠井潔, 岩崎正吾, 北村薫, 若竹七海, 法月綸太郎, 法月綸太郎, 巽昌章

5 Likes

Hey all, we have room for 2 more nominations (for a total of 20) if nothing on the list is catching your fancy. Please follow the nomination template from the top post if you wish to nominate a book.

:books: Nominations listed here :sparkles:

The first book club, 十角館の殺人, officially ends on October 10th* and I’ll be opening voting at that time. Because some club members prefer physical copies there will be a period of 2 weeks between voting close and the first thread opening. As such the schedule will look like this:

• October 10th - voting opens
  • October 17th - voting closes and winner announced
  • October 31st (Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: ) - first weekly thread for the chosen book is opened!

*You are absolutely still welcome to keep posting in those threads though if you’re reading at a different pace!

7 Likes

I just had a look at the books on my mystery shelf for potential nominations and レベル7 (セブン) | L29 caught my eye - but at 665 pages it’s quite the commitment.

Did we agree on a max page count or something like that? I admit I only checked the OP.
And then I went and had a scroll through. :crazy_face:

The topics been brought up before. So nothing’s stopping me! :smiling_imp:

(Unless, now that this first round has been completed, we want to add or change anything. Would also be totally fine. ^^)

5 Likes

If you’d like to officially nominate it you have only ~a day left. I’ll be opening the poll late this evening my time (so morning of October 10th for European timezones).

That one might be a good match for the WK Advanced Book club though. :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve thought about it. But with that club, I always have in the back of my mind the possibility of a shorter, more difficult book being chosen instead. The nominations are already skewed towards the longer, easier books. So I’d like to nominate it here for now - and if it gets dropped, I can still nominate it over there. :slight_smile:

Book: レベル7 (セブン) | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: No :cry:

Summary - Japanese

レベル7まで行ったら戻れない―。謎の言葉を残して失踪した女子高生。記憶を全て失って目覚めた若い男女の腕に浮かび上がった「Level7」の文字。少女の行方を探すカウンセラーと自分たちが何者なのかを調べる二人。二つの追跡行はやがて交錯し、思いもかけない凶悪な殺人事件へと導いていく。ツイストに次ぐツイスト、緊迫の四日間。気鋭のミステリー作家が放つ力作長編。

Summary - English

Once you get to level 7, you can’t go back. A high school girl disappeared, leaving behind mysterious words. The words “Level 7” appear on the arms of a young man and woman who wake up without all their memories. A counselor searches for the girl’s whereabouts and the two investigate who they are. The two pursuits eventually intersect, leading to an unexpected and heinous murder case. Twist after twist, four days of tension. A powerful full-length work by an up-and-coming mystery writer.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Not known

Why are you nominating this book: 宮部みゆき is a pretty prolific mystery writer - and I’ve been wanting to read something by her for a while. I acquired this one used and it’s been sitting on my shelf since. At 665 pages according to amazon (my paperbook version ends at page 768 :scream:) it’s a bit intimidating though! Reading together with a book club could be a great motivating force to get through it, and finish it. And have a monster of a book on our resumees! :grin:

3 Likes

Are you sure there’s an ebook? I can’t seem to find it.

3 Likes

Note: This nomination would take up the last slot in the upcoming poll. I have nominated enough books already, so please disregard it if someone else wants to nominate something in the few hours that remain until the poll opens. :slight_smile:

Book: テロリストのパラソル | L30??
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

ある土曜の朝、アル中のバーテン・島村は、新宿の公園で一日の最初のウイスキーを口にしていた。その時、公園に爆音が響き渡り、爆弾テロ事件が発生。死傷者五十人以上。島村は現場から逃げ出すが、指紋の付いたウイスキー瓶を残してしまう。テロの犠牲者の中には、二十二年も音信不通の大学時代の友人が含まれていた。島村は容疑者として追われながらも、事件の真相に迫ろうとする―。小説史上に燦然と輝く、唯一の乱歩賞&直木賞ダブル受賞作。

Summary - English

One Saturday morning, alcoholic bartender Shimamura had his first whiskey of the day in a park in Shinjuku. At that time, an explosion echoes through the park, and a terrorist bombing incident occurs. Over fifty casualties. Shimamura flees the scene, but he leaves behind a whiskey bottle with fingerprints on it. Among the victims of the terrorism was a college friend whom he had not heard from for twenty-two years. While being pursued as a suspect, Shimamura tries to get to the bottom of the case. The only work that has won both the Rampo Prize and the Naoki Prize, shining brilliantly in the history of novels. (automatic translation)

Terrorism and alcoholism, judging from the summary.

I was idly browsing the online bookstores and this caught my eye because it’s apparently the first book that has won both the Edogawa Ranpo Award (1995) and the Naoki Prize (1996). Reviews were generally good too, so I was intrigued. It is considered a hardboiled novel.

4 Likes

Ditto, I can only find options to be emailed a notification if an ebook becomes available :sweat_smile: I’ll note that an ebook version is not necessary to nominate, but it is likely to cut into the number of people who will vote for it as many people have a variety of reasons to stick exclusively or semi-exclusively to ebooks.

I have a pretty packed schedule through the end of the year @Belerith but if you want a informal 2023 book club the summary has me sold, and I’ve read two books by that author and enjoyed them.

As a note, unless you revoke your nomination I will keep it in the list for this evening.

1 Like

Oh no, you’re right… I didn’t check on Amazon and simply went by the natively info. I edited the edition info on natively. :cry:

Understandably so! It’s probably best to revoke it then, as you said. I try to avoid paying for shipping myself, so I wouldn’t want to put anyone into the position of having to decide between that and sitting out on a book club they’d rather join. (On the off chance it gets picked at all.) Should I delete the post containing the nomination?

I’d love to do an informal book club though! :heart_eyes: I’ll be looking forward to conquering the book with you and anyone else who may be in the mood.

3 Likes

No worries, I’ll just remember not to include it, haha. I’m about to go update the list to include the other nomination now.

Yay! I can see a few people joining - there are a handful of paperback lovers.

2 Likes

It is time to vote!

season 3 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

As a reminder, :arrow_right: NOMINATIONS ARE HERE :arrow_left:
ebooks typically have previews (立ち読み) so if the book is unrated and you’re unsure, or you just want to scope out the writing style, please make use of it! Keep in mind that a good deal of books are entered at 30 by default and some of the books with only one or two ratings can have pretty unstable ratings.

As with last time, you will have 5 votes in this poll, and any books to receive no votes will go in the Nomination Graveyard :headstone: They can be renominated, but please wait at least two voting cycles before reintroducing them.

As a quick reminder, the schedule is as follows:

• October 10th - voting opens
  • October 17th - voting closes and winner announced
  • October 31st (Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: ) - first weekly thread for the chosen book is opened!

Without further ado - the vote!

• 黒い森の記憶 | L30??
  • グラスホッパー | L35
  • 聖母 | L31
  • 柔らかな頬 上 | L30??
  • 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う。 | L30??
  • 体育館の殺人 | L30??
  • アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス 1 | L30??
  • ノッキンオン・ロックドドア | L28??
  • スマホを落としただけなのに 囚われの殺人鬼 | L28
  • 砂の家 | L30??
  • 変な家 | L27
  • 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 | L33??
  • 白光 | L30??
  • 模倣の殺意 | L30??
  • 名探偵は嘘をつかない | L38
  • 透明人間は密室に潜む | L30??
  • 私が大好きな小説家を殺すまで | L25??
  • 吹雪の山荘 リレーミステリ | L30??
  • テロリストのパラソル | L30??

0 voters

6 Likes

The suspense here is killing me. We’re a vote away from a tie break or a brand new four-way tie :popcorn: :joy: Might end up having a run off vote

6 Likes

We had ten more voters in the previous poll. If even half of them eventually appear, the poll results may still change completely. :popcorn: :eyes:

4 Likes