Please help seed the initial audiovisual database! (movies/tv shows/anime)

I watch all Japanese anime/movies in subs. This is a list of anime shows.

暁のヨナ

青の祓魔師

魔法少女育成計画

GTO

僕だけがいない街

半妖の夜叉姫

殺し愛

最遊記RELOAD

ニル・アドミラリの天秤

明治東亰恋伽

薄桜鬼 〜新選組奇譚〜

恋とプロデューサー~EVOL×LOVE~

神々の悪戯

ファントム イン ザ トワイライト

ダンス・ウィズ・デビルス

アムネシア

3 Likes

Do you have any approximate difficult rankings you could assign to each show?

2 Likes

Nope, I don’t feel I am at a high enough Japanese level to determine this hence why I didn’t put any rankings.

Ok! Well I’ll keep those shows in mind. The purpose of this thread is to get a base library with approximate grades, from which we can start to grade shows from.

At the very least, try to order the shows in order of difficulty.

If you’re not comfortable doing that, no worries! Let’s just hang onto those shows for later and request them after I implement the initial db :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Some rough estimates for some easy-ish anime:

Wataten - lvl 17 - w subs - WATATEN!: an Angel Flew Down to Me (TV Series 2019-2019) — The Movie Database (TMDB)
Go Princess Precure - lvl 18 - w subs - Go! Princess PreCure (TV Series 2015-2016) — The Movie Database (TMDB)
Flying Witch - lvl 19 - w subs - Flying Witch (TV Series 2016-2016) — The Movie Database (TMDB)
YuruYuri - lvl 19 - w subs - YuruYuri: Happy Go Lily (TV Series 2011-2015) — The Movie Database (TMDB)

6 Likes

My Japanese level is way too low to be able to do that. Maybe went I hit intermediate level someday I can attempt that then.

1 Like

Do you just watch without understanding much? If that’s the case you may want to consider watching with English subtitles (or your native language if you prefer) for the time being. While in the long run it’s surely better to watch with Japanese subtitles, and eventually no subtitles, in the short term you can learn (or at least reinforce) a lot of Japanese by watching with English subtitles. The reason being, your brain can make connections that you might otherwise miss with only Japanese subtitles. For example, you hear the word ほん without it clicking, but then when you see the word “book” in the subtitles it makes you go “ahh”, and your brain reinforces the connection between ほん and “book”. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

(I’m really bad about going on tangents in these topics, sorry about that!)

7 Likes

Having done quite a bit of this, I think you’re right it can help reinforce some types of vocabulary (sentence starters / enders, one word sentences, set phrases), but there’s a hard upper limit on the complexity of Japanese you’ll catch.

At least that’s been my experience. My mind just too quickly goes to look at the English sentence. I also watch at normal speed, which is too fast to catch most complex things.

But yes @MeowlyBenkyou if you’re comfortable sharing how you’re watching it’d be quite instructive… as I want to consider a lot of different watching habits. Are you watching jpn sub only? Maybe jpn sub w eng sub hidden… which you quickly unhide? Something else?

No pressure to share though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

奥様は、取り扱い注意 - ~JLPT N2 - w subs - Caution, Hazardous Wife
ケイ×ヤク −あぶない相棒 - ~JLPT N2+ (but with police jargon) - w subs - Kei x Yaku: Dangerous Partners
恋せぬふたり - JLPT N1+ - no subs - Koisenu Futari (this one I haven’t finished because it was too difficult without subs - some vocab I didn’t even know how to search for in the dictionary because there was no kanji and it was too difficult to parse)

4 Likes

If an Anime is adapted from Manga and the Manga has a Learnnatively entry, how about setting the initial level to that of the Manga entry?

If its adapted from a light novel then thats a different story ofcourse…

5 Likes

I just got reminded of that point by the conversation about the perceived difficulty of manga vs novel.
Considering that manga seem to be graded ~5 levels less than novels with a similar difficulty (in terms of pure text), if something is adapted from a novel/light novel without a manga adaptation, it could be fine to just take the difficulty of the novel - 5.

I haven’t watched much in Japanese, so I don’t have many points of comparison (in fact I only have one)

ガリレオシリーズ (series) | L32 would make the adaptation ~29, which feels appropriate (that’s about what I said)

For stuff adapted from manga:

LIAR GAME (series) | L27 sounds a tad too low for the series, but close enough, I guess. I would have said an (easy) N2, so more like 27, but 24 is not absurd (also, it’s a temporary grading, so not very trustworthy to begin with).

ハイキュー! (series) | L25 matches exactly my feeling

ボールルームへようこそ (series) | L25 I would have given it the same difficulty as ハイキュー, but close enough.

魔入りました!入間くん (series) | L27 also close to how I felt.

ノラガミ (series) | L27 is the only one that is significantly lower than my expectations. It might be that I’m just not familiar enough with the Shinto/spiritual vocabulary they use. I guess a word like 此岸 would not have tripped me up in written form thanks to knowing the kanji, but with just audio it’s a bit harder. There are also the incantations (?) spoken at full speed that I just gave up trying to understand (except for the final 斬!! because that was easy to guess).
(Actually, people are even asking about it so I guess it’s hard for everyone :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

Huh, I watch a ton and I don’t feel they’re too tightly related to be honest. A wide vocab in a spoken show, especially a fast spoken show, is much harder than the same in a book. The ones I submitted for the initial seed I evaluated individually and imo a TV show or movie should be evaluated separate from the media it came from. Sometimes they don’t follow the source material very well either :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree, but they don’t need to be very accurate. It’s just a way to get a temporary level for a bunch more shows than what we could do manually here :person_shrugging: That might be a problem if something ends up stabilized at a level far from its actual difficulty, but that’s when people will report it (the same way they have been doing with books).

2 Likes

Alright, I’m finally making the list… The anime within a group are just in alphabetical order, not ordered by difficulty. It’s also been a while since I’ve watched many of these (started watching anime with Japanese subs March of last year), so take these groupings with a grain of salt.

Very easy:

Easy:

Medium:

Hard:

• Bokurano (medium difficulty much of the time, but spikes in difficulty whenever there were scenes with government people or heavy sci-fi scenes)
  • Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (they talk very fast in this show)
  • Violet Evergarden (medium difficulty much of the time, but spikes in difficulty during military discussions)
9 Likes

First time posting and tbh. I’m really not sure if this is the right place to post the following question. Sorry in advance, if this is wrong.

Because you’re listing movies/shows/anime but not games - there are no plans atm. to integrate games into the website?

2 Likes

Not this year no. It’d be awesome and you aren’t the first one to ask but have to get movies nailed down first (which I’m working on) and a few other high priority initiatives. For more information, you can look at our new Trello board or look in the #natively:product-requests category for user upvoted initiatives.

Welcome to the site!!

2 Likes

haven’t watched a lot of stuff yet, and my level is still a bit low, but I’ll try to approximate the rankings:

Easiest to hardest:

しろくまカフェ - high N4 - w/subs - link
14才の母 - Could follow plot on mid-N4 but not understand everything - no subs - link
極主夫道 - could follow decently at high N4 - w/subs - tmdb: /tv/112160
約束のネバーランド - >N3, mostly because of the monster vocab and such - w/subs - tmdb: /tv/83097
ゴクドルズ - >N3 - w/subs - tmdb: tv/80613

Sorry, it only let me do two links as a new user, but left the TMDB numbers.

4 Likes

Sorry about that! I’ve whitelisted tmdb so you can post as many links as you want now. What you put already is totally fine though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I was visiting family for the obon break and kids watched それいけ!アンパンマン and that must be the easiest show to watch ever.
It always goes:
[Baikinman shows up] はーひふーへほー!
[Everyone] *gasp* バイキンマン!
[Optional, if Dokinchan is present] ドキンちゃんもいまーす!
[Baikinman does something bad, everybody screams, then cut to Anpanman patrolling and hearing said screams:] その声は?
[Rushes to the rescue] やめるんだ!バイキンマン!
[Baikinman] うるさーい!
[Anpanman] アンパンッシュ!
[Baikinman is ejected into low orbit or something] バイバイキーン!
[Optional, if Dokinchan] 待ってよ〜!

There’s also the extra thing if Baikinman manages to land a hit, incapacitating Anpanman until he gets a new head; there are also variations including the other heroes or villains, but very simple and recurring pattern. Well, it’s for young kids…

Overall, I’d say it’s around N4? Like level 15-19

5 Likes

It’s the opposite for me. Listening is much easier for modern movies. I have trouble with older movies though.

I have trouble understanding foreign movies dubbed in Japanese, all the talk sounds very unnatural and it irritates, so I usually give up.

1 Like