Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Is there a mechanism for saying “there’s also a full-furigana edition of this book available”? Specifically, セーラー服と機関銃 | L30 has a Tsubasa Bunko version, and as far as I can tell from reading the online previews and the page counts, they’re the same text (with full furigana and extra illustrations in the Tsubasa edition).

5 Likes

I’ve mostly just seen an extra link in the where to find section for that version of the book with a note saying it’s for the all-furigana edition.

3 Likes

FYI - User group 'muted categories' not updating members category notifications - bug - Discourse Meta

Hopefully they get back to me soon. There’s undoubtedly a way to do this, just not quite working correctly right now.

6 Likes

Yeah, I found almost all of them. There was one Akutagawa that is on aozora but not on amazon for some reason, at least not by itself except as an audiobook, and then there are three Oda Sakunosuke ones that aren’t on aozora yet, so I’ll have to remember to check back periodically. At least these ones aren’t a high priority rn. Thanks again for the help!

5 Likes

Thanks; I added extra links to セーラー服と機関銃 | L30 with note text and it seems to have come out OK.

@brandon in the where-to-find list, clicking on the boxed-N brings up a popup (“Natively recommends this provider!”), similarly the boxed-E (“eBook provider”), but there is none for the boxed-F – should this have a “full furigana” explanatory popup ?

4 Likes

PRODUCT UPDATE

Please read my new blog article on Natively Spanish & German, Amazon Auto Upload, End of Year Wrap! If you’ve been following this thread closely, not much new information, but we’re formally introducing the new languages.

We’ve made a lot of progress this year. We added Movies & TV Shows, 3 new languages, Content Tags, Favorites, Providers, not to mention starting a ton of new book clubs!

I can’t tell you all how appreciative I am of all your support, whether it be financial or contributing to the community. Thank you!! :smiling_face:

24 Likes

@seanblue and others - the forum categories should now be correct, I think I solved it. Meaning that if you do not have a language in your ‘target’ language on natively, then that forum category should be muted for you.

Example: If you are targeting Spanish & Japanese, German & Korean should be muted for you.

More Config Details

If you toggle something off and on (eg: you were doing german but now deleted that target language), we will not mute that category. We only ever mute categories that have never been configured, one way or the other.

If you are a curious soul that wants to unmute other languages you aren’t targeting, you can! Simply go to the categories page, scroll down to the bottom where you see ‘Muted’:
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 6.12.50 PM

Click into the category you want to unmute. On that category page, look at the upper right corner of the top bar and you should see a bell icon that allows you to configure
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 6.13.00 PM

And set your preferences.

You’ll also see that this does not impact subcategories. So for subcategories you’ll have to do them independently.

This process also works for muting :slight_smile:

Hack: A quick way to unmute an entire language is to toggle that language on and then off as a target language on Natively.

Hopefully, this makes the forums good to go for all these languages! :slight_smile:

Edit: And if your forum config still doesn’t look right, let me know!

4 Likes

Spanish is showing up in muted for me, but Spanish book clubs is still unmuted. :thinking:

eta: Just refreshed and now German is both muted and unmuted… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

For me, too, but I think that’s because I muted something in the German forum. :thinking:

nvm, on further checking, it seems to have automatically muted all categories that I have not read/interacted with before. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Ok! You should be all good. You’re activated for everything except Spanish… which seems accurate.

It looks like you had some issues too, yes. But it should now be fixed…

In general, there do seem to be a few issues. I’ll keep plugging and try to resolve them all. I think the main issue was how I initially constructed the Spanish & German language categories here on the forum… next time I’ll do better. :melting_face:

5 Likes

Everything is looking good on my end. :+1:

Edit: actually @brandon, I am seeing an issue. I saw that German was muted for me and went to un-mute it. But now it’s showing as both muted and un-unmuted, and only the muted version has categories.

3 Likes

You have to unmute the sub categories as well… I think I recommend simply toggling german as a ‘target language’ on natively if you want it fully enabled.

Also, I’ve managed to construct a database query which reveals all the inconsistencies. I will try to fix by tomorrow.

3 Likes

ok! I’ve reset everyone’s forum category settings according to their languages… so now it really should be good… I think.

Let me know if you’re still seeing issues.

Good news is that I think i’ve developed all the diagnostic tools & fixing utilities for these sorts of issues in the future. We’ll see :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just noticed that German and Spanish don’t have featured forum threads on the dashboard the way Korean does.

download (2)

2 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t decided if I like those featured topics. It is a little confusing as then it’s not totally ordered by last commented.

4 Likes

Everything looks good now! Thanks!

2 Likes

I think it’s useful, as you mentioned before that the language-specific threads kind of get drowned out by PR/Natively threads - as it is now, there aren’t any German threads in the recent topics on the dashboard. :slightly_frowning_face:

I don’t think the last commented thing is a big deal, it’s something people are used to on forums with pinned/featured threads.

3 Likes

Fair enough, added! I also added two for Japanese… we’ll see how people feel about that :thinking:

3 Likes

Reporting general but infrequent server errors across the site – the main issue for me seems to be generating my data export sheet (since I want to do a 2023 recap), which seems to error out. Most other pages seem to work with a reload or three, but I can’t get it to generate my data.

1 Like

whoops! Sorry, I forgot to do one thing on my last release, should be good now.

If you’ve been experiencing issues more than just in the last 5 mins, then that’s good to know.

1 Like