Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Yeah, I can confirm that. Subtitles are still better than nothing, but I really wish that there were more close captions in French content.

Also, for whoever was asking what cc are useful for, they can also be great for people with chronic fatigue or ADHD. It all comes down to personal preference, but for some people it really helps.

4 Likes

that is indeed correct. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Funnily enough I have ADHD and captions can make it harder for me to pay attention (specifically if the captions are on the screen for too long and I read it over and over and over). I’m in a vast minority as far as I can tell, and not a good reason to not have it as an option.

3 Likes

I have ADHD and I like regular subtitles but hate CC because they’re cluttered with stuff I don’t need. (I can hear the music and FX, I can hear how they’re saying it, I don’t need all that. What I need is what they’re saying because my brain’s refusing to process spoken sounds into words properly)

The one time I watched something on Netflix w JP subs, it was actually CC, and I hated it. I definitely missed stuff specifically bc I’m not fast enough at determining what’s extraneous and what’s the actual subs. It’s not quite as bad in EN since I’m much faster at reading, but I still don’t like it. Maybe if I were watching it muted, since they are specifically for when you can’t hear the audio at all, but if the sound’s on? No.

3 Likes

I’m also in the “I have ADHD and subtitles help”, in my case by providing something else to do (reading) while I’m listening. Otherwise my mind will just wander off.
That being said, it drives me crazy if they don’t match what is being said (so I’d rather have CC than subtitles, but I usually just not watch dubbed content, or without subtitles if I have to)

I can’t check right now, but I feel like on Netflix the info are presented in italics and subtitles in standard typeface. I may be misremembering, I haven’t watched anything in a long time.

1 Like

The annoying bug around custom tags generating activities is now fixed :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I’ll go ahead and close the PR then!

Thanks!

1 Like

Yaaay! Thank you Brandon! Time to go reorganize a tag 10 times in a row because I can’t decide what I want. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

The warning when you go to remove something from your library still says that it’ll be removed from any custom lists, but that should be custom tags now. Your lists are safe.

6 Likes

So maybe this happened with the latest Discourse update, maybe it happened before and I just didn’t notice - I used to be able to go to someone’s Natively profile by clicking on their forum icon; there would be a link there. I don’t see the link anymore, though, and I’m not sure how to search for someone easily on Nativley’s main site without it. :frowning:

7 Likes

This is fixed.

Yep, good catch. I had to disable it during the discourse issues. Will reimplement tomorrow.

In the meantime, you can always just use https://learnnatively.com/user/ + (username) to find their profile. I know not perfect :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

This is now fixed!

8 Likes

A couple of oddities regarding auto-generated where to find links:

When we come across things like this, should we just manually add the links? Or can the auto-generator be improved with some tweaks?

ETA: Doesn’t this symbol mean it opens in a new tab? Because it doesn’t do that in the add to lists pop-up… :sweat_drops:

download

2 Likes

Is it intended that the error page:

leads specifically to this post? Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion - #700 by brandon

3 Likes

Not sure if someone has already brought this up before, but I’ve noticed that when you select the text in reviews, even if you haven’t clicked to uncover the spoilers, they become visible. This happens in both light and dark mode.

3 Likes

Considering it’s around the post that said he made the link point to the forum, I think the message number was accidentally put in there when he copied the url :joy:

2 Likes

Will fix.

Hopefully it’s rare enough where it just makes sense to manually add. If it’s not rare, than we should address it.

Whoops! Fixed. Now it goes to the topic header.

Not sure if there’s a better behavior. I’m guessing the copy functionality of the browser simply copies everything not within HTML tags. If that’s the case, I would have to not render the text in the still blurred spoiler situation… but that’s problematic because I have to render the text (obfuscated) in order to know the length.

I think we’ll have to keep that functionality for now…

6 Likes

Okay, I’ll just manually add and keep an eye out for any other anomalies. :saluting_face:

Just out of interest, why would you select the text in reviews?

2 Likes

It seems to be dependent on browser. I just tried in light mode on my phone (Safari) and it kept spoilers hidden, and on my laptop (Brave, Edge, and Chrome) and it revealed them on all three.

1 Like

@brandon , is it possible to add a book with the cover from a translation? I wanted to add 2666, but the original Spanish version has a bunch of naked people on the cover for whatever reason. The translations on the other hand have more normal covers.

3 Likes