Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I think it should be fixed now! Let me know if it’s not

3 Likes

It is fixed for me, thanks.

Out of curiosity, what caused the issue? I find it odd that it was specific to so few users and different pages per user.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2024-02-24 at 12.48.56 PM

Good call, made it an icon. FYI it’s only seen on hover for desktop.

I’ve added a 0.2 second delay, which I do think helps a lot. I did put on a max heigh for extreme cases, but I don’t think it’ll make a big impact for you? I do want it big enough to give a healthy description.

Fixed this issue as well. TBH, I’m only showing the first 4 lines now on mobile, which I think is a reasonable compromise.

3 Likes

It was an issue for movies without any blurb / description from TMDB. That situation is quite rare and my handling for that situation was apparently broken.

4 Likes

It looks so sad and bare now :​( I suppose I’ll get used to it though, it’ll just take a bit

1 Like

Per this this request - Display level of book next to title in the global activity feed - i’ve tried to add the level to the activity feed, but i’m not sure of the styling of the interface. Let me know what you think in the poll below!

Levels in the Activity feed
  • I like it! Please add to the site
  • I like the idea, but I don’t like this styling
  • I don’t like this
0 voters
8 Likes

I don’t mind it like this, but I wonder if the level could go next to the book title instead?

Or maybe just don’t have it so close to the box’s edge.

3 Likes

Like this?

Unfortunately if I don’t put that level tag at the edge the box as in the original image, it looks stranger… the level tag seems kinda lost and not aligned.

2 Likes

Personally, I really like this version, and definitely prefer it to the previous one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright, new vote! Please vote on your preference for levels in the activities:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Level in Activities Feature
  • I like both versions
  • I like Version 1 (next to image)
  • I like Version 2 (in message)
  • I like the idea, but not the styling
  • I don’t like the idea
  • I don’t care!
0 voters
6 Likes

For the hover on mobile, summaries appear slightly cut on my phone.

For example here, in this sentence “하지만 엄마 아빠는 언제나 무척 바쁩니다.”, “언제나” completely disappears.

(I’m on an Android, on chrome)

I can confirm there’s some sort of censorship showing certain book items depending on the account and IP.

Some books appear with simple VPN, while others require me being logged out AND VPN, which sucks a lot.

2 Likes

I definitely prefer version 2, but I’d like to see a level for each book, so e.g. also for the graded ones.

Would it? Netflix has that functionality in their UI, and it doesn’t seem disruptive there. The only difference is their popup is centered, rather than appearing to the right/left (I think that’s actually more relevant to the disruptiveness).

Admittedly, Netflix follows the thumbnail-only approach, with very large thumbnails.

I’m not following. How does having translations address this? Are you saying the interaction would be hover over image → English translation of title is shown with other info (does that include the original JP title)?

The benefit to using Yomichan isn’t translation, it’s reading(s) + dictionary + kanji info (which yes you can piece into a translation). Particularly in this context, I don’t really care what かがみの孤城translates/localizes to, if I can’t even figure out how read the characters. Also how would untranslated works factor into this?

It’s fixed, thx :slight_smile:

I will just say that I think Netflix has a terrible UX, so I wouldn’t model anything on them. I find their card expansion thing to be really awkward.

2 Likes

That’s fair - they were just the first example I could find of a site with hoverable cards like that. I’m sure there’s better examples out there

Ok! As the inline levels seemed more popular, I went with Version 2!

I’m honestly not even sure how you are able to get them on your phone :sweat_smile:

It should be fixed now though? At least the width shouldn’t overflow the screen

Yeah I wasn’t sure how to do this cleanly on my initial take.

I think it’s very hard to do well and something I’m probably not inclined to spend time on. A hover over expander like Netflix is a bit different too than the fly out that we have… mainly because with the fly out you are explicitly not hovering over the fly out, whereas in the Netflix expander you are hovering over the expanded content.

If I were to allow you to move your cursor into the flyout, I have to be very certain you’re intending to move it into the fly out and not simply somewhere else. This is especially tricky for rows of images as the fly out is either on the left or right so you may just be moving your cursor to the next item. An expander solves that situation elegantly, but then again isn’t as flexible - you aren’t able to have an expander on text content, only image.

You’re welcome to open a product request though! But yeah it’s not a straightforward issue I don’t think, at least on first glance

3 Likes

I definitely prefer the way you have it. As I said, I already find them somewhat intrusive, but at least they don’t interfere with the rest of the UI, just block it visibly. If moving the cursor over the flyout kept the flyout open it would become even harder to navigate the page.

2 Likes

Android: Just put your browser in desktop mode, long press, back out of the pop-up menu.

Btw is it intentional that I’m Watching/Reading on the dashboard doesn’t have the hover functionality?

I see your point re: the difficulty implementing. I’ve had that issue with nav menus before, now that I think about it. I think I’ll let it rest for now.

Just curious though, why wouldn’t an expander work on text? At the very least, you could put the ::hover property in the css (or js?) on the parent element, and it would cover both, no?

1 Like