Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

In full U+1234 U+5678 format

3 Likes

I’m not quite following. Can you give me an example?

The URL for 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う 🐺 Home Thread 🔪 is simply https://forums.learnnatively.com/t/home-thread/7751. Very non-specific.

The URL for きらきらひかる (Profoundly Weird Book Club) is https://forums.learnnatively.com/t/profoundly-weird-book-club/5064. Wrong meaning.

I think that’s more of a Discourse limitation than anything else.

1 Like

WaniKani Community uses percent-encoding, so preserving unicode characters when decoded. However, it’s not readable by default.

A possible solution I thought about is using Japanese segmentation.

$ sudachi -a
赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う wolf Home Thread hocho
赤      名詞,普通名詞,一般,*,*,*        赤      赤      アカ    0       [17550]
ずきん  副詞,*,*,*,*,*  ずきん  ずきん  ズキン  0       []
、      補助記号,読点,*,*,*,*   、      、      、      0       []
旅の途中で      名詞,固有名詞,一般,*,*,*        旅の途中で      旅の途中で      タビノトチュウデ        0       []
死体    名詞,普通名詞,一般,*,*,*        死体    死体    シタイ  0       [24863]
と      助詞,格助詞,*,*,*,*     と      と      ト      0       []
出会う  動詞,一般,*,*,五段-ワア行,連体形-一般   出会う  出会う  デアウ  0       []
        空白,*,*,*,*,*                  キゴウ  0       []
wolf    名詞,固有名詞,人名,一般,*,*     Wolf    Wolf    ウォルフ        0       [20699]
Home    名詞,普通名詞,一般,*,*,*        ホーム  home    ホーム  0       [14167]
Thread  名詞,普通名詞,一般,*,*,*        スレッド        Thread  スレッド        0       [412]
hocho   名詞,普通名詞,一般,*,*,*        hocho   hocho   hocho   -1      []      (OOV)
EOS

So aka-zukin-tabinotochuude-shitai-to-deau-wolf-home-thread-hocho

I wonder if they changed the code or is a non-default setting.

The fact is that you can put anything between the /t/ and the post number, as it’s just a SEO thing

https://forums.learnnatively.com/t/megumin-is-best-girl/5064

This will still work and load the proper preview:

Edit:

Seems like @seanblue went through the discourse URL shenanigans in the past:

So it could be a mix of a setting not enabled in Discourse and/or a web server configuration limitation.

4 Likes

You sure about that? :rofl:

5 Likes

casts explosion

Shame @biblio had a terrible accident before completing the 2024 bingo.

6 Likes

@polv @Megumin So I’ve switched the url generation to include japanese letters.

See 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う 🐺 Home Thread 🔪

However, the sharing of the url now gets very long… which honestly makes me a bit hesitant to do this :thinking:. Although it’s probably better for SEO, slightly.

(ex link: %E8%B5%A4%E3%81%9A%E3%81%8D%E3%82%93%E3%80%81%E6%97%85%E3%81%AE%E9%80%94%E4%B8%AD%E3%81%A7%E6%AD%BB%E4%BD%93%E3%81%A8%E5%87%BA%E4%BC%9A%E3%81%86-home-thread/7751?u=brandon").

What do we think?

Should we show Japanese characters in forum thread urls?
  • Yes. Even though it makes sharing the url slightly harder. It’s pretty.
  • No. While it looks better, I don’t like the long copied url.
  • I don’t care!
0 voters
2 Likes

I think until browsers handle these things more gracefully is better without IMHO.

1 Like

I would actually prefer all of these texts to just be replaced by “x” :sweat_smile:
That would save me from replacing them manually each time I want to put a link somewhere :grin:

8 Likes

Ok! I’ve decided to revert it back to ascii only.

@nikoru hmm, interesting. Unfortunately, since there are other languages, I think it’s slightly different for Japanese. I guess we could do another poll :thinking:

2 Likes

I usually do that with amazon links, but I even strip the ascii, just leave the dp/ASIN lol.

I’m saving a lot of bytes of information!

3 Likes

Yeah I always strip them to the shortest format possible. Good to know about url bit here being for SEO purposes

1 Like

Would it be impossible to implement @polv ’s suggestion? If I understand it right, it would change the url to make something like ワンピース book club read like wanpi-su-book-club

chart-y kind of q, is there a way to create a page tracking chart even when you don’t time your reads? i would like to track I read X pages on Y day over time until a book is completed (or i guess more pedantically I logged X pages, here’s the amount on the progress bar this went as percentage, eg).

… reading that back I think I will probably need to scribble down a visualisation or something to make that ramble make any sense.

2 Likes

You need to change/add the functionality to discourse source, makes the URLs probably extremely long, and being a romanization it probably hurts SEO.

Also it would need to distinguish between different languages.

1 Like

You meant to reply to DIO-Berry, I think?

4 Likes

Ah yes, lately I’m spacing out too much, I’m starting to worry :fearful:

3 Likes

This only matters when clicking the Share button, which doesn’t show the URL in text, but immediately copy to clipboard.

It might be better if the URL in the address bar is the unicode one, since it will be normalized to Japanese / Korean, etc, anyway. While when copying (click Share), being replaced by /x/ might be the best. Shorter is better.

Probably, as a copied text, https://community.wanikani.com/t/x/19926/1040 is the best.

(Note that emoji is being clipped away, but that probably doesn’t really matter.)

2 Likes