Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Doesn’t that depend on the accuracy and precision of the data, how far apart the automatically graded books are in perceived grade and how big the contradiction is?
E.g. a user has five books he perceived as A<B<C<D<E, the user has filled in everything but A<E. Since the distance in grade should be fairly large relative to noise, automatically grading shouldn’t propagate error, but mistakingly grading A ≈ E would introduce new error.
I wonder if the same could be said about the C>B>A example, since having an entire book between C and A might already be enough that noise doesn’t impact C>A. Would be interesting to see the math on this :thinking:

It does seem intuitive though that for books that are fairly close in perceived grade having redundant information would reduce the impact of noise.

1 Like

Potentially! Maybe longer links could resolve things, but the longer the links you require, the more complicated it would be to calculate (i think) and also the less beneficial it’d be.

TBH, I’d probably be more inclined to surface inconsistencies to users first or try to make a personal difficulty ordering, purely for personal evaluation before having it impact actual gradings generated. Prioritizing the display of inconsistencies first would make the situation a lot more clear :slight_smile:

But, yeah like I said, users seem happy to finish their gradings so probably won’t do for a while… as it’s simpler for evaluation and for an algorithm :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure if this is just my browser, but if you update the reading percentage for a book from your dashboard, it looks like you need to refresh the page again after the popup closes out for it to actually show the percentage on the dashboard.

I’m on Chrome 104.0.5112.102 (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Does anyone else see this same behavior?

I can’t reproduce with Firefox.

Are you adding times?

Hey, thanks for the site and all its functionalities. It’s really useful, I’m finding tons of stuff at my level and reading them confirms the sites rating’s are pretty accurate!

One question, is there a way to filter series by length? I like to read manga so I would like to search like “N3 level between 5 and 10 volumes” or something.

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s a way right now, but that sounds pretty useful! I made a similar feature request if you want to upvote that. If you want specifically a filter and not sorting as I suggested, you might need to make a new request.

Nope, just adding pages. I don’t track time.

Also just tried again on both Firefox and Chrome and it seems to work just fine without refreshing, so maybe was a one-time weirdness with Chrome or something…

It could have been a network timeout or something like that.

@deliana Yes perhaps @Megumin is right and its a one time issue, hmm. Let me know if it happens again!

Yes that would be nice! I think @seanblue’s request would hopefully solve your issue too.

And I’m so happy you’re enjoying the site! :slight_smile:

Here is an interesting example of the difficulty ratings:

Both manga are by the same author, set in the same universe. Same type of content, just focusing on other characters.

Ideally they should have the same difficulty ratings. But at the moment the first is at 22, the second (only rated by me) is at 17. I’m not sure why. But natively gave me pretty few comparisons. Maybe the website railroads too much towards a given difficultly level by the comparisons it asks for.

Some problems I tend to have with ratings include being asked to compare works I don’t remember very well anymore, A is easier than B on content but I it as harder because it doesn’t have furigana, me disagreeing with some ratings (I generally thing Flying Witch is much harder than natively thinks).

Maybe flying Witch is at fault here. I rated the manga as easier than flying witch.

3 Likes

Huh? Is this a new feature?

Hadn’t seen a favorite graded reader section before!

1 Like

No it’s always been there, if you’ve reviewed some graded readers ^^

Yes its not perfect :confused:. This can happen but the hope here is that it’s not just dependent on one comparison (such as Flying Witch). Looking at your grades, the level does seem pretty internally consistent. Its just ゆるゆり might be graded harder than you expect?

You can always skip if you don’t feel comfortable judging the difficulty of a book you read a while ago.

The system isn’t perfect and at some point would love to improve, but it’s not terribly straightforward. Thankfully, more gradings usually always fixes the issue.

1 Like

I know it’s possible for each book in a series to have it’s own difficulty (I believe that’s the case for Harry Potter).

Would it be possible to do the reverse and link or merge yuru yuri and oumuroke?

I do think flying witch gets much harder. Both because of the discussions about magic and the witch association. But I don’t think a separate grade for each volume would be practical.

Maybe I should grade the difficulty for the first volume instead of the whole series?

1 Like

I don’t think it makes sense to link them if they are truly different series. I know it’s not ideal, but it should eventually resolve itself… and you are only one person’s opinion. And even if they were merged, would it be more appropriate to be lvl 22 or lvl 17?

Interesting. I’ve read the first 3 volumes but I didn’t really notice much change in difficulty… granted there wasn’t much magic. Yes, we do prompt you to grade the first volume normally, unless you click the grade button directly on a particular volumes page (i think) :slight_smile:

Might be a silly question, but I haven’t seen it done for any Novels yet, soo… are we allowed to add audiobook links to the “Where to find” section of novels? :thinking:
Personally I really like having them available, but sometimes finding them is a bit of a pain because the exclusives are spread across different sites, they aren’t linked on Amazon because there are different versions of the novel and what not.
Sometimes happens that I’ll decide to put some book off for later because there is no audiobook and I have plenty things to read still, even though there was actually one available… :flushed:

1 Like

You certainly can! I’m not sure if I have support for audiobook.jp yet… but you can absolutely add them, it’d help.

Granted, crowdsourcing these activities will only provide so much coverage, eventually if I get around to it, maybe we could get better coverage.

Between trying to laser focus on the massive task of movies & some weddings I’ve had to go to… the smaller ticket items have unfortunately gone by the wayside for now.

4 Likes

As in them just showing up in the list as links?
If so, it seems that neither ListenGo nor audiobook.jp are supported yet :thinking:

Oh no, just so that the links just show titles rather than the whole url.

You can add any sort of url, but there are certain url formats I support and automatically title them ‘Amazon JP’ or ‘BookWalker’ and don’t list the whole url.

So go ahead and add ListenGo or audiobook.jp… they just may show the entire url, which is fine.

2 Likes

A quick question for @brandon . Is the information of the date of publication scrapped and stored somewhere internally?

I think it would be useful to know when the books have been published, specially for the following cases:

• Series has been in a hiatus for a long time or if it has been previously in one.
  • Getting a rough idea of how long it takes between volumes to be published.
  • How hard might be able to find print/digital versions of them.

Want to know this before creating a feature request.

3 Likes

Unfortunately no. We can scrape the edition date from amazon, but as you might imagine, that greatly depends on the edition we have. We do usually have all the editions listed on the amazon page linked (so that means we might have the kindle + audiobook + tankobon + comic versions)… but new editions aren’t handled well.

Can certainly send in the request!

2 Likes