Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

The exact opposite of the expected behavior of a rating system I think. :joy:

Well hopefully someone responds here about how they have a PhD in graph theory and want to help. :smile:

2 Likes

You can study some data analyst / data scientist PhD books in Japanese, and that’s two birds with one stone! :rofl:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Maybe there’s a way to hold highly oscillating books without changing the algorithm if it’s already producing satisfying results?

I did spend several days last year reading Japanese Wikipedia pages on math. This seems like the natural next step!

4 Likes

Here’s one that is not copyrighted (Creative Commons license, see page 3)

http://www.kunitomo-lab.sakura.ne.jp/2021-3-3Open(S).pdf

2 Likes

Elo has some limitations due to being designed to be able to be calculated by hand in a time when computers were less common place.

Most chess sites etc, use improvements like Glicko-2 instead. Which to my knowledge adds:

• ratings becoming more stable the more comparisons are added.
  • ratings slowly becoming more volatile again over time if no new comparisons are added.

Although I don’t know whether the latter bit makes sense for Natively. (I don’t think large amounts of Elo drift over time are particularly common.)

Might be worth looking into.

5 Likes

Hey @brandon, per my comment here, I no longer think 僕が愛したすべての君へ | L30 and 君を愛したひとりの僕へ | L30 should be listed as a series. I think they should be split into separate entries, maybe with a note saying they are related to each other. This would match Amazon and AniList (for the upcoming anime adaptions), which also list them individually. Now that I’ve finished both books, I can say for sure that the order I originally suggested is definitely not the “right” order to read them in. If either is “right”, it’s the opposite, simply based on the chapter structure. But in the end I think they are more like parallel stories that can be enjoyed in either order, and which order is better will probably depend on the person.

4 Likes

Noted and thanks!

I’ve now split them (1, 2) and erased the first book gradings from affecting the second book. I’ve set the second book at a temporary lvl 30 :slight_smile:

I’m not too worried about showing the relations if it’s simply the same universe - they are easily viewable if you search by author.

3 Likes

Well, at the very least they are from the same multiverse. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll try to add reviews to both of them, so I’ll mention that they are related there.

2 Likes

They still appear as a series in my library. Will that fix itself at some point, or do you have to fix that manually?

EDIT: It’s fixed now

EDIT 2: But I can’t grade the second book for some reason.

1 Like

Specific to this forum (Discourse) can I ask that allow user locale and set locale from accept language header be enabled? It does not currently seem to be. Basically I’d like the languages Discourse is already available in to be auto-translated into several languages and it looks like there is functionality to automatically pick up user language (here - scroll to bottom it’s a long thread).

It looks like this when enabled, fwiw:

6 Likes

Tagging you @brandon, in can you didn’t notice this.

1 Like

Sorry about that - should appear now! When I broke them apart I forgot to do something for your personal grading data (you needed the your grading status of that book updated), thanks for catching.

Ok updated!

Apologies I didn’t get back to these messages until today, busy weekend :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Funny side effect

5 Likes

Interesting. I see レギュラー for you and Regular for me. :thinking: I’m surprised your (?) language settings affect my display.

4 Likes

Well, it’s flair stuff so I guess it made sense to some extent.

Another thing would be custom titles.

Sounds like a bug :joy:

2 Likes

Or it could be a Feature™

7 Likes

Would it be possible to merge the different versions of 星の王子さま?

The gradings are all pretty different right now, and I don’t see any explanatory text on any of the individual book pages as to why they’d need to be split off.

2 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a system in place to only merge the gradings right now, but merging the books I think it would not be a good idea, as they have different formats/pages.

3 Likes

They have different translators so they may indeed be different difficulty levels. Different kanji usage and/or furigana is possible as well

Edit: I think I asked Brandon about this in the past, although maybe for a different book and it came down to there being different translations

5 Likes