Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Pretty cool, right?

Latin as well. I used to have a link somewhere where the translator for the ancient Greek version talked about their process; let me see if I can find it…

5 Likes

The spells must seem very natural in there

6 Likes

Ah here we are; it’s all very neat stuff: Harry Potter in Ancient Greek (The Classics Pages).

Edit: Oh no, the Latin HP translator passed away a couple years back. :frowning:

1 Like

So that means no toki pona :melting_face::joy:

1 Like

Looks like toki pona’s creator has already translated The Wizard of Oz into the language, so it’s only a matter of time.

2 Likes

I might just seriously go back to toki pona then. That way, if someone asks me if I’ve read The Wizard of Oz, I’ll be able to answer that I’ve only read the toki pona version!

3 Likes

If we added toki pona, the Natively books database wouldn’t have to be too big!

Edit: in other news - @eefara showing those flags in the dropdown is way harder than I expected, may leave for the time being… I’m assuming you see things like that pretty often? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’d be great actually! Currently, while there are very few toki pona books, there isn’t a database for them.

1 Like

It’s all good with me if you leave them as-is; I didn’t even notice that something was wrong at the time.

3 Likes

Is there a reason I have to choose GB for English? I know American English, not British English. :sweat_smile:

goes investigating

Wait wait, are you using country codes instead of language codes!?

1 Like

He’s using the flags, but not all systems show them and thus display the country codes instead

1 Like

Huh… okay so I guess for languages natively used in multiple countries it’s just arbitrary?

1 Like

I’m assuming the originating country but idk

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t mean arbitrary arbitrary, just couldn’t think of another way to phrase it. It will just bug me having the British flag on my profile. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It feels weird selecting “English” as native, when it’s not, just to not get it on the Learning status.

Can we have a have a known level - not learning status?

6 Likes

omg thanks for thinking of me @eefara <3 I’ve added Irish + my other languages

3 Likes

Other small think I noticed while looking at user profile languages @brandon (using meagstudies here as an example): hovering over a flag to show the language pop-up only works if you put your mouse directly on the UN text, instead of for the whole flag itself:

5 Likes

I didn’t really want to mess with specifying language levels as there are some UI challenges I’d have to figure out.

Is there some better term than ‘status’ and ‘learning’? Would ‘foreign’ be better?

I honestly was just struggling with terminology here… and felt silly to implement the ‘level’ feature because I couldn’t think of the right term. :sweat_smile:

Ah, that is a good reason why having the unicode flags in the dropdowns could be confusing. May need to get rid of it. Why windows?!?!

(apparently they’re concerned about politics… even though every major tech company does flags :roll_eyes:)

I think its mostly just windows + chrome. Firefox specifically fills them in for windows systems.

Yeah this is a common complaint against flags. I’d say it’s a bit more heated for countries that may have a more troubled relation with the host country (Latin America & Spain).

It’s just so sad not to have flags. I love flags.

5 Likes

You could always have separate options for different versions of languages to display the “right” flag, but probably not worth it… especially if Windows + Chrome (probably the most popular combination) doesn’t support rendering the flags anyway. You should get some simple art commissioned for all the (supported) languages to make it super cool and unique to Natively. :joy:

Off topic

This youtube video was made for you (no link previews in details sections unfortunately).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w6808wJcU

You could use “native/fluent” as one label so you don’t have to differentiate. If necessary add a tiny footer note underneath the section to explain that “native/fluent” means no gradings or whatever else is different. It will make it slightly odd for people like @Naphthalene who are basically fluent in Japanese but probably still want to grade things, but maybe it’s good enough?

By the way, what does “non-main” mean? I find that confusing but since I don’t know what you intended I can’t make a recommendation.

5 Likes

Merging Native and fluent does make the design simpler, but at the same time you are preventing people who (by definition) are using the language a lot from helping with the grading system. I think I can still judge if one thing is harder than another, while natives I asked have been consistently terrible at it.

That being said, I don’t really mind either way.

4 Likes