Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Ok everyone, after discussion with @Megumin I think we’ll move away from using ‘votes’ and just switch to ‘likes’. Is that ok?

@Naphthalene I agree that the voting system would work, but @seanblue & @onigiristudies are right that the backlog will become a bit overwhelming and we’re trying to use the category to showcase popularity… which I think tactical voting doesn’t really showcase.

If we were going to be implementing them all very quickly and keeping a small backlog, I think voting would be the way to go.

Ok?

Edit: We cannot use likes apparently as you can only sort by total likes in a thread, not votes. Accordingly i’ve upped the vote count.

8 Likes

Even if you move to unlimited voting, I’d still retain the voting system over the likes, as it allows you to sort by votes in the forum subcategory, and also allows you to keep track in another place of what you have voted.

3 Likes

Ugh, it looks like we can’t really do by likes either as it counts all likes in a thread, not just the topic post likes.

Yes I guess we should just extend the voting system. I’ve upped the number of votes for each user type. Should be more than enough for now.

5 Likes

I don’t suppose it would be possible to create an entirely separate sub-forum for the product requests, would it? We probably already have as many as regular threads now, and it feels like the main forum’s getting clogged up with them. :X

1 Like

They are already in one.

While I think the clogging will eventually calm down, you can go ahead and mute the Product Requests - Natively Forums subcategory.

3 Likes

Oh, huh. I was looking to see if I could find that tag, but it doesn’t show up for me normally:

How do you normally find it? Just by clicking on the Product Request category on a thread?

I don’t necessarily want to mute them in the long run is the thing, though. I’d still like to be aware of natively update requests, I just don’t want to see 2/3rds of the main page be devoted to these. I could always visit the Trello, of course, but I couldn’t add to the discussion there.

See, that part I’m not so sure about. See all the replies to Brandon where talking about one feature request reminds two users of three other things they want. And if we create a thread for each one… Improvements and change is a never-ending track.

1 Like

Try looking here:
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 11.21.20 AM

3 Likes

Ah, I do see it there. Thanks!

2 Likes

In the front page, if you click on categories it also shows, under the Natively category, there’s the product requests subcategory:

After muting it will get split, and you will only see messages in that muted category where you have some interaction or have manually selected for tracking.

1 Like

Wait, wait. I didn’t realize you could switch to that view. Wanikani defaults to that view and Natively doesn’t, so I didn’t realize you could actively switch to it. :thinking: For those in the same boat as me, for me Natively defaults to showing latest posts, but if you click the Categories button at the top:

You get what Megumin is seeing, which is far better imo. Everything’s nice and separated now, even without having to mute anything. Is this a setting I need to change in my profile settings? :thinking: Okay, this has solved my issue; thank you @Megumin!

Edit: It is indeed a setting:

Thank goodness. I’m getting away from Latest asap.

4 Likes

I suggested Brandon to switch to that view by default, but it was probably missed in the sea of requests.

Part of the reason why we started that subcategory for tracking, to avoid this from happening.

Glad that solved it for you!

3 Likes

Now that the #natively category is being flooded with topics from the #natively:product-requests subcategory, would it make sense to pin this topic?

3 Likes

Now defaulting to category page. I agree it’s better :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is there an option to block people on here? Specifically, blocking yourself from seeing them and their messages and vice versa?

There is! If you go to that user’s page (for instance by clicking on their icon to get a pop-up, then clicking on their name or icon again), you will see your status for them (“normal” by default). That’s a drop down menu that allows to mute them (you don’t get notifications from their activities but can still see their posts) or ignore them (so you won’t get notifications nor see their posts).

I know that that’s there; that’s why I specifically asked Brandon and specified both things that I’m looking for. I don’t just won’t to see their posts:

I want to know if there is an option to not allow a user to see my stuff as well. I want absolutely no interaction whatsoever.

Ah, sorry, I missed that part. In that case, I’m afraid I don’t know.

1 Like

because, as of rn, I’m assuming that anything I post can still be seen by the other person and that’s not the same as blocking. Instead, that’s just letting yourself get bullied without being able to see it because all of their stuff is hidden for you and not viceversa.

1 Like

I see what you mean.
I was just checking the forum of the team that develops Discourse (the software of this forum) and they are having a heated discussion about that very feature (whether it’s necessary to implement or not), not unlike some recent exchanges about features on our own forum, haha :sweat_smile:
Sadly, the conclusion from the team seems to be that they won’t implement it. :frowning:

2 Likes