Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

The badges system seems like a great incentive to keep people active and engaged in the forums! I’m interested in seeing what badges pop up and if there’s just anything randomly fun in there. And a great way to make these easier on mods, since you can actually earn a badge for flagging a post.

On another note–I cannot figure out the autobiographer badge for the life of me. I’ve edited my profile, but I think I’m missing something.

3 Likes

So you can’t edit your discourse profile much because I automatically sync your natively profile to your discourse profile… which isn’t always the case for discourse (discourse is the forum software i’m using). I originally was worried that the formatting for your bio from your natively account wouldn’t work for discourse so I didn’t sync… but I just changed that so they sync the bio now. Perhaps you now got that badge? If not, then it may not be possible with the current setup.

2 Likes

ohh, I thought it was me because I noticed that when I hover on my profile pic now, my little background photo comes up. I don’t think I’ve ever used discourse, so I haven’t a clue about it. I’ve used disqus and maybe something else? :face_with_monocle: but profile setups sometimes really aren’t my thing lol. I normally manage to miss a button or something.

3 Likes

You’ll now see a ‘Natively Profile: ’ on forum user cards and profiles:

I think I want to make this more prominent (replace the smaller ‘bbo’ underneath the larger username ‘bbo’), however, it wasn’t exactly apparent how to override that functionality there. I’ll have to investigate more.

I just tried this and it does work? ひとり暮らしの小学生 (1) | L22 … however it is a little wordy as my titles are a bit wordy. You just have to make sure to paste the url and hit space.

Lastly, I’ve added your background profile photos from your Natively profiles. However, I did not override the card background (the little popups when you click a user’s avatar). I find it makes things less readable, but you can change this under your Preferences → Profile → User Card Background setting.

You’ll also notice that you get a cookie consent form on the forums :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I only see the natively link on my own profile.

I used the link format like:

[some url](https://some url)

Instead of just inserting the url, which is way it didn’t work for me before. I’ll be sure not to do that in the future.

2 Likes

Oh apologies! I guess there was a permissions issue that I didn’t notice. Should be good now!

2 Likes

Ok! So after a bit of research and thinking, I’ve cleaned up the titles for the website so that inline autoconversion for links should be much better:

test 1: 新訳 ふしぎの国のアリス | L27
test 2: チーズスイートホーム 1 | L15
test 3: ハピネス 10 | L16

3 Likes

What’s the current time set allowed for us to edit our posts here @brandon? I was just checking out the currently reading thread and noticed a typo in my post; I went to edit it, but the option’s not available. The post is only two days old, which I thought was pretty young, so I wanted to ask.

2 Likes

I’ve changed the setting so that you can now edit whenever. Discourse is quite proactive in spam prevention… to the point of nuttiness in my opinion haha.

There’s a whole edit history so nothing goes unrecorded, seems pretty aggressive to prevent post edits in that case. In any case, go for it now!

2 Likes

What is the post limit for new users? I got the message saying that I had met the limit, but it didn’t say how many posts the limit is.

2 Likes

Oh, so I’m the only weird one sorting by difficulty? :joy: I tend to filter out the ungraded books when I do that by the way, since they are pretty noisy when sorting by difficulty.

If you’re referred to pinned topics, then you probably want to change this setting.

I could not agree more (as @brandon already knows haha). I feel very strongly that external links should pretty much always open in a new tab. Maybe a user setting is warranted (which is what Discourse does by the way).

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If @brandon hasn’t changed the default settings too much, going from Basic to Member (at which point there’s no limit) takes very little time.

I’m likely the resident Discourse expert, since I’ve been participating on the WaniKani Discourse forums for several years now and have reported many a bug to the Discourse devs.

Will this resync automatically? I didn’t like the way the banner appeared here so I deleted it, but want to make sure it won’t come back.

4 Likes

Ah! So this appears to be a ‘first day’ limit, not a trust level issue as far as I can tell. You only get 10 replies your first day. I’ve bumped up to 15, seems like a reasonable limit for now.

3 Likes

No, you’re not the only one, but obviously the default ordering is most common :slight_smile:. I’d love to make ‘exclude temporary ratings’ default and only remove that when doing a text search, but that also is somewhat complicated.

I don’t particularly like the any solution here to be honest, but I don’t think it’s good to limit the library for this issue. I don’t know! :man_shrugging:

:+1:

Oh shoot… yes it will come back if you edit your profile details (I think). :confused:

I’ve now turned off that override setting, so you should be good. I don’t want people have substantially different profiles between the forums & main site, but profile background I’m not worried about.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, if you update your main site background it won’t update your forum profile background. Hmm. I could have it force override only if you change your background image?

2 Likes

Honestly, it all looks pretty bad in the user card. For example, it takes my nice bullet point list and awkwardly inlines everything.

I have a thought for the forums, to diferentiate them visually from the main site. By that I mean, the large rectangular logo, the small square logo, and the favicon. The main issue I have is that the favicon is the same as the main site, so I can’t tell at a glance which site an open tab is for. The logos are fine, though the large logo (mobile version at least) is a bit awkward on dark theme since it’s primarily white. I’d recommend reusing the logo you have on the footer of the site for the favicon and the small square logo. If possible you should reuse it for the large rectangular logo as well, or maybe get a modified version made for those proportions. I think that will give more of a “community” feel compared to the plainer logos.

6 Likes

Fair enough. It is just a bit awkward to have two profiles. I’m not entirely sure of the best solution, I’ll think on it.

Again, it could be a user preference whether to sync them or not. It’s probably worthwhile to do a quick bit of work on preferences as there does seem to be quite a few that’d be nice to have.

I think I really like this idea :slight_smile:

I agree that the plain logo juxtaposed next to a plain text forum leaves a bit to be desired. On the main site there’s tons of images and graphics so it works, but not here. And yes it’d be great to differentiate. Really appreciate the idea!

2 Likes

I don’t really want to get ahead of myself here… we’ll have to see how korean goes. I suspect once I have things set up for two languages, it should be relatively simple to expand to a few more if they’re straightforward, like romance languages. German would be very easy; Spanish is the most attractive one, but I’d have to handle dialects, which may (or may not) pose complications.

But, we’ll really have to see how well the platform is performing for Japanese. If we can’t show a model which is really attractive and growing for Japanese learners than chasing additional languages is fruitless. We very well may just focus on Korean and Japanese for a while.

I probably wouldn’t even be doing Korean right now if it weren’t for the fact I am living here :slight_smile:. But I do think being able to do a language I’m focused on and can do in person outreach for is beneficial.

5 Likes

When you switch to adding more languages, what will you do with the current grading system (which currently mentions the JLPT levels as a part of the grades)? Will you institute different grading systems for each language or will you begin consolidating levels since some language proficiency levels/exams don’t have the same amount?

4 Likes

well, the JLPT levels are only a manual mapping from the grading levels. For Korean, I’ll just map TOPIK levels manually per user suggestions. European languages I think are all on CEFR (?) which makes things easier. That mapping would toggle when you switch languages.

You are right to wonder if a ‘lvl 20’ book in Korean would require a similar proficiency in Korean as a ‘lvl 20’ book in Japanese. Obviously they won’t be exactly the same, but it would be nice to try to get them in the same ball park… I actually think it’ll probably come out pretty close, but we’ll have to see!

7 Likes

The CEFR is just a framework of reference, as the name so subtly implies, so it can be used for all languages. It would make it less of a headache if that was used in place of language-specific exams, which almost certainly don’t line up with each other.

3 Likes

I don’t see why they have to line up anyway if it’s completely different languages. Having Japanese books with a random “B2” tag doesn’t seem too helpful, I don’t even know what JLPT level that would be. And it’s not relevant to me either way, because the information I want to gather from the JLPT tags is “Which JLPT level do I (roughly) need to be at to be able to read this book?” And Japanese proficiency just happens to be measured by the JLPT (most of the time).

I don’t care whether one book is B1 in German and another B2 in Japanese. Personally I’d want as little interference between the languages as possible.

6 Likes