Read every day for 15 minutes - 2022 Edition

Yes, the join date for this challenge.

1 Like

I’m excited to be working with y’all to improve our Japanese! Let’s all do our best :wink:
I think 15 minutes a day is pretty reasonable, considering I just read manga for 50min without realising it :rofl:

6 Likes

Ohh. Derp. I don’t know what I was thinking. Let me fix mine. (You already did, thank you!!!)

With the JLPT over I’m finally able to get back into reading Japanese novels!!! Hope to get at least 15 minutes a day in and start tracking my streak!

6 Likes

I started my reading arc with a similar tactic. I set the reading goal in Apple Books to 15 minutes and just went for it (you get a nice streak counter, etc.).

It works to give yourself a nice manageable goal, rather than strive for something harder (like an hour every day). Currently at a 174 day streak :scream_cat:

I don’t even use Apple Books anymore (TTU makes reading harder materials easier), but still try to keep that streak going in the App; although it’s only set to 1 minute now :rofl:

3 Likes

I didn’t know you could do that. That sounds like an awesome way to make yourself accountable and keep streaks going.

I think I could probably mod ttu to add that feature and integrate it to immersion reader.

2 Likes

Maybe it can be done as a pull request to ttu? It would be nice if they implemented as I not only use the apple device to read.

2 Likes

That was my initial idea, but it’s definitely much easier for me to do it for my overall app, because I have other other kinds of readers (discovery books) so having them all count towards the same timer would make sense.

Also, it would be easier to determine whether the book is being open or not from the app level than on the website level since the website is still in memory for a period of time even when you switch books or apps.

Edit: I also intend to release immersion reader on android one day, if that helps.

I ditched android but a windows version or something that could be loaded in the browser would be very welcome for my windows tablets.

Given my limited time and energy, I will probably focus only on mobile for now, but I might make a desktop build in the future with direct integration with AnkiConnect.

Also, I’m trying to migrate most of the reader functionality away from ttu as much as possible since the storage in the browser will be deleted if you don’t interact with it for a while (7 days), a behavior enforced by the webkit browser in ios.

1 Like