Reread & Rewatch support for books & movies

It would be cool to have the ability to reread books and have those pages count in the stat page.

It would be cool to have this feature for Anime/TV shows as well.

Trello Link:

I agree with this! Approved.

5 Likes

Soā€¦ if I re-read a book, what happens? Does it wipe out previous stats related to that book? Or just future stats donā€™t count?

On a related note, I was thinking that itā€™d be nice if I could create a ā€œcustom bookā€ just for tracking purposes (for tracking material thatā€™s not on Natively yet). Maybe re-reading a book could be tracked through a ā€œcopyā€ of the original book?
Title ā†’ Title (2nd reading) ā†’ Title (3rd reading) ā†’ etc

I feel like it should track them seperately - what if I want to compare how quickly Iā€™m going through a book on the second go around?

I like Goodreadā€™s re-read functionality, but Iā€™m not really tracking my language acquisition with that one, so maybe itā€™s not a 1:1 fit

@brandon Whereā€™s this ask fall in the grand plan? I just reread a manga and Iā€™m sad I canā€™t record it on Natively. Without reread support the stats page is incomplete. :cry:

7 Likes

I think this probably becomes more important with audiovisual tooā€¦

Idk. Iā€™m honestly not even sure how to do it well, so a little perplexed in general.

4 Likes

Separate DB table for ā€œcompletion datesā€ where a user can have more than one entry for the same book. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As a crappy workaround until itā€™s implemented, you could add the re-read information in as a private note, and tag the book in a custom list, for when itā€™s implemented, add the information.

Itā€™s a bit of a weird way to do it but yeah.

6 Likes

Yes that is rightā€¦ but the change back to in progress seems a bit perplexing. I wouldnā€™t really want to remove that as a ā€˜readā€™ book. If I have a separate ā€˜rereadā€™ status then I have to make sure all the ā€˜in progressā€™ interfaces and logic works which is also a pain. Maybe it would just work for the most part and Iā€™m overblowing it, iā€™m not sure.

Iā€™d be curious to know how others do it, like AniList.

2 Likes

AniList does have a rewatch/reread status, but you may want to do what Bookmeter does instead. I believe a finished book can still be marked as in progress, which doesnā€™t remove the finished book dates. Itā€™s as if the finished book dates is completely independent from the status.

4 Likes

Together with the other idea of creating custom books, can you treat a ā€œrereadā€ as a new, separate entity? So you have the original book, and then the user can choose whether they want to 1) reset all the data from that book to do a reread, or 2) make a custom reread book, which is a copy of the original, and will get its own set of data, and leave the original book data as is. maybe? :thinking:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this just going to lead to duplicate entries in your read list, though? As in, different read dates but same cover/volume number/etc. Feels like itā€™d start to get crowded and messy really quickly.

1 Like

Sure, only if you want to track all those dates. Iā€™m thinking you could probably collapse those copies like we currently collapse series. (How many times are you going to reread a book and track the progress?)

Right, that makes sense. I just am a little worried about it as there is a lot of status dependent logic and state transitionsā€¦ but nothing immediately comes to mind why it shouldnā€™t work. I should just try it. Regardless, there is still a little complication wrt the ui for the multiple date management and of course the stat calculationsā€¦ but those shouldnā€™t be too bad.

We do have to figure it out, especially I think for video. Video may also have the added complication of subs vs no subs, as I think a common flow is to watch something first with subs and then rewatch with no subs. But perhaps that could be a simple note :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I do think that adds more complication @FredKore, so will probably just keep to separate dates, but good idea!

4 Likes

Just came to me something to take in mind in case this can be implemented along, if/when reread support is added (and Iā€™m guessing now rewatching), it would be nice to be able to tag or add a comment to them.

For example Iā€™m reading a series, then doing a second pass with the audiobook. So that way I could tell apart my records. I can sort of do this with my private note, but feels more of a hack.

2 Likes

Yeah, absolutely. I think thatā€™s important too with audiovisual wrt subs / no subs.

Itā€™s still a little daunting to me to try and tackle this ticket, but with the Data Manager rolled out itā€™s certainly more doable. Rewatches I feel like are even more common than rereads, increasing the priority here.

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny, because it only seems complicated due to all the data tracking Natively supports. To me itā€™s as ā€œsimpleā€ as tracking additional start and end dates. :joy:

FWIW, I donā€™t exactly know what @Megumin means by telling apart his ā€œrecordsā€, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to see the same entry on my list twice. Bookmeter does include rereads in the Read list, but they donā€™t have a group by series option. Given the group by series option, Iā€™m not sure how youā€™d even include rereads on the list. It might be simpler just to have an icon (similar to AniList) for number of rereads completed, and then rely on the data manager to specify the dates (and subs type for videos) of the reread/rewatch. I donā€™t think itā€™s really necessary to track more data than that. To clarify, people might still have time read sessions just like the first time they read a book. It just doesnā€™t seem like that would be different between first read and reread (but tell me if Iā€™m wrong and making bad assumptions).

5 Likes

So, for Books & Movies, youā€™re right, itā€™s not hard. TV is where it gets a bit more complicated as you need multiple dates for each tv episodeā€¦ still probably not that hard. Iā€™m a bit burned out on the data manager though, so dragging my feet about it :slight_smile:

The rest of your UI suggestions I like too. A rewatch icon on the books makes sense, donā€™t like a separate entry.

6 Likes

The advantadge of separate entries, is for timing purposes.

For example Iā€™ll take a different time for the first read, than the second or if I do the audiobook.
And Iā€™m quite interested in having that data to me.

Graph wise, it could be displayed the different lines in different colors.

3 Likes

So, youā€™ll still be able to get separate stats, thatā€™s not an issue. I guess I was talking more about a separate entry in the library, like Bookmeter.

There will be a separate entry in the data manager for each read. Probably tabbed at the top, with each tab corresponding to a ā€˜readā€™ (a pair of start & end dates).

6 Likes