The Horror Book Club 👻 😱

@omk3 I would like to make a correction to apologize to the voice actor now that I finally had the opportunity to listen all the way to the end (of the track, not the book)
it wasn’t 2 different characters
it was a missing conversation kind of story telling
so it was all the same character but because of the missing conversation partner I misunderstood and thought it was some weird conversation I’m not following between 2 characters :rofl:

edit: also the dialect is getting heavier as she tells her story

2 Likes

Apology accepted, I’m sure :grin:

:dizzy_face: Is it intelligible at all? I always thought dialect would be easier to understand when you hear it rather than read it, but I’m not sure…

1 Like

it is
dont know if it would have been as intelligible in writing, but as audio its very intelligible
the unclear parts are things that I suspect are cultural references and stuff like that, but aside from that (and the initial misunderstanding) i didnt have issues understanding so far

1 Like

There’s a promotion going on for Kadokawa horror on Bookwalker right now, valid until Feb 22nd. Some books are 90% off (リング and ぼぎわんが、来る and ナキメサマ among them) :scream:

4 Likes

Looks like at least some of those are on Amazon as well; I saw リング and ぼうぎわん, at least.

3 Likes

This is currently 79 yen on Bookwalker and Amazon. Who’s in for a quick informal horror club?
(we could also do ぼぎわんが、来る | L36 (learnnatively.com). Same price, also a debut and an award winner)

5 Likes

I’m down :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: but with a preference for ぼぎわんが、来る just since that’s been on my 読みたい list for years. Happy for anything, though!

3 Likes

I had some free points on BW, so now I have both. :eyes:

2 Likes

We can do both :grin:

Shall we start with ぼぎわんが、来る, or shall I make a poll?

3 Likes

(I also just bought 十三の呪 死相学探偵1 | L30?? because I still had some coins and… handsome guy + cat… it’s my achilles’ heel… :see_no_evil:)

4 Likes

Picked up a few books because they were so darn cheap. Tentatively interested in reading one for a book club.

2 Likes

Informal poll time then :grin:

• I prefer to read ぼぎわんが、来る now
  • I prefer to read ナキメサマ now
  • I prefer to read something else now (explain in comments)
  • I’m up for anything, more or less
  • I’m not interested in any of those right now
0 voters

And when would you like to start? (keep in mind the schedule will be completely informal):

• Right now
  • Next week
  • At some point in the future
0 voters
4 Likes

My “other” choice is 十三の呪 死相学探偵1 | L30??.

2 Likes

Posted a thread for ぼぎわんが、来る since the two people who voted for it also wanted to start right now. Feel free to start your own informal clubs for books you want to read if you’d like. :slightly_smiling_face:

This being an informal club, everyone can start reading any time and read at whatever pace they choose. :books:

6 Likes

Wow, sudden outburst of activity here due to the Bookwalker sale :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Checked out the 90% off sale, and there is one other book that caught my interest: It’s called “ON” and it’s the first volume of a 10-volume series called 猟奇犯罪捜査班・藤堂比奈子. Apparently it won the 第21回日本ホラー小説大賞読者賞 (i.e. not the real prize, just the readers’ choice, but hey) and it’s the author’s debut (which secures two, three or maybe even more Bingo slots :rofl:)

There’s also another book by the same author in the 90% off sale, which is called “MASK” and also sounds interesting (and is also the start of a series), but if I understand correctly one can only buy one book at 90% discount?

This one also caught my eye but my brain immediately noped out once it arrived at the conclusion that the title might somehow be related to 中二病 :rofl:

I think I’ll opt for “ON” for now, but I won’t read it right now as the WK ABC with its difficult book might be enough for now (together with the 3+ other books I’m reading in parallel :crazy_face:).

3 Likes

Where are you getting that? I don’t see anything about a limit, and I still see the discounts even though I got one already. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the sale! Can I really read any of these yet? No. Did I still buy like 5 because I can’t control myself? Yes.

4 Likes

I saw this as the title of the 90% off section:

and figured it means that one can get (just) one volume (from the whole list) for 90% off, but maybe it simply means that each of the listed volumes is 90% off :woman_shrugging: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ah, right. I think it means that the first volume of these series is 90% off. (Japanese ambiguity at its finest)

2 Likes

Ahaha, point taken :grin: :woman_facepalming:

1 Like