The 恩田 陸 (Onda Riku) Book Club | Starting November: 月の裏側

Poll time! Let’s choose the book we’ll start the club with.
Note that we’ll vote on starting date after we’ve chosen the book.

3 votes may be a bit much for only 5 options, but in another poll I had specified 2 options and ended up finding them too restrictive, so 3 it is. :slight_smile:

You can find the nominations with covers and links at the end of the first post.

The poll will close automatically on 2023-09-12T20:00:00Z

• 蜜蜂と遠雷
  • 月の裏側
  • Q&A
  • ドミノ
  • 六番目の小夜子
0 voters
4 Likes

As I write this we have a four way tie for first place at five votes each :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl: Posting a screenshot for posterity:

I haven’t used all my three votes yet because I couldn’t decide between ドミノ and Q&A, so I may be able to break the tie. But it’s early days yet, so I’m sure it’ll change on its own.

6 Likes

I have placed my votes and now we only have a two way tie. :saluting_face:

7 Likes

Yes I also have one vote in reserve :grin: if it’s down to the wire I will look again!

2 Likes

It’s looking more and more likely that we’ll need a run off vote… :thinking:

Edit: I used my third vote, and we now have a three-way tie. :smiling_imp:
I was supposed to use it to break a tie, but what can you do

6 Likes

I… adjusted some things, and now it’s looking better :sweat_smile:
(but if you prefer me to not do that, I will ofc undo my changes)

3 Likes

Ah, yes, it does look a little clearer now. :grin:
(of course we’re still just one vote away from another tie :popcorn:)

Whyever would I have an opinion on how people vote? The system allows vote changes, and I’m sure everyone votes honestly on what they prefer to read, so if someone changes their mind mid-poll that’s perfectly fine. I added another vote myself only last night after all.

4 Likes

And the winner is 月の裏側! :tada:

Which leads us to the next question - when would you like to start reading?

• Right now!
  • October
  • November
  • December
  • Next year
  • Something else (please specify)
0 voters
2 Likes

I expect to have free time towards the end of September but definitely don’t “right now” :joy:

2 Likes

The book is still heavily discounted right now, and on top of that there is a 45% coin cashback campaign (if one buys books for more than 1500 yen) :rofl:
(Edit: I should mention that this refers to Bookwalker :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

I bought the book (although I have no experience with the author, but the description sounded interesting enough) and am looking forward to reading it with the book club!

It’s also discounted on Amazon currently. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We have a very impressive 100% for November so far :smiley:

5 Likes

I haven’t been voting/participating so far because I don’t trust my schedule to be anything like free until next year, but I’ve been keeping an eye on things. Dunno if I’ll be able to participate in Nov, but 月の裏側 is only ¥183 on Amazon right now, and it’s good to keep interesting books ready and waiting, am I right? :eyes:

8 Likes

With 10 voters already out of the 11 who voted in the book poll, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect the date poll results to change much, so I guess it’s fine to announce officially that we’ll be starting 月の裏側 in November! :tada:

Another question that we may want to answer is, how structured do we want this club to be? Do we want weekly threads like most clubs, or just one thread per book and everyone reads at their own pace and comments accordingly?

• I prefer weekly threads and a clear structure
  • I prefer one thread where everyone reads at their own pace
  • I don’t mind either way
  • I have another idea (please explain)
0 voters

And what about pace? The Mystery Club for example is currently reading at roughly 40 pages per week. Would something like that be okay? Too fast? Too slow? Of course this may also vary depending on book and chapter length, but generally speaking:

• 30-40 pages per week is fine
  • 30-40 pages per week is too fast
  • 30-40 pages per week is too slow
0 voters
2 Likes

I voted “don’t mind” on the thread structure, but it sounds like we’ve probably got enough readers to justify the weekly threads.

2 Likes

It seems almost everyone is in agreement once again :smiley:

So we’ll have weekly threads with a clear schedule of maximum 40 pages per week, lower if the chapters allow it (@shablul , what would be a comfortable pace for you?). We can discuss this on a per book basis.
First weekly thread will be posted November 6, so we can start on a Monday.

I’ll make a home thread at some point and link it here, but since we’re one and half months away from our start date, I believe there’s no hurry.

6 Likes

I can do around 20-30 maybe but if you do 35+ I’ll probably be in an eternal lag :sweat_smile:
(And thank you so much for asking​:heart::heart::heart::heart:)

6 Likes

Okay, I’ll keep it in mind when making the schedule. If chapters allow it, 30 pages sounds like a good compromise for everyone. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I went ahead and set up the thread (although it’s still early), so we can discuss schedule:

5 Likes