Visual Novel Reading Club

The English BCs I know on discord make a new channel for each book… that’s an option.
But I also think that the barrier of entry is higher for discord than it is for forums like these. May just be me, though. :thinking: The more the merrier. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s true, but I don’t think discord is really set up well for lots of channels… more than 40 becomes unwieldy imo. Fewer channels also lead to really long discussions which I think are great for small, tightly knit communities, but less so for large ones. I’m actually pretty perplexed at these super large discords… I think they’d be much better served by forums. Seems like the wrong technology imo.

In any case though, yeah discourse is much better for our purposes, for a variety of reasons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What do we do about lengthy visual novels? Would it be okay to limit the nominations to visual novels which are around 50h long max?

About visual novel length
  • under 50h
  • length shouldn’t matter
0 voters
1 Like

Sorry I will do the poll once more.

How many nominations should be allowed per member?
  • Unlimited
0 voters
1 Like

Things that come to mind.

How much “gameplay” should the visual novel have? For example, Utwaremono has battle scenes, although it’s still mostly considered a visual novel.

Also how much branching is tolerable and how we handle it on the club? If there’s a lot of branching, it might get confusing for discussion purposes?

2 Likes

I personally don’t mind visual novels with gameplay and wouldn’t want to exclude them. Especially considering how popular the ones, where you solve riddles are. But of course other people may think differently about that.

Should we allow nominations for visual novels with gameplay?
  • Of course
  • No
0 voters

For me, gameplay is not a deal breaker either way. Personally, it really only comes down to:

• is the story interesting?
  • how long does it take to complete 1 route?
  • is the art nice to look at?

bonus points to be considered:

• voice acting
  • walkthrough available
  • price

Regarding branching: Isn’t there usually a consensus as to which route is the best to start out with? :thinking: For a club, it would probably be good to agree on 1 specific route to be completed within the BC timeframe. :thinking:

1 Like

No idea how branching story lines should be handled yet.

But I think I will start writing the nomination rules. I want to start the nomination phase sooner than later. Of course the rules can still be changed before we start the nominations.

3 Likes

Tangent, but how far in are the battles anyway?? I’d been playing for a bit, but never got to them, and then put it down for more interesting content (though I’d definitely consider voting for it if it’s nominated)

2 Likes

Okay the temporary nomination rules are written. Surely I forgot something important but we can still change the rules before we start nominations.

1 Like

I think you had a good few hours of story building before anything happened IIRC

1 Like

Can we start nominating now, or are we waiting for a certain date or something?

1 Like

Actually I wanted to start it already but I don’t want to decide things on my own here. We can start tomorrow if enough people here decide that we are ready to start the nomination phase.

Should we start the nominations?
  • Let’s start it
  • The nomination rules still need to be overworked
  • We still need to discuss things
0 voters
1 Like

It can’t hurt to start nominating now, though I think someone should definitely toss together a preliminary nomination format based off the discussion here.

As for the topic of branching stories, actually does raise a sort of interesting question about how to handle discussion across different routes and potential spoilers. I’m also curious as to how progress tracking will be handled, and if there’s any easy solutions that could work be applied to all VNs.

5 Likes

How about this:
Title: Game X
Platform: PC, Switch
Story Summary:
Vndb Link:
Language difficulty: Intermediate if available put a link to the jpdb.io entry of the visual novel
Average Game Length: 25 hours
Hookable: Yes
Voiced Audio: Yes all spoken lines are voiced
Spoken Lines Replayable: Yes
Trigger Warnings: please put them behind spoiler tags

4 Likes

This looks good to me, only thing I would add is maybe having the JPDB link for language difficulty

2 Likes

Content warnings would be nice to have, too, me thinks. Personally, I don’t need them, but some VNs I have come across are pretty dark and some people might prefer to know. :thinking:

5 Likes

Great idea we definitely will do that but we should hide them behind spoiler tags.

3 Likes

When including platform PC, we need store fronts where we can get it.

I’ll probably won’t go for anything that it’s not on Steam, GOG or DMM.

3 Likes

I guess I’ll be the first to nominate.

Title: ナツノカナタ
Platform: Windows, Mac OS (through Steam)
Story Summary:

long-Japanese

故郷の東京を離れ、北を目指して一人旅を続ける少女、ナツノ。高校の同級生とは、東京を出るときに離れ離れになった。
両親とはどこかの駅ではぐれた。
電車が動かなくなってからは、一人で歩いて旅を続けた。
旅に行くあてはなく、帰るところはどこにもなかった。

世界は、半年前に終わりを迎えていた。
未曾有のパンデミックは、ほんのわずかな時間で、社会を崩壊させた。
感染すると、人は理性を失い、物言わぬ怪物となって人を襲う。
原因となるウイルスも細菌も、ついに明らかにならなかった。
わかっていることは何もない。
それでも目の前にあるものはただただ現実で、
町を歩いても誰にも出会わず、たった一人、旅を続けるしかない。

あなたが偶然話をしたのは、そんな世界を旅する少女だった。
亡くなった祖母の遺品整理で古いコンピュータを見つけたのが、すべてのはじまり。
祖母との思い出を探して、あなたはコンピュータのデータを開いた。
けれどコンピュータから聞こえたのは、知らない少女の声──
ナツノと名乗る少女と、どういうわけか通話が繋がっていた。

もちろん、あなたの住む世界ではパンデミックなんて起きていない。
高校生は誰もいない町なんかを放浪したりせず、夏休みを満喫している。
それでも確かに、ナツノと通話は繋がっていて。
彼女はいったいどこにいるのか。
どうして通話が繋がるのか。
わからないことだらけだったけれど、
彼女はただ「話し相手になってよ」と、そう言った。

終わってしまった世界を生きる、別の少女たちとの出会いを重ねながら、
あなたは少しずつ、真実に迫っていく──

long- English

Natsuno, a girl who leaves her hometown of Tokyo and continues traveling alone to the north. She is alone.
She left her high school classmate at Tokyo, and got separated from her parents at some station.
After the train stopped working, she walked alone and continued her journey.
She hadn’t where to go and any purpose.

The world has ended before half a year.
An unprecedented pandemic has destroyed society in just a few moments.
When infected, a person loses reason and becomes a monster cannot speak that attacks the person.
Neither the causative virus nor the bacteria were finally revealed.
People don’t know anything.
Still, what is in front of her is just reality,
Even if she walks around the town, she don’t meet anyone and have no choice but to continue her journey alone.

You happened to talk to a girl traveling in such a world.
It all started when you found an old computer, throught my grantmother’s possessions after her death.
Looking for memories with your grandmother, you opened the data on your computer.
But what I heard from the computer was the voice of an unknown girl ──
You dont know why but a call was connected to a girl who called herself Natsuno.

Of course, there is no pandemic in the world you live in.
High school students enjoy their summer vacation, they don’t wander around an empty town.
Still, it’s true that Natsuno and the call are connected.
Where is she?
Why can the call be connected?
There were so many things I didn’t understand,
She just “talk to me,” she said.

While meeting other girls who live in a world that has ended,
You gradually approach the truth ──

Vndb Link: Natsuno Kanata | vndb
Language difficulty: No JPDB but I played a bit it’s not too difficult. Would say intermediate.
Average Game Length: ~8 hours
Hookable: Not sure but can’t copy text from the game
Voiced Audio: No
Spoken Lines Replayable: N/A
Trigger Warnings: possibly mild violence?
Additional Info: Free on Steam.

5 Likes