Visual Novel Reading Club

When does it end? I’m having trouble finding it. Also earlier threads mentioned length and routes. Can we nominate routes, instead of an entire VN? For example, Fate/Stay Night is 60-85 hrs as a whole. Otoh, if it were just the Fate route (which is route 1), somewhere around 20-30.

Would it be ok to nominate just one route of something?

1 Like

When never had any set dead line here I was thinking about holding the vote tomorrow or the day after tomorrow but if people still need more time for their nominations we can postpone it.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t especially when a route stand on its own. But other people may think differently.

Would it be okay to just nominate a route instead of a whole visual novel?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Only if it stand on it’s own
  • Only if the visual novel is very long
0 voters
1 Like

In the end, I’m not gonna nominate Fate. I think it would probably be better to start with something lighter/more practical tbh (esp since I’m already gonna be doing the LN book club when 本好き starts). Maybe in another round.

But thx for clarifying/polling about the single route option

6 Likes

Not sure there will be ever enough interest in 女性向け stuff but this might come handy then:

8 Likes

Soon is relative. For me, soon has passed.
Are you busy, or did you want to wait with the vote?

1 Like

Sorry I was sick and busy with lots of different things.

But at least I managed to check if Island is hookable and it certainly is. I want to make one more nomination and then do the poll over the weekend.

1 Like

If I didn’t miss anything then we only have six nominations.

Not that it really matters. Okay any nominations posted after this post won’t be included in the vote.

1 Like
Which visual novel should the club read first?
  • ナツノカナタ
  • FLOWERS -Le volume sur printemps-
  • マルコと銀河竜 / Marco to Ginga Ryuu
  • CHAOS;CHILD
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
  • Island
0 voters
4 Likes

You should change the thread title too to make it obvious the vote started!

3 Likes

What are we looking at as possible start dates? Trying to make sure I actually have the room in my schedule

4 Likes

Good question I thought that we would start after the twenty or so September.

But we should better decide that in a vote. I will do one once I have some free time probably tomorrow.

4 Likes

in case the current poll keeps like this, I have my up to date copies ready:

11 Likes

Oooh pretty

When should we start reading our first visual novel?
  • September 23th
  • September 30th
  • October 7th
  • October 14th
  • October 21st
  • October 28th
  • It doesn’t matter
0 voters
1 Like

Woah, that looks cool. And 97% on Steam is quite something! And it’s short-ish too, which is perfect for my level. If this doesn’t win, I’ll read it on my own - thanks for suggesting it!

4 Likes

I checked the demo for マルコと銀河竜 / Marco to Ginga Ryuu, and it doesn’t only have bilingual display (which I don’t really like, because my eyes are invariably drawn to the English), but you can also set to just one language and then switch between Japanese and English at any time with the press of a J/E on the keyboard. It’s super nice.

The only downside I found is that at least the demo doesn’t have Japanese subtitles for the fully animated sequences. But you can easily repeat them (the log allows jumping back before it started) and watch them again, e.g. with English subtitles.

(Oh, and you can set the UI language independently, which is nice for me too.)

6 Likes

If I remember correctly, you actually have to turn on subtitles for animated sequences in the settings (since I was able to turn them on for subsequent animated sequences). The real downside though is that you can’t pause or hook the subtitles in those sequences, and for some reason a lot of the animated sequences (and also the whole soundtrack) haven’t been uploaded to youtube, so I guess if you’re determined to understand 100%, make sure to prepare your screen capture software ahead of time.

3 Likes

Yeah, the lack of control during the animated sequences is a bit unfortunate too. Screen capture software is a good idea!

And you mean you were able to turn on Japanese subtitles for the animated sequences?

1 Like

Yeah, I launched it to double check and the option name is “Cartoon Subtitles”

So I guess I would advise everyone to make sure they switch that on before playing

3 Likes

Ah, fantastic! Thanks!

The demo was missing that option.

2 Likes