Week 5 of ๐Ÿช‘ ๅ‘Š็™ฝ ๐Ÿ™Š

I think Japanese use ~ใใ‚Œใ‚‹ and stuff also when someone does something for someone else even if that someone else doesnโ€™t appreciate it. It emphasises that the deed has an impact on someone else. But thatโ€™s just my understanding.

i.e.:

ใจใ‚“ใงใ‚‚ใชใ„ใ“ใจใ‚’ใ—ใฆใใ‚Œใพใ—ใŸ = he did something outrageous that effected me.
ใจใ‚“ใงใ‚‚ใชใ„ใ“ใจใ‚’ใ—ใพใ—ใŸ = he did something outrageous (and I was just witnessing it).

3 Likes

What a chapter.

I really enjoyed reading the motherโ€™s thoughts in a dark humor sense.

So far, it seems like this story is set up so that you think you know what happened at the beginning, but as you read on you find out more about the truth.

Iโ€™m under the impression that the reader is supposed to have a reversal of how they feel about A and B. In the first chapter, A was made to seem like the more atrocious of the two. Most comments here had a stronger reaction to him. But if itโ€™s true that B through her into the pool after she opened her eyes, and not because he was afraid, wellโ€ฆ Maybe thatโ€™s a part of the societal commentary of the story.

Reading this chapter Iโ€™m also more convinced that when A was talking about trying to ramp up the stakes of his stories to get a reaction, he was making up the more serious claims (in order to do a reversal of how the reader feels like with B, not that A or B were ever in the clear).

I am very curious what information will be revealed next.

5 Likes

I read that as sarcasm at the time, I believe. Like you could say โ€œthanks to you doing x, this terrible thing happenedโ€ in English as well. (Unless you canโ€™t :joy:)

2 Likes

I was talking to a Japanese person who had read the book yesterday (and another one who hadnโ€™t, but I showed them the passage*) and they both also said it was sarcasm.

Case closed! :smiley:

*they looked horrified when I told them the plot of the book :sweat_smile:

3 Likes