What are you watching today?

I marked my first day watched today! (I never really kept notes of when I watched what, so I could never backdate anything except books.) I had access to the blu-ray player today and watched the first 5 eps of 2.43  清陰高校男子バレー部. I actually… understood most of it? I even understood stuff while I was playing solitaire through part of it (ADHD), though ofc not to the degree as in EN. I have no idea if my listening comprehension has actually jumped up somehow when most of my listening practice lately has just been listening to the same few dozen songs, or if it’s simply my familiarity w this series since I’ve watched it w both EN subs and no subs more times than I can count. Still, felt cool.

4 Likes

I finished カードキャプターさくらS1 earlier this week, and partly to convince myself that I was understanding things and not just remembering things decided the next anime would be one I’ve never watched before, so I’ve started きんいろモザイク. I’m about halfway through now, and thankfully it’s much shorter than CCS, so will probably finish it during the upcoming week.

I’ve been basically aware that many anime settings just draw real places, but it really hammered it home when so much of episode 1 took place in London, including in places I’ve been. And even the English countryside felt familiar as Irish countryside is pretty similar (though as I commented on the WK forums, it appears the character also found a time machine on her way to the countryside)

5 Likes

I started and finished ポケモンコンシェルジュ | L19 yesterday! A very cute show about Pokemon on a resort island; the episodes are also really short, only about ~15 minutes each. I turned on subs for this, and it was pretty nice to just zoom through the whole series in one sitting.

3 Likes

Watched the next 4 eps of 2.43 today. Only 3 eps to go!

If I’m watching something I’m less familiar with next, that would be given or Double Decker. I don’t have the first vol of Jeweler Richard. I’ll probably decide what to watch when I actually sit down to do so.

1 Like

Finished 2.43! I feel like my comprehension was a little bit lower these last 3 eps. Could be because I’m tired, could be because I’ve watched them the fewest number of times. Or both.

Though I have the opportunity to start something else… yeah I’m too mired in 2.43 right now to watch (or read) anything else. I need the HaruKou Arc to be made into an anime, like seriously. I need to see Yumikake and Asano animated and I need it to kneecap my feels with a tire iron from the TV screen. No idea if it’s ever happening or not though (I’m not getting my hopes up, but… pls)

3 Likes

I did Fate/Stay Night eps 0 & 1 like that… and then did an ep of 弱キャラ友崎くん 2nd Stage | L23 but only did dictation with the lines I didn’t immediately get (still a decent amount, but less than F/SN). Watched ep 5 of F/SN and found my comprehension was pretty decent, but then ep 6 was much less. So I’m doing dictation w/ ep 6 tonight (only the lines I don’t immediately get).

Surprisingly FGO (so far) has extremely little overlap F/SN VN. I have to go on a 出張 this week, so I’ll mostly work on FGO Septem arc, since I won’t have my laptop :cry:

2 Likes

Watched the first 6 eps of ギヴン today. Yeah, I think my comprehension level with 2.43 was tied to my familiarity with it, because I’m only a little bit familiar with given and my comprehension dropped somewhat on this. I need to get myself to try and listen to audio dramas and stuff more. Maybe it I just treat it as background noise, like music, that’ll lower the executive function barrier… There should still be some my brain picks up even if I’m not actively trying to listen, right

3 Likes

I’m watching Rilakkuma, revisiting it after a long time. I used to not understand a single thing but I almost understand everything now, progress is a wonderful thing!

7 Likes

Enjoying らんま½ S1 | L25 (which I watched a lot of, back in high school). I don’t really understand some of the changes or things they fill out. It’s not always bad, but I usually prefer the more concise rendition of the manga.

So far I’ve been reading the manga side by side, but I know it gets out of sync eventually. So I’ll probably go read ahead in the manga, so I can start to catch up with some of my other shows. Definitely not making it a goal to finish all 161 eps (tho cool if I do)

6 Likes

I am currently watching the original DBZ series with the original speed of one episode per week. Cell has just died but Sayaman has not yet appeared. So I still have about one and a half year to go - which you probably wouldn’t dare to call speed at all :wink:

5 Likes

DBZ is at least broken into seasons on here tho. Ranma is a single season of 161 episodes :sob:

Are you planning to finish all of DBZ? I don’t think I could stick with anything for such an extended period

1 Like

Yes I’d like to continue till the end. And who knows what they’ll show after it. On wikipedia I read it originally went on without interruption with DB GT which I’ve never seen before.

2 Likes

GT is not nearly on par with the original Dragon Ball or DBZ. It’s also non-canon if you care about that kind of thing.

1 Like

Well then I hope they will remake it someday…

It’s non-canon because it’s anime original and not adapted from the manga. I can’t imagine they’ll remake it. That said, the manga continued years after it originally ended (end of DBZ) and has since been adapted as Dragon Ball Super. I haven’t watched it since I’m not really interested in that kind of anime anymore, but it’s there if you want to watch it.

2 Likes

Well then I already saw it one or two years ago. Thanks for your insights.

2 Likes

There is no watching, but I decided to listen to one of the oldest videos on my ‘watch later’ list on youtube, which is a radio drama:

I’m about 15 minutes in and it’s not the best acting*, but it’s got me interested in exploring radio dramas again. I enjoy the format.

*It’s free and the actors are practicing, so this is fine :heart: But it can be distracting at times

5 Likes

Not watching anything at the moment, but since I am living under a rock, I have only heard today that the author of セクシー田中さん committed suicide nearly one month ago due to not being able to handle the conflict with the production company of the drama [Edit: I’m mostly mentioning that story because we discussed the drama in this thread]. First reaction of the company was to make a public statement at the time saying “we didn’t do anything wrong”. Really classy. But I heard on the radio this morning that they finally decided to open an internal investigation of the events. (That’s how I found out about the whole thing to begin with; I was just reminded of it by seeing 社内探偵 in @cat’s post)

4 Likes

Oh geez that’s horrible all around. I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry to hear the author ended their life - they were clearing bringing delight to others in the world :frowning:

4 Likes

I got a bit irritated/tired w/ らんま½ S1 | L25. It has all the flaws as the manga + a whole bunch of extra flaws (I love them both, they just also frustrate me at times). Switched to 犬夜叉 S1 | L27 - the other famous dragged out, “will they won’t they”, double tsundere series by Rumiko Takahashi.

So far I love Inuyasha - the setting is way more engaging (especially with all the 妖怪), the characters are more interesting, and somehow the episodes fly by… but it still has another 157 episodes to disappoint me 笑 (which iirc, it will eventually do). Doubt I’ll finish the whole thing, but who knows

It does have me interested to read the manga because I’m a masochist. From what I’ve heard, many of my probable issues aren’t present there, and I’m interested in some of the language.

4 Likes