"What should I read next?" Megathread

I don’t think you put it up against similar calibre competition - YKK is a classic. I read it over a decade ago and still think about it sometimes.

4 Likes

I’m getting near the end of 人間失格, so I need a new book to fill my time. Here’s a little summary of each book as none of them have any reads yet on this site.
変身 - Japanese translation of Kafka’s Metamorphosis. The one about the bug man.
絶歌 - Basically a memoir by a notorious serial killer in Japan. Details his crimes and his thought process behind them and all that fun stuff.
夢見通りの人々 - A collection of stories about the lives and mannerisms of random people living on this one street.

Second poll for these two books that I’m tied between.

I finished すべての神様の十月 last week. I took a few days break and I was hoping to start コンビニ人間 with the WK IBC primer book club this Monday and あん with the IBC book club the following week. I think reading those two at the same time should be doable for me.

… but I just noticed I had all the dates wrong and the book clubs don’t actually start until one week later than I though. I don’t want to take another week off from reading, but I think ending up having 3 overlapping books will be too much.

Any suggestions?

4 Likes

Maybe check out some Aozora short stories?

3 Likes

Oh perfect. Thanks!

1 Like

Closed polls! Pretty clear winner for the first poll. As for the 2nd. it looks like 痴人の愛 won but as I messed up and put the images and titles as separate options, if you actually add up the percentages it seems like こころ won. So I’ll be reading these in order of the percentages they got. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Hello! I need some help choosing what to read next but don’t want to give away the titles so that’ll it’ll feel a bit more randomized (will write them down when it’s final or something I guess lol :crazy_face:)

• Murderers
  • Monks
  • Vampires
  • A telenovela

0 voters

3 Likes

So find something about Monks being Vampires or vice-versa :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I found a monk vs vampire if it helps :joy:

update:
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1641131756823756821

Update 2:
Our wonderful creator has made the page for it :muscle:

4 Likes

So I closed the poll since I wanted to start reading already, thank you so much everybody :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The true identities of the options were
Monks

Vampires

Murderers

A telenovela

10 Likes

Aaah, good pick for the monks. I was wondering what option you had in mind for that, haha.

1 Like

I’m obsessed with the fact that you called 源氏物語 a telenovela, lol. I guess a case can be made.

9 Likes

What’s a good “next series” after finishing Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear? I’m almost done with volume 7 but starting to get a bit bored with the story. I’d like something that’s just slightly harder so I can take a step up on learning, but the story needs to be really good. I feel like the narrative moreso than the difficulty is keeping me from going throuhg Kuma any faster

Unfortunately the lowest level books I genuinely enjoyed reading are quite a step up in difficulty at L28. 怪人二十面相 | L28 (available for free on Aozora) and ぼくが探偵だった夏 | L28.

If you’re fine with reading a high school friendship/romance series you could try reading a couple of volumes of 君に届け 1 | L25 and then moving on to more interesting stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve got an idea!

Ah nevermind.

That being said, I do like 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった... 1 | L26
It’s not hard, a bit repetitive at times, but fun.

3 Likes

I’m a sucker for an oldschool Gentleman thief story, I just might try taking the plunge anyhow! I probably should read a normal slice of life story at some point to get that normie vocab.

2 Likes

Read ホームレス中学生 | L24. It can be boring sometimes but overall it’s fun, easy, and introduces you to some 関西弁 so it’s worthwhile.

1 Like

Will definitely add this! Nice to see something that’s a single book and not a series as well

1 Like

Something a little different, there’s a horror themed otome game coming out in a few days I’m planning on playing and interestingly it’s split into four different worldlines with different vibes. Since I’m going in pretty blind I have no idea where to start so any input is welcome.

Which worldline should I play first?

• 学校の怪談編 (怖さ 3/3 糖度 1/3)
  • 都市伝説編 (怖さ 1/3 糖度 2/3)
  • 異世界編 (怖さ 2/3 糖度 3/3)
  • 妖編 (怖さ 0/3 糖度 2/3)

0 voters

3 Likes

Dang, that sounds really interesting. :eyes: I’ll need to add it to the ever-growing list…

1 Like