"What should I read next?" Megathread

Mmm. Also, “Algae Nanami” is a particularly impressive flub of the character name 藻奈美 by DeepL :slight_smile:

8 Likes

that’s why I voted for it. :rofl: I was curious if it would go there or not.

9 Likes

oof i wasn’t even thinking of it going in a gross direction, i was mostly looking at the fact that you like the author and thinking it might go into generic themes about aging and clinging onto youth and all that. but now i’m second guessing my vote :grimacing:

7 Likes

Seems like I’ll be going with 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ 8 then!

Thanks for the votes.

6 Likes

I thought I did so well with the 50% coin-back Bookwalker sale that I wouldn’t have to buy anything else for a while. Looks like it was a mistake not buying more volumes of SPYxFAMILY though… I blew through 3 volumes this week :joy: What should I read next?

2 Likes

Why does the link formatting always break for me? :sob: They show up correctly in the preview but when I publish they don’t…

2 Likes

There seems to be something weird going on, they are failing more than usual.

Maybe @brandon knows what might be going on?

3 Likes

I think last time I did a poll that was what happened. Let’s see:

0 voters

Outside the poll it is よつばと! 1 | L17

In the edit preview all those links convert. In the actual post only the outside the poll one does…

@seanblue asked about this in the discourse forum a few months back, with no response.

5 Likes

Well, that’s very annoying…

I’ll mention this is continuing to happen.

Edit: @Megumin and others, does this always happen? It seems the polls i’m looking at here mostly have handtyped urls.

4 Likes

I’m in the middle of playing 五等分の花嫁: 夏の思い出も五等分, and thought this was referring to 四葉 from that series, and was momentarily confused lol

Fwiw, I always do the links in markdown. At least on mobile, you can type the link text, then select it, and paste the URL, and it will autoformat. Looks like this, in the end: [五等分の花嫁: 夏の思い出も五等分](https://vndb.org/v29889) . It’s slightly more work, but saves the formatting issues. Otoh it means the levels won’t update, if they change.

6 Likes

As far as I can remember. I started playing around with polls late 2017- early 2018 and it was already behaving like that back in the days (formats correctly in the preview but not in the actual thing).
That problem also happens with other dynamic formatting stuff, like the math mode plugin.

7 Likes

Auto-formatted URLs are “baked” into the post, so the text won’t change even if the level changes.

6 Likes

I don’t recall if I handtyped the URLs in a poll before, but it seems the URLs are acting up more frequently than they used to.

3 Likes

Are you sure? Because I can search the forum for a natively like, it still shows in the post. Same if I edit a post.
Also, I just checked a bunch of links and they all matched (the difficulty, I mean). Either I was lucky, or it is re-rendered dynamically when the page is loaded.

3 Likes

I’m almost certain that it works like @seanblue describes. I’m pretty sure you were just lucky. :slight_smile:

That being said, I did just manually rebake some posts… while I highly doubt that would update the natively links, there’s a slim possibility it did.

Edit: For example: "What should I read next?" Megathread - #28 by Drinos

あなた is now 27: あなた | L27

4 Likes

I found one link that is now not expanding :joy: I’m pretty sure it was a while back.

3 Likes

Yeah, for the actual poll I did a few weeks back, I think I went back and edited it to have manual links when I realised it didn’t autoformat.

What would be really nice for polls would be a version that autoexpanded to include a thumbnail book cover image as well as the title and level. At the moment you have to manually upload the images to the forum post, unless I missed an easier way to do it.

1 Like

I think it depends on how you build the poll.
If you use the fancy menu probably it doesn’t autoexpand. But if you just use the markdown it seems to work:

1 Like

No, the preview always work (same for math mode on WK), but the actual posted version doesn’t.

3 Likes

I see, so it changes back after rendering correctly on the preview.

Weird.

2 Likes