"What should I read next?" Megathread

Good day Natively, I am once again going to return to using polls. I have too much I want to read and can’t decide what to pick anymore! Please help me out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NHKにようこそ! is a dark mindfuck.

Anime: Dark
Manga: Darker
Novel: Darkest

But I highly recommend.

4 Likes

What a great list! Thank you so much. All of these are going to go on my wishlist. I have the epub of かがみの孤城, so I will start that. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it. I keep coming across コーヒーが冷めないうちに, so maybe I’ll try that one next. This will keep me going for a while :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh man, I’ve tried to read かがみの孤城 two times but I just can’t get into it. I was really hoping to enjoy it, but it just feels too much like a kids book. I had the opposite experience, where I just couldn’t care about the middle schoolers, and was constantly annoyed by the awkward main character :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I read it with the audiobook which was incredibly well done (I listen to a TON of audiobooks and the quality here was some of the best) so perhaps that helped.

I also am just a sucker for an interesting mystery and character depth, and it delivered on both although with a very slow unfold.

5 Likes

I read it first and really enjoyed it (in fact, it’s currently my favorite Japanese book). Some people felt it was slow in the middle parts or got annoyed at Kokoro, but I never felt any of that. I’m listening to the audiobook now (on and off for over a month) and it really is quite good. That said, if someone doesn’t like the book when reading, I don’t think listening will make a difference.

3 Likes

Well, I was stuck at home for 10 days, so I couldn’t grab the next two books.
And yesterday, when I could finally get out, I found out that the library was closed for a week for re-inventoring… then they were closed for the holiday season until the 4th next year.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

6 Likes

Imagine getting Japanese books from your library… :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

Yeah, the only way my local library is going to have Japanese books is if I’m the one donating them. :joy:

2 Likes

Meanwhile, my library has nothing in English, except for a small collection of children books.
(The English section fits on a single shelf)

1 Like

but you can get a digital library card from the US (which is what I did). No such luck with Japanese libraries. :sob:

1 Like

I can’t seem to find out how. Everything I came across required me to be a US resident (some didn’t care if I was in a different state, but that’s about it).

Edit: ah, I found some, but they are not free, which makes sense. I don’t think I’ll invest in that now, but it’s good to know!

Edit2: never mind, the one I found still required me to have a nationality from the US, UK, Australia, and the like, which is not my case. I cannot find a digital library I can register to.

1 Like

The library I use, does no longer issue new cards to foreign residents, but I know a library in New York City (?) that still does: https://queenslibrary.org/get-a-card/eUser
You do have to pay a yearly fee, but I think that’s fair, since I don’t contribute to the local taxes and it’s still much cheaper (for me) than buying books. :see_no_evil:
In theory, there are also libraries, that don’t require proof of residency, but that’s more than a little grey legally/morally, so I’d rather not.

2 Likes

I am about to finish all the bookclub books and now I don’t know what to read next. I have a few things I want to read, but can’t decide. So my fate is in your hands, fellow forum dwellers. :eyes: Choose wisely. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Oh, nice, that one lets me put a Japanese address in, that’s promising!
As I said, not something I really need right now, but it’s nice to know the option exists.

2 Likes

I feel a little guilty for voting for bookworm in basically every poll, but book 3 is probably my favorite volume I’ve read so far so I have to go for it! ちょっと今から仕事を辞める has also been on my list for awhile though, that was a close second choice.

1 Like

Thank you for your votes. I closed the poll already since 10 voters seems like a good number and a clear favourite has already emerged. 本好き it is. :partying_face:

5 Likes

Was thinking I’d start a new series over the long Christmas weekend, so I figured I’d try out making a poll in this thread

One might argue that I should continue one of the dozens of them that I already have going, but that’s not the way things are looking like they’ll happen :sweat_smile:

I have a feeling that the last one here is probably really bad, but the cover was too good. I couldn’t resist

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about any series and they all look 男性向け but by cover alone, the last one got my vote. :rofl:

2 Likes

Dang this reminds me that my 50 volume set of ちはやふる is coming in time for the weekend so I probably should have included that. (Oh well there’s always new years weekend for that)

Honestly same (except that they’re the new series by three authors I’m familiar with)

But yeah that cover is nice. And volume 2’s goes really nicely with it

3 Likes