Who are we? (Natively user statistics)

I thought it would be interesting to get some (totally unscientific) statistics of the user base here. All polls are anonymous, so don’t worry about revealing any personal information.

You are encouraged to post more polls. After all, polls are fun :grin:

My age is…
  • 10-19
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70-79
  • 80+
0 voters
I identify as
  • male
  • female
  • other
0 voters
I currently live…
  • in the country where I grew up
  • elsewhere
0 voters
My native language/one of my native languages is English
  • yes
  • no
  • no, but I consider myself fluent
0 voters
I live in a country where my target language is spoken
  • yes
  • no
  • no, but I plan to move there
  • no, but I travel there often
0 voters
Apart from my native language(s), I’m studying/have studied in the past…
  • 1 language
  • 2-3 languages
  • 4-6 languages
  • 7+ languages
0 voters
The reason I’m learning a language/languages is…
  • out of necessity
  • for fun
  • a little bit of both
0 voters
Is reading the means or the goal for you?
  • I don’t normally read a lot. I read native content in order to learn the language better.
  • I’m learning the language (at least partly) in order to read native content. I’d read a lot regardless of language learning.
  • I started to learn a language, and discovered the joy of reading along the way.
  • Other
0 voters
When I read, I prefer…
  • reading extensively: I try to get the gist with as few lookups as possible
  • reading intensively: I look up everything and try to understand each sentence to the fullest
  • striking a balance between speed and comprehension
  • reading either extensively or intensively depending on the book and my mood
0 voters
23 Likes

Is another poll like this maybe interesting?

Where do you live?
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • North America
  • South America
  • Antarctica
  • Australia
0 voters
9 Likes

“Other” for me. Reading was my hobby to begin with, and I learned Japanese because I had to, not for fun. I am reading in Japanese because it gives me the pretense that it helps maintain my level.
That being said, LNs are quite different from both YA fiction and pulp from other languages, so it did open the door to a whole new range of trash reading (positive meaning).

12 Likes

For challenge would be another reason for perhaps many people.

For me, it is for challenge, but also fixing the bygone past.

Are there < 10 years old here?

What’s your age?
  • < 10 years old
0 voters

Another idea for a poll – timezone.

Choose your nearest timezone
  • UTC+12
  • UTC+9
  • UTC+6
  • UTC+3
  • UTC 2024-04-19T00:00:00Z
  • UTC-3
  • UTC-6
  • UTC-9
  • UTC-12
0 voters

What about geographical zone? That is, climate in general.

Geographical zone
  • North Frigid Zone (Arctic)
  • North Temperate Zone
  • Torrid Zone (Tropic)
  • South Temperate Zone
  • South Frigid Zone (Arctic)
0 voters

*South Frigid Zone is actually Antarctic, but I can’t edit.

8 Likes

I think I would group challenge with fun, but yes, the polls I made are totally unscientific and probably fail to predict many possible answers. Sorry about that :slight_smile:

Feel free to make all the polls you like (even variations on mine)! I promise I’ll answer them all. :smile:

Oh yes, and I didn’t think it likely there would be anyone in the 0-9 age bracket, but who knows? :eyes:

5 Likes

Well, considering that you are supposed to be 18+ to use Natively (according to the terms and conditions), answering that poll sounds like a trap :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: this part specifically

The Site is intended for users who are at least 18 years old. Persons under the age of 18 are not permitted to use or register for the Site.

11 Likes

Answers are anonymous though. It’s safe to answer, I promise :grin:

By the way 18 is a little high I think? I understand it’s for legal reasons, but I’d think that it would be fine for people in their teens to register and use the site, personally.

8 Likes

Maybe once we have more reliable 18+ tags, and a way to filter those books/videos out, the policy will be changed?
I agree though, even now, I think it’d be perfectly fine for teens to use Natively. Since the covers are monitored before being accepted, at worst you can come across an 18+ book/video with a non explicit cover, but then you’d still have to go outside of Natively to see/read it.

4 Likes

Anonymous for us, but obviously Discourse stores the info internally. I don’t know if admins get that info, but if they do, they could use that to kick you out. (I think you could easily argue you were joking though).

Yes, in most places I see a 13 years old limitation. I wonder if it’s related to the site having basically no control of 18+ covers/material?

8 Likes

I think there are quite strict rules when your potential audience is not adult. Just look at youtube kids. :melting_face:

5 Likes

Ohh I love this! A few of my hunches have so far proven correct, it’s a slightly older demographic (yay, similar age peers) and predominantly female. I observed the same for other book-related spaces.

Let me add two (the first one is for your primary target language):

When did you start learning?
  • 0-6 months ago
  • 6-12 months ago
  • 1-3 years ago
  • 3-6 years ago
  • > 6 years ago
0 voters
What’s your highest level of education or equivalent? (counts if you’re doing it atm)
  • Primary/Secondary school
  • High school
  • College/University
  • Post-graduate degree
  • Other
0 voters
10 Likes

Do you mean any other language by that? Or our main target language? Because for me, these two answers would be wildly different (<3 years for Korean, but 9-10 years for Spanish).

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s working properly for UTC

3 Likes

Ah yes, I did mean that (primary target language) , I even actually wrote that before I messed up my draft :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

I think that’s because most websites are operated by people in the US, and US law (COPPA) imposes much stricter controls on websites used by under 13s. So most sites prefer to forbid users under that age rather than jump through the hoops. Other jurisdictions might put the boundary in a different place, or not make a distinction at all.

7 Likes

I don’t know how to make now, so it’s actually 2024-04-19T00:00:00Z

Fun stuff! Pretty cool to see a small spread of user statistics.

5 Likes
Do you have friends/family who are also actively learning a foreign language?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Has Natively adding new languages encouraged you to pick up/start re-learning a language?
  • Yes, a language that Natively added
  • Yes, but for a language not yet on Natively
  • No
0 voters
Has Natively having multiple media types encouraged you to explore those you weren’t originally interested in?
  • Yes, I was encouraged to broaden my media consumption
  • No, I’ve stuck to my original interested media types
  • No, but I likely will once/if more media types are added
0 voters
Have you recommended Natively to another language learner?
  • Yes
  • No (i.e. you had the chance, but chose not to)
0 voters
11 Likes

I answered no to this, then thought about it, then decided people doing just duolingo don’t count. :sweat_smile:

I also know several people who are second language speakers of English but if they’re not studying anymore and just living it I don’t know if it counts either

Edit: oh but I do know people learning English now! Not close friends but I’ll change my answer

10 Likes

Oof talk about it. I have a very lovely friend, she’s been doing Duolingo for like… 6 months? And she just recently started realizing she might have to learn Kanji.

And then she started the Chinese course thinking it would help her with learning Kanji… I mean… I do see the way of thought - but…

14 Likes