The 恩田 陸 (Onda Riku) Book Club | Starting November: 月の裏側

Thanks! That’s good to know. I’ve heard she has quite a range genre-wise, and wasn’t sure what that meant in terms of that kind of stuff.

All these nominations are getting me excited to read more of her works! I have about enough points on Bookwalker for 1 or 2 of the sale books, the only question is which one(s)…

5 Likes

Hmm, if we manage to run our first poll before the 14nth, you/we’ll know. :thinking:

If we start our poll on the 6th, we can close it on the 12th, with time for purchases before the sales deadline runs out. How does that sound? The time for nominations may be too short, but then, large as her bibliography is, the options are still rather limited compared to other bookclubs, so maybe the short time for nominations won’t be a problem?

4 Likes

Sounds perfect! :+1:

And then we can discuss the starting time and whether we want a strict schedule at all, and these things.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much tbh. As you say, the scope is so limited, so I don’t think that it really matters as much whether we pick from 5 or 15 of her works… :woman_shrugging:

By the way, to all who are interested in the Bookwalker sale currently going on, I double-checked some of the bargains and it’s quite a mixed bag. Some clock in at only 30 or 40%, so you can get a better deal any time if you wait long enough for a 50% coin cashback fair (right, omk3? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But if you don’t like the coin cashback, that’s of course a different story.
There are a small handful of books though where you get much more than 50% off in this sale, and these are rather worth grabbing in my opinion, as it is quite rare to get such a high discount.

4 Likes

I don’t know what you’re talking about :eyes:
I only buy about a dozen books at every discount or coin back campaign, nothing much

But yes, if you’re interested in coins (I thought I wasn’t in the beginning, silly me, because “how much would I be able to read anyway?” ), it’s worth waiting if the discount is less than 40-50%. Although Gentosha has fewer of those than Kadowaka or Kodansha, I noticed.

3 Likes

Coins are about buying, not about reading :laughing: smh

5 Likes

Nomination for the book club:
quote) into a reply to nominate!

Book: 六番目の小夜子 | L30??
Genre: mystery/mild horror
Length: 257 pages
Is there an ebook available?: yes

Summary - Japanese

津村沙世子――とある地方の高校にやってきた、美しく謎めいた転校生。高校には十数年間にわたり、奇妙なゲームが受け継がれていた。三年に一度、サヨコと呼ばれる生徒が、見えざる手によって選ばれるのだ。そして今年は、「六番目のサヨコ」が誕生する年だった。学園生活、友情、恋愛。やがては失われる青春の輝きを美しい水晶に封じ込め、漆黒の恐怖で包みこんだ、伝説のデビュー作。

Summary - English

Sayoko Tsumura - A beautiful and mysterious transfer student who came to a local high school. A strange game had been passed down to her high school for more than a dozen years. Once every three years, a student called Sayoko is chosen by an invisible hand. And this year was the year when the ``Sixth Sayoko’’ was born. School life, friendship, and love. Her legendary debut work seals the brightness of youth that will eventually be lost in a beautiful crystal and envelops it in pitch-black fear.

Content warnings if known

Unknown

Why are you nominating this book:
The premise seems really interesting to me, actually a little bit reminiscent of a visual novel! As it’s Onda’s debut work, I thought it would be good to start at the beginning and see how she develops. I also feel like mystery and horror are well suited to being read in autumn :fallen_leaf::ghost:

9 Likes

We have 5 nominations, which is a fine number to start with, I think. If you have a book in mind that you’d like to nominate for our first poll, now is the time. I will open the poll around this time tomorrow.

9 Likes

Poll time! Let’s choose the book we’ll start the club with.
Note that we’ll vote on starting date after we’ve chosen the book.

3 votes may be a bit much for only 5 options, but in another poll I had specified 2 options and ended up finding them too restrictive, so 3 it is. :slight_smile:

You can find the nominations with covers and links at the end of the first post.

The poll will close automatically on 2023-09-12T20:00:00Z

• 蜜蜂と遠雷
  • 月の裏側
  • Q&A
  • ドミノ
  • 六番目の小夜子
0 voters
4 Likes

As I write this we have a four way tie for first place at five votes each :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl: Posting a screenshot for posterity:

I haven’t used all my three votes yet because I couldn’t decide between ドミノ and Q&A, so I may be able to break the tie. But it’s early days yet, so I’m sure it’ll change on its own.

6 Likes

I have placed my votes and now we only have a two way tie. :saluting_face:

7 Likes

Yes I also have one vote in reserve :grin: if it’s down to the wire I will look again!

2 Likes

It’s looking more and more likely that we’ll need a run off vote… :thinking:

Edit: I used my third vote, and we now have a three-way tie. :smiling_imp:
I was supposed to use it to break a tie, but what can you do

6 Likes

I… adjusted some things, and now it’s looking better :sweat_smile:
(but if you prefer me to not do that, I will ofc undo my changes)

3 Likes

Ah, yes, it does look a little clearer now. :grin:
(of course we’re still just one vote away from another tie :popcorn:)

Whyever would I have an opinion on how people vote? The system allows vote changes, and I’m sure everyone votes honestly on what they prefer to read, so if someone changes their mind mid-poll that’s perfectly fine. I added another vote myself only last night after all.

4 Likes

And the winner is 月の裏側! :tada:

Which leads us to the next question - when would you like to start reading?

• Right now!
  • October
  • November
  • December
  • Next year
  • Something else (please specify)
0 voters
2 Likes

I expect to have free time towards the end of September but definitely don’t “right now” :joy:

2 Likes

The book is still heavily discounted right now, and on top of that there is a 45% coin cashback campaign (if one buys books for more than 1500 yen) :rofl:
(Edit: I should mention that this refers to Bookwalker :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

I bought the book (although I have no experience with the author, but the description sounded interesting enough) and am looking forward to reading it with the book club!

It’s also discounted on Amazon currently. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We have a very impressive 100% for November so far :smiley:

5 Likes