2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

so far so good, if I plan this well I can cover a bunch of TBR I have had for FOREVERRRRR :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is good stuff, this is good stuff
I need like
10 more bingos like this
maybe I need more then one card

Can I have multiple cards?

9 Likes

I don’t see any reason of why you couldn’t.

Sky is the limit :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

(a.k.a only if I even finish one lmao)

4 Likes

Once you finish the 4x4, you can make a 5x5 with rejected prompts as well.

7 Likes

Linkies

#1 Free Bingo Card Generator - Play Online or Print Cards
#f89bd9

So excited!!

5 Likes

This is already giving me ideas of what to read next year! A lot of the challenge modifiers are really neat too, idk if I’ll hold myself to it but I might do the “only read books from your backlog” and “must start with a different syllable” modifiers :fire:

#e7b154

What I'm reading! ^_^

KEY
:o: Read
:x: Unread
:open_book: In Progress

MODIFIER
:fire: Each book title/author read must start with a different syllable (e.g., can’t read two books whose titles start with か)

Prompt Book Mora
:o: Author you’ve never read before 気になってる人が男じゃなかった1
:o: Join Book Club 極主夫道13
:open_book: Nonfiction 小学生なら知っておきたい教養366 しょ
:x: Nonhuman protagonist
:x: Debut
:x: Won an award
:x: Bad cover
:x: Setting is a workplace
:o: 1 volume in 1 day かわずや1
:x: Something I added to Natively likely a ゼルダの伝説 manga
:x: Has been in my 積読 the longest NO. 6
:x: Finish a series
:x: No reviews/gradings/ratings
:x: Chosen randomly
:x: At higher Natively level than I’ve read
:x: Something I can read for free 無重力少年
starting morae I can still use
しゃ しゅ
じゃ じゅ じょ
ちゃ ちゅ ちょ
7 Likes

Just for fun, I went and entered in which of the prompts I completed in 2023. Turns out I got 11 of them with 11 unique volumes, but no bingo! It’s possible I read a debut this year, but I got tired of googling so I’m just going to assume I didn’t.

The Books!
Prompt Book
Higher Natively level 逃げるは恥だが役に立つ 1 | L30
Something for free クイーンズ・クオリティ 1 | L29
Read in a single day ホリミヤ 1 | L23
Finish a series QQスイーパー 3 | L26
Non-human protagonist ケサランなにがしとスープ屋さん 1 | L19
Something I added to Natively クロエマ 1 | L29
Longest on the TBR あずまんが大王 2年生 | L25
An author I hadn’t read before また、同じ夢を見ていた L25
Something that’s won an award 世界から猫が消えたなら L29
Book club 木洩れ日に泳ぐ魚 | L31
No reviews/ratings/gradings on Natively マジで付き合う15分前1 | L17??
10 Likes

Here’s mine:

…mine doesn’t look as nice. I was a bit lazy.

Here is 2023 if I’d done it this year:

Nonfic: パパ活
debut work: 推し、燃ゆ
award: きらきらひかる
highest level: この本を盗む者は (it was highest until we read it as a club anyways)
new to me author: 青柳碧人 (赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う。)
1 volume in a day: 幽麗塔
book club book: 予言の島
got it free: multiple Aozora short stories
added to Natively by me: ウツボラ
no one else has read it yet: multiple, but just recently あし because I wanted it to have a rating

11 Likes

thats GENIUS

2 Likes

Okay another question since I’m going through things and found a really bad cover

Is there a minimum on page amount/reading

For example does a oneshot by itself not count but as part of a book you’ve read count

And does it still count as if a theme only appears in It partially (for example of it’s a oneshots book then if there’s a one shot where the MC isn’t human, does it count as reading non-human or does the entire series need to focus on it so no?) :thinking:

At this point I’m just coming across questions in my mind and trying to sort them out lol

Sorry for being overly annoying about details :joy:

5 Likes

I feel like if you want to count a one-shot (even one part of a collection) as a single work, then you can

5 Likes

I think you can just use your best judgement on anything you are questioning. If each prompt had some hard rules, it would 1) take a lot of time to work them out and 2) be a bit silly, since this is just a fun bingo game — why make it so strict? :slightly_smiling_face: People here can also share their thoughts and opinions about things you’re unsure of, so casually asking is an option too if you just want a second opinion.

9 Likes

For this year, if I include LNs and mangas, I have 6 bingos already :upside_down_face:

I’ll edit in the actual titles later when I have the time.

Debut work: There are a few, but let’s say サイレント・ウィッチ (series) | L29
Added to Natively by you: 白昼夢の森の少女
Non-fiction: 自分だけのボードゲームを作ろう ―ゲームをデザインして、作って、みんなでプレイする | L29
Finish a series: There are a few as well, but let’s say 裏世界ピクニック8 共犯者の終り | L33 (assuming it is over; otherwise ベルばら)
Workplace setting: こっち向いてよ向井くん 1 | L22
1 vol in a single day: 推し、燃ゆ | L36 and pretty much any manga
Read for free: 黒猫ニャンゴの冒険 レア属性を引き当てたので、気ままな冒険者を目指します | L29
New to you author: a bunch! Let’s go with 52ヘルツのクジラたち | L31 to feel like we are reading proper books™
Participate in a book club: a few. Let’s say コップクラフト | L35
Bad cover: No comment :see_no_evil: Not on Natively
Non-human protagonist: 転生したら剣でした 1 | L30
Award winner: 52ヘルツのクジラたち | L31 Wait, I used it for new author already… well, never mind. I have no time to update the other one.
No reviews/grading: 東京かくりよ公安局 | L31

Phew, done.

I can get two more bingos by using the free spot on “longest TBR” and then picking a random book from my 積読 pile!

9 Likes

In addition to what the others said, we have people of wildly varying skill levels here, so my take is that if it feels justified for you to count something, then by all means it should count. Something that I count might feel like cheating to you, or the other way around, and that’s the nature of learning :blush:

11 Likes

If I had done it this year, I got an L shaped thing going on :melting_face:

11 Likes

And here’s how I would have fared in 2023:

Do ghosts count as non-human protagonists? Probably not.

I could have counted an Aozora short story for Read 1 vol. in a Single Day, but at 8 pages it just feels like cheating.

I have no hope of crossing out the Finish a Series square as I don’t really read series in the first place (or if I do, I usually stop at the first volume), but the rest of the boxes should be doable for next year.

(I may add the relevant books later, although for most squares there are several candidates)

18 Likes

The little 2023 stamps…! :face_holding_back_tears:

11 Likes

I got mine :raising_hand_woman:t2:

#7df71f
Link

Some of the prompts I think are fun didn’t get enough votes. I might try to read one or two of them as well :sweat_smile:

• Read something written before 1940
  • Read something with a food related title
  • Read a book where the author shares a kana initial with you
  • Read something with elderly main characters
  • Read a book that contains not even a mention of a middle- or high-schooler
11 Likes

Should be fun to chip away at over the year. Don’t know about the bad cover one though.

7 Likes

They do for me as I don’t see myself reading much with animals unless I just knock that out with a kid’s story or something.

8 Likes