2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

For this year, if I include LNs and mangas, I have 6 bingos already :upside_down_face:

I’ll edit in the actual titles later when I have the time.

Debut work: There are a few, but let’s say サイレント・ウィッチ (series) | L29
Added to Natively by you: 白昼夢の森の少女
Non-fiction: 自分だけのボードゲームを作ろう ―ゲームをデザインして、作って、みんなでプレイする | L29
Finish a series: There are a few as well, but let’s say 裏世界ピクニック8 共犯者の終り | L33 (assuming it is over; otherwise ベルばら)
Workplace setting: こっち向いてよ向井くん 1 | L22
1 vol in a single day: 推し、燃ゆ | L36 and pretty much any manga
Read for free: 黒猫ニャンゴの冒険 レア属性を引き当てたので、気ままな冒険者を目指します | L29
New to you author: a bunch! Let’s go with 52ヘルツのクジラたち | L31 to feel like we are reading proper books™
Participate in a book club: a few. Let’s say コップクラフト | L35
Bad cover: No comment :see_no_evil: Not on Natively
Non-human protagonist: 転生したら剣でした 1 | L30
Award winner: 52ヘルツのクジラたち | L31 Wait, I used it for new author already… well, never mind. I have no time to update the other one.
No reviews/grading: 東京かくりよ公安局 | L31

Phew, done.

I can get two more bingos by using the free spot on “longest TBR” and then picking a random book from my 積読 pile!

9 Likes

In addition to what the others said, we have people of wildly varying skill levels here, so my take is that if it feels justified for you to count something, then by all means it should count. Something that I count might feel like cheating to you, or the other way around, and that’s the nature of learning :blush:

11 Likes

If I had done it this year, I got an L shaped thing going on :melting_face:

11 Likes

And here’s how I would have fared in 2023:

Do ghosts count as non-human protagonists? Probably not.

I could have counted an Aozora short story for Read 1 vol. in a Single Day, but at 8 pages it just feels like cheating.

I have no hope of crossing out the Finish a Series square as I don’t really read series in the first place (or if I do, I usually stop at the first volume), but the rest of the boxes should be doable for next year.

(I may add the relevant books later, although for most squares there are several candidates)

18 Likes

The little 2023 stamps…! :face_holding_back_tears:

11 Likes

I got mine :raising_hand_woman:t2:

#7df71f
Link

Some of the prompts I think are fun didn’t get enough votes. I might try to read one or two of them as well :sweat_smile:

• Read something written before 1940
  • Read something with a food related title
  • Read a book where the author shares a kana initial with you
  • Read something with elderly main characters
  • Read a book that contains not even a mention of a middle- or high-schooler
11 Likes

Should be fun to chip away at over the year. Don’t know about the bad cover one though.

7 Likes

They do for me as I don’t see myself reading much with animals unless I just knock that out with a kid’s story or something.

8 Likes

My card for posterity:

#83a2e2

It might be helpful to set up some sort of home post where people can link their master card @bungakushoujo; I’m never going to be able to find this post again when I need it, haha.

My results if I had done the bingo this year:

Read for free: 待つ | L29
Join/participate in a book club: many choices, but here I’ll pick 七回死んだ男 | L34
No reviews/ratings/gradings: レバダン・希望の花 1
Finish a series: ファイアパンチ (series) | L25
An author you’ve never read before: 変な音 | L31
1 vol in a single day: ババンババンバンバンパイア 4 | L25 (my goal next year is to do this w/ a novel)
Setting is a workplace: おいしいごはんが食べられますように
Non-human protagonist: 猫と竜 | L26
A book you added to Natively: FLESH & BLOOD 7 | L34
(A higher level than before): (My highest is L38 薬屋のひとりごと; I’ll have to actively beat that…)
(Nonfiction): (I apparently haven’t read any nonfiction ;_; )
Won an award: 告白 | L33

Not bad overall! I was expecting a very spotty bingo card, but 3 accidental bingos is not bad!

7 Likes

Any ideas how that could look? :thinking: Maybe a fresh post at the start of 2024 with all the info and people have their own bingo post/can post updates? Or some kind of wiki post…? This thread could be relegated to planning only and left to sleep until Q4 2024 if we decide to do a new card for 2025.

4 Likes

I figure that’d be good; we’re already at 200+ replies here, so maybe a fresh start would be good. Have either the first or second post be a wiki post where users can link their bingo cards, and users can use that to jump to their individual bingo home posts.

4 Likes

The second post on this thread could be repurposed as a table, with wiki

3 Likes

Just a table where we have our names and a link to our home post should suffice. I don’t think we necessarily need a new thread for that.

Something like this:

Name Bingo Card Bingos so far
Napthalene #d9b84a 0
shablul #41b76a 0
omk3 #faf308 0
Belerith #0f74a1 0

etc

8 Likes

^^^^^

This on the second post repurposing, and give the community wiki edit privileges and should be enough IMHO.

4 Likes

Seems like a fantastic solution, will do that when I am at a computer again in the next day or so (sad mobile user noises, formatting stuff is hard) and update the thread to let everyone know. I will also include some instructions for using bingo baker in the top post.

In other admin news, was everyone ok with @Naphthalene ’s suggestion of renaming the highest bingo prize rank to 一目十行 and keeping the others as suggested? Or did we have further suggestions?

9 Likes

The only change I’d be making over omk3’s table, is putting usernames like: @Megumin so you can hover over the username.

Where are we using this ranks btw? Will it be set up in the forums as a title? Will it be some flare on the website? Because if so you might want to specify either the edition or the year, and ideally have the titles being constant over next editions. Of course this is quite long term… and might not be repeated for some reason…

1 Like

Wouldn’t that result in everyone being notified every time the table is edited? Not to mention that I think there’s a limit to how many people can be mentioned in one post.

5 Likes

Eehh god point. Disregard then.

3 Likes

So, regarding each point…

1. Where to display titles: The thought was that it’s an informal fun thing you can add to your natively profile about me section. There was some talk of maybe trying to make custom forum flairs (such as how we can select “Regular” at the moment if it has been unlocked), but I think that is something for @brandon to confirm and provide more info about, as I’m not sure if it’s possible. :slightly_smiling_face:
  2. About long term thinking: this was just kind of an idea that popped into my head and we’ve all been collaboratively organizing it as we go now as a community, but my individual thought is we either have different titles each year or add 2024 to differentiate and keep them discrete. That way we are flexible if people want to do something different in the future one day if we do continue with bingo. Open to any and all thoughts about this one, though!
4 Likes

I’m good with it!

I know you’ve been pretty busy with the tags/CSV dump lately @brandon, but wanted to see if you had any thoughts on this.

3 Likes