2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

We can just use one of the discourse pre-defined ones and go for the bronze-silver-gold depending on the amount of bingos.

The checkbox one fits enough I guess.

4 Likes

I’m so easily distracted. As if I don’t have work to do. Anyway, something like this then (but prettier)?

Edit: Found a nice brush font

12 Likes

I’m not the most knowledgeable about discourse - would the idea be that we have some contest/poll to get badge ideas (similar to the cool looking ones @omk3 just mocked up) and those can be enabled for people?

I’m happy to help coordinate whatever and gather ideas, just need to know what the requirements and open questions are :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m currently trying to retrofit this year’s books to my Bingo Card, but I’m not really sure how I can find out which books were added by me? And also whether I finished a book where I was the first grader? How did you all do this retroactively?

Here is the Bingo Card I generated by the way:

5 Likes

I checked the emails from brandon saying he added my books :slight_smile: (I don’t always keep them, but some I had)

And I definitely know I was the first grader in books I had added myself, so…

I tend to add a lot of books anyway, and several books I’ve read are only read by me, so in this case it’s easy :joy:

8 Likes

My card:

(seed 6554ace17c3115bc)

Looks like for this year so far I’d have 7/16 but no bingos.

2024 entries:
暗殺の年輪 | L41 for “debut work” (would also be valid for “award winner” and “no reviews or gradings”).

痴人の愛 | L41 for “something you can read for free”.

傲慢と善良 | L33 for “author you’ve never read before” (would also be valid for “book club”).

迷い猫オーバーラン! 拾ってなんていってないんだからね!! | L27 for “been in the TBR pile the longest”

黒い森の記憶 | L31 for “book club”

遠巷説百物語 | L42 for “finish a series”

紫水晶殺人事件 | L30?? for “no reviews, gradings or ratings”.

5 Likes

I went (for the list) with a book where I was the only grader (and only person to have finished it). That way I know I was the first :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Ah, that’s smart! I couldn’t find any mails any more :woman_shrugging:

Makes sense :rofl: How can you find out (in a list, without opening every book) how many gradings each book has? Neither the “books” list nor the “gradings” list show this information… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m sorry, you just have to do some tedious work for your past year bingo. :frowning:
None of this information is visible from any books list as far as I know.

3 Likes

I feared as much :sob: I just figured I’d better ask in case I overlooked something important :sweat_smile:

Thanks for answering my impatient questions!

2 Likes

As @omk3 said, it takes a bit of legwork (clickwork?). I had a few guesses for stuff that I remembered had a temporary level. I might have misremembered some, but quite quickly I got one that fit.
It helps that I read a lot of random stuff no one cares about.

6 Likes

I filled mine out with my 2023 books so far and

not bad. tbh I could probably get a second bingo with a qualifier, but I should sleep

6 Likes

Non-human protag is what you need right now.
(Or one more bingo by reading some random garbage free to read on Amazon/Bookwalker/Booklive)

3 Likes

Hmm, Mushishi is my longest on tbr pile (I think it might be the first book I bought with the intention of reading it in Japanese :thinking: ) which could also hit non-human protag, but I want to save it for next year as like a sort of a 5 years in Japan milestone. I could try to find something on the Jump app since I already have it. Amazon will probably give me more weird emails in the future lol

edit: Hetalia’s currently free so I’m tempted to read that lmao

6 Likes

Hi all, just some housekeeping stuff:

• The second post on this thread is now a wiki and contains a table for you to add your username and bingo card to keep track of it throughout the year
  • I have tidied up the home post and added instructions for making a bingo card, rules, and a frequently asked questions section
14 Likes

Okay, so this is now my official card for 2024:

#9f5de0

Qualifiers
  • Read the book you bought the earliest
  • Read the latest book you bought
  • Read the book published most recently
  • Read the book published earliest
  • Read the book with the shortest title
  • Read the book with the longest title
  • Read the book with the most colourful cover
  • Read the book with the simplest cover
  • Read a book with warm colours on the cover
  • Read a book with cool colours on the cover
  • Read the book with the darkest cover
  • Read the book with the lightest cover
  • Read a book by a male author
  • Read a book by a female author
  • Read the next book in a series you have started (if applicable)
  • Read a book that you don’t remember why you bought/what it’s about
  • Read the longest book in your pile
  • Read the shortest book in your pile
  • Read the easiest book in your pile
  • Read the hardest book in your pile
  • Start the book you hesitate to read the most
Tracker (9/16)
  1. :white_check_mark: Read something with no reviews/gradings/ratings on Natively:
    https://learnnatively.com/book/af8a8ab63b/
    サクラダリセット 上 | L24
  2. Read a book that you added to Natively: :sunglasses:
  3. Read the book that has been in your 積読/TBR pile the longest:
  4. Read a book chosen with a qualifier from the qualifier list: :sunglasses:
  5. :white_check_mark: Read a debut:
    ハサミ男 | L35
  6. :white_check_mark: Read an author you’ve never read before:
    チュベローズで待ってる AGE22 | L32
    その日のまえに | L28
    永遠の昨日 | L27
  7. :white_check_mark: Read something that has won an award:
    ハンチバック | L32
  8. Finish a series:
    少女マンガじゃない! 1 下駄箱からラブレター...じゃなくて果たし状!? | L23
  9. :white_check_mark: Join/Participate in a Book Club:
    今日からマ王! 魔王誕生編 | L33
  10. :white_check_mark: Read something non-fiction:
    世界一やさしい「やりたいこと」の見つけ方 人生のモヤモヤから解放される自己理解メソッド | L24
  11. Read 1 vol. or story in a single day:
    少女マンガじゃない! 1 下駄箱からラブレター...じゃなくて果たし状!? | L23
  12. Read a book with a non human protagonist: :thinking:
  13. :white_check_mark: Read something at a higher Natively level than what you’ve read so far:
    痴人の愛 | L42
  14. :white_check_mark: Read something from the free samples/something you can read for free:
    私の夫は冷凍庫に眠っている | L28
  15. Read something where the setting is a workplace:
  16. Read a book with a bad cover / read a book you bought or wanted to read despite the cover:
    エゴイスト | L29

Higher level will be tricky… my highest is currently 42, but it’s an outlier. :fearful: this might become my “FREE” joker or I might just “cheat” a bit and say “higher than last year” :cold_sweat:

9 Likes

Mmm, I’m not likely to be able to get that one either – after I read 吾輩は猫である | L48 last year that’s left me with only 5 books on Natively that would count once you take out the textbooks and the ?? temporary gradings and the later volumes in the 三国志 series…

@brandon – forum URL expansion is still flaky :frowning: – failed to expand on first two edits, succeeded on third.

8 Likes

Just gotta stretch out that 痴人の愛 into next year. :eyes:

4 Likes

but then I have to find another book for ‘bad cover’ :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

I figure a bad cover is easier to find than a high-level book, right? At least if your level search starts in the top half of the 30s/the 40s, at least.

3 Likes